800 yard rifle

I got into long range shooting/hunting in 2006. As it happens, there was a guy, that lives nearby, who builds guns and teaches classes, on just about everything you you'd need to know on the topic. I can't express how valuable that education was, right out of the gate! There are many combinations of calibers, and optics that will do the job, out to 800 yards. However, if you have talent, and a willingness to learn; I'd say step up your game! Don't limit yourself...when the option presents itself! The .338 RUM, or .338 Edge, will put a 300gr bullet down range with enough velocity, and energy, to establish dominance! The rest is up to you. Whatever you choose...put in the time; practice in all conditions and with every conceivable scenario. Never, ever, be ashamed to pass on a shot that you're not comfortable with. Also, be sure you can recover the game. A half-mile is a lot of real-estate. One last suggestion; buy premium optics!! Can't stress that enough. NightForce, or something equivalent.
Good hunting 👍

If you can't shoot past 500yds with confidence then don't shoot at game past that.
Nothing wrong with reserve performance like having a diesel engine. May not need it 90% of the time but that other 10%, you'll be glad you had it. Future may hold the ability for him to do enough range work to make a 500 yard shot, a chip shot. Then having that 300WM/PRC or even 338 RUM/LM worth owning. Don't ever say never in this scenario if you enjoy hunting and shooting.

I happen to be 74 years old, and I own and love to shoot my 270 Weatherby mag, and My 300 Weatherby mag. . The 270 Weatherby mag went to the Long range shooting school and hit targets over and over at 1000 and 1100 yards, with the 150 Grn ABLR's. Cant wait to do, the same with the 300 Weatherby using 190 Grn LR Target bullets. However , when the discussion turns to Hunting and killing animals , I try to think of the Foot Pounds of energy that my specific load will deliver, and at what ranges , and determine if it is actually enough energy to do the job , well. I have no science to fall back on to help solve this problem. I wish I did. I think that Elk need very close to1900/ 2000 pounds of energy, with a well-constructed bullet, correctly placed, to be taken cleanly!! As I stated, I have no science , only what I remember from books I have read over many years. Yet I see guys on TV shooting elk with a 6.5 Creed at 400 yards and I am not sure the energy from a 140 Grn. Bullet , is anywhere close to 2000 pounds. For Whitetail deer, my number is about 1200 /1300 Foot Pounds at what ever range you think your going to shoot. As a result of my lack of knowledge, I have set personal guidelines for each of my calibers, that I would not wish to go beyond. Conservative for sure. I would love to know what formula you guys use to gauge the animal, and the range and how much energy is generally needed!!! Lets all agree shot placement is extremely important, and proceed from that point Thanks all,

Recent Posts