300 WSM on a long action

I run my 300 wsm on a tl3 long action with aics 338 lapua magazines and it runs and feeds just fine.

Feeding it various pva monolithic solids and it's been awesome.

I can tell you if you free bore your chamber to allow for a 215 Berger its too long to feed out of a XM or Midaction. I am having to jump .08 to the lands to get the round in my mid action box mag. I had to seat my COAL at 3.2120 to get it to feed. This is why Im interested in how it feeds from a long action.

I built a 6.5 WSM on a long action. The only potential issue with a long action is that you may have to fiddle with the feed lips on the mag to get it to feed right so the round doesn't pop up too soon and jam. I ended up finding some magazines from Curtis Customs with very long feed lips and they worked perfect. I think they were left over from some project he was trying.

I can tell you if you free bore your chamber to allow for a 215 Berger its too long to feed out of a XM or Midaction. I am having to jump .08 to the lands to get the round in my mid action box mag. I had to seat my COAL at 3.2120 to get it to feed. This is why Im interested in how it feeds from a long action.

my coal range from 3.400-3.600 ish with no issues from an AICS Lapua mag.... don't know about a blind box mag though.

Last edited:
I think this is a good question, and I don't see it discussed much.

If a guy is ok with foregoing the magazine and 'single loading', he can load to whatever OACL he wants in a short action. The MAIN benifet of a long action is being able to load the chamber from the magazine, and eject loaded rounds. With a short action and long OACLs, sometimes the bolt needs to be removed to get a round out of the chamber because it is too long to pass through the ejection port.

Magazine length is interesting. Manufacturers do different things when it comes to magazine length, and with aftermarket 'bottom metal' options, sometimes it's possible to extend the magazine length some.

here is a thread worth looking at;

Not all chambers are equal, either. See

Hand skills, do you happen to know what the max oal could be with the 300 wsm? I'm leaning towards the defiance xm with the bdl bottom metal that gives me 3.2 oal. Thank you.

That is going to depend on which bullet(s) you are using.

See the link I posted in post #5

You might have to redefine your overall COAL goal by using a long action. As @Hand Skills noted, the .300 WSM takes on new life at >3.1." "I" personally would save the RUM action for a project where you can take full advantage of its benefits. "I" would go with 7MM RM/300 WM LA, but that's just me. Below is one of my .300 WSM's load (215 Berger with a COAL of 2.97") on a PMag 7MM RM/.300 WM LA that easily accommodates 3.5" COAL.

View attachment 266297

Just my 2-pence for your consideration.

Ed
Feenix,

This is a critical question for me; Does this post suggest that a 7 RM, 300 WM, or 264 WM action is more than sufficient for a 300 WSM long action build?

Also, in your opinion/experience; is there any benefit to CRF when feeding a repeater from a magazine?

Since I did not get any reply to the above, I'm rephrasing my question to all who have relevant experience.

Are any of the action / magazine feed issues that have been experienced resolved or remedied by building with Control Round Feed?
Thanks

Since I did not get any reply to the above, I'm rephrasing my question to all who have relevant experience.

Are any of the action / magazine feed issues that have been experienced resolved or remedied by building with Control Round Feed?
Thanks
I had a 300WSM in a Winchester CRF and had zero problems

Feenix,

This is a critical question for me; Does this post suggest that a 7 RM, 300 WM, or 264 WM action is more than sufficient for a 300 WSM long action build?

Also, in your opinion/experience; is there any benefit to CRF when feeding a repeater from a magazine?
Sorry, I just saw your post. Yes, I am suggesting LA.

No experience with CRF.

I have a Win Mod 70 EW - 'short' action (actually allows a little over 3.1" in the mag box)

No problems feeding, but mine is from 2009.

I do remember hearing of problems with some of the first WSM's.

I have only seen one that did not feed reliably myself - it just required a little tuning (opening up) of the feed lips.

My research suggests this problem was limited to early 2000's production actions.