300 win mag reloads

buzzyb

I have a custom built 300 mag that I am loading for and I have a load that shoots 11/2 inch groups at 400 yrds at 3 different
CBTO 2.945, 2.935 and 2.923 with 76gr H-1000 215 Berger's what can I do to try to tighten the group.
thanks buzzyb

Fine tune the seating depth by going up & down by .005" and see if any of them tighten.
A powder change may also be in order.
I like RETUMBO in my 300's with pills above 210gr.

Cheers.

That's .375 MOA group and is pretty darn good. Not knocking you for the pursuit of perfection, I've done it myself. Like others have said, play with seating and try a primer change if that won't budge it.
Good luck, you have a very solid load, don't drive yourself crazy looking for perfection.
Something else I do is when I find a load, deep clean the rifle and put a dozen shots down it and record where accuracy is at with clean vs fouled bore. My 7mag and Rum's are completely different beasts when clean vs fouled. My pet loads for 7mm love clean bore and my Rum loads like 4-8 shots when they really suck in tight. Just an idea.

Last edited:
If you can really get 1.5" at 400 yards every time then I would call that good enough. Would love to see a target with 5 aim points and five 1.5" groups on it shot back to back. That would be GREAT consistency out of a hunting rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.