.300 Win Mag Reloads

Kobra

I need some educated guesses from everyone on this factory load my rifle likes as it shots .6" group:

Remington Premier .300 WM 180gr Ballistic Tip

So
Remington brass
Remington 9 1/2 M Primer
Nosler 180gr Ballistic Tip

Any good guesses on the closest powder? And amount? I need to find someone with a chrono to help narrow it down.

I was ready to junk this Rem 700 ADL and these rounds when on sale so I tried them to the above success.

I need some educated guesses from everyone on this factory load my rifle likes as it shots .6" group:

Remington Premier .300 WM 180gr Ballistic Tip

Any good guesses on the closest powder? And amount?

You are probably aware that Remington has their own proprietary powders, but you can simply pull one of your factory rounds and weigh the powder so you get an idea of how full the case is.

You are also correct in needing to find the velocity so you can attempt to duplicate it.

There are so many good powders that will work in the 300 mag with a 180 bullet:

VV N165, VV N160, VV N560
H1000
Retumbo
H4831SC
Re22
Re25
MRP/MRP-2
IMR4831, 7828
Magpro
Ramshot Magnum
US869
XMR3100

Even the 4350s

Nosler's website shows IMR4350 giving best velocity, 3130, and the max load of this powder was best tested within its charges. Re22 was only a few fps slower at 3118, but also the max load was most accurate.

Last edited:
There really isn't any way to get the same round loaded. Remington isn't going to give up their secrets. However, as Derek said there are many different powders available to shoot so why not just do some experimenting of your own.

As I figured. I was hoping you guys had a natural good guess to help narrow it down. With it being Remington and a custom powder, I figured I was out of luck. I guess I'll wait to see what fps I am getting and find out how many grains are in there.........

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.