Barnes brass for 300 Win Mag reloads?

Barnes brass is fine, however... the batch I have in .300 Winchester Magnum has a somewhat greater capacity than the batch of Winchester brass I have been using. With a 200 grain Sierra GK, I must use 1.5 grains more powder (H4831) with the Barnes brass to get the same velocity and accuracy as when using the Winchester cases.

The Barnes brass weighs almost ten percent less than the Winchester brass. Again this is based on only one batch of brass for each brand.
I assume lighter brass implies thinner wall, and hence probably shorter reloading life?

I assume lighter brass implies thinner wall, and hence probably shorter reloading life?
I don't know about case life with the Barnes .300 brass yet, but would not assume case life would suffer as a result of lighter brass. Having tried "light" brass vs. "heavy" brass in other cartridges, I've seen no difference in case life.

I had the opportunity to shoot some the the Govt 300 Win sniper ammo once. The cases are Federal and the accuracy was great. I was able to get some once fired from Bartlett (GIbrass.com) .
"300 Win Mag Once-fired, military contract loaded by Federal Cartridge, FC12 headstamp.
Primers are not crimped in. Cleaned and polished.
Should be same lot number. Nice clean brass.
$60/100; $$275/500; $500/1000 "

very pleased for my R8 groups about .5 at 100yds with H1000.

Just another though on brass.

The Barnes ammo is Remington, got family and friends that work at the ammo plant. Load it like you would any other, start low and work your way up. Nothing special about it.

hunter0528,
our Gov .300 WinMag Sniper ammo is Federal loaded match with 190 SMK (MK248 mod0) or 220 SMK (MK248 mod1, that I haven't seen for several years due to pressure issues). It's pretty decent stuff. Probably drew close to 100,000 rounds of it this past year for our students. Wish we were shooting a better bullet but hey I don't get to make those decisions. Not to say there isn't something in the works.

First time Ive heard something like this about copper projectiles. Is this common undisputable knowledge that I just never acquired? How close is too close to the lands? Is there a sweet spot where theres less jump but still a little jump? Or do you just load to SAMMI specs on all mono reloads?
Barnes recommends .050 jump. With that said, I load my 7mm rem Mag to the SAAMI 3.290 oal and I'm .5 moa. That is not to my lands though. I don't know how much of a jump I'm getting, but it is some.

Last edited:
I have been picking up Barnes 300wm brass at the range and have about 70 cases.

I'm a real range rat when it comes to picking up brass at the range so I've got a lot of it by many manufacturers.

That said, the 300wm Barnes brass is not the same color is Remington brass. I happen to have a couple hundred brand new never fired 300wm Remington cases.

I have always thought they were made by Norma because the color of the Norma (300wm) cases and the Barnes are very similar.

I know that's not very scientific, just an observation I've made.

But who knows...they might all be made by Remington now. To be honest I have not picked up any Barnes 300wm brass this fall.

The Barnes ammo is Remington, got family and friends that work at the ammo plant. Load it like you would any other, start low and work your way up. Nothing special about it.

hunter0528,
our Gov .300 WinMag Sniper ammo is Federal loaded match with 190 SMK (MK248 mod0) or 220 SMK (MK248 mod1, that I haven't seen for several years due to pressure issues). It's pretty decent stuff. Probably drew close to 100,000 rounds of it this past year for our students. Wish we were shooting a better bullet but hey I don't get to make those decisions. Not to say there isn't something in the works.

yea the stuff i got was in the Original White boxes. Performance was excellent. Got to shoot it at 1000yds and had little to no difficulty hitting the traget. My load is 74 gr H1000 and ELDX 190. seated about .01-.02 from the lands. oal 3.535"

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.