300 Win Mag Reloading help

bk24306

I am reloading 168 grand Barnes TTSX in 300 win mag. I have trimmed my cased to 2.594". I am using 76 grains of IMR 7828. My press is RCBS with RCBS dies. I have noticed that my COAL is ranging from 3.294 to about 3.323. I am not adjusting the press or die in between loads.

My question is: Why am i getting different COAL when the die and press are locked into place?

you need to get a comparter to measure off the ogive of the bullets and adjust the seater die in or out to get all the same length.and i think you are trimming your brass to short 2.610 is trim minium going by my books.

Ok I will look into those. I was trimming at 2.610 per the books but the case was hitting the chamber. I am shooting the Remington 700 with the 5R barrel. Thanks for the tip. Any other tips are much appreciated.

Ok I will look into those. I was trimming at 2.610 per the books but the case was hitting the chamber. I am shooting the Remington 700 with the 5R barrel. Thanks for the tip. Any other tips are much appreciated.

Not exactly sure what you you meant by "hitting the chamber"? I agree that measuring your COAL to the ogive which will take into consideration differences in bullet length. It seems like a lot though. Another possible cause of variable COAL can be the combination of a tight bullet fit n the neck of your case combined with a bullet seater that doesn't match up well with the shape of the bullet. The bullet tip could be slightly deformed when seating causing the COAL difference. Too loose a bullet fit will also give variation. I would also check your caliper's accuracy. IMO.

May I ask how you determined that the cases were hitting the chamber?
In most chambers that are SAAMI spec, even at the max case length, there will be .020" of room before the neck will touch the throat.

In regard to your COAL not being consistent, it may be at the ogive but not at the tip due to the plastic tip. As stated above, get yourself a comparator and measure off the ogive for consistency. Unless your seater plug is the wrong shape/depth, it should seat your bullets consistently in regard to base to ogive length.

Cheers.
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.