Reload Help 300 Win Mag

stevotary

I reloaded for the first time. I took some of my spent Hornaby casing. I followed the Hornady reloading manual. The only thing I am not sure off is the primer I used. Is CCI 250 okay?

Ingredients:
Spent Hornaby Casing
IMR 7828 Powder
CCI 250 Primer <-- Is this okay
180 Grain Hornady BTSP

I did 4 of each Powder Amount to see what my gun liked the most:
64.2gr
67.0gr
69.7gr
72.4gr
75.2gr

Again this is my first time. Any recommendations or warnings if I did something wrong would be appreciated.

what are you hunting? what rifle/scope. max in my sierra manual is 79 so you should be fine with that ladder.

what are you hunting? what rifle/scope. max in my sierra manual is 79 so you should be fine with that ladder.

-I typically hunt Whitetail, but I'm going on an Elk Hunt this year in Colorado.

-I have a Remington Sendero 300 Win Mag with a Huskemaw 5-20 Rifle Scope.

-Right now I have it sighted in with factory ammo 180 gr SST® Superformance shooting approx 1 MOA Groups. When I get out to 700 yards my shots are floating Right 4-6 inches. I want to see if the hand loads with the boat tail will fix that.

Forgot to mention that the Hornady's are Interlock.

I reloaded for the first time. I took some of my spent Hornaby casing. I followed the Hornady reloading manual. The only thing I am not sure off is the primer I used. Is CCI 250 okay?

Ingredients:
Spent Hornaby Casing
IMR 7828 Powder
CCI 250 Primer <-- Is this okay
180 Grain Hornady BTSP

I did 4 of each Powder Amount to see what my gun liked the most:
64.2gr
67.0gr
69.7gr
72.4gr
75.2gr

Again this is my first time. Any recommendations or warnings if I did something wrong would be appreciated.

my most common load is 72 of re-22 and a 210 berger in my 300 sendero. i have only shot it in matches. i carried the 7mm sndero when hunting. hopefully you can get closer than 700 to an elk the wind is difficult to predict the futher you get out there. any of the 180's should be fine. 250 or wlrm primers. and 7828 or H-1000 powder. enjoy.

I've gone up to 78 grains I 7828 on a 180 hornady(fb or bt doesn't matter and they are both interlock) with my 300 win. It depends on the rifle though, some get rather stiff by 76 or 77 grains.

The wlrm, cci 250, and 215 are what I use for the most part; with the 215 being the go-to in the larger cases I load. I've got some rem lrm primers, but I really am not as trusting in their abilities to light a lot of powder.

Hornady load data is not really bullet specific as far as they lump all bullets of the same weight not design together. If you chronograph your hand loads with cci 250 primers they won't match hornadys published velocities, but neither do loads with reccommended wlrm primers. I believe their velocity data is computer generated not actual shot averages. Your cci 250 primers are fine, just work up to max powder loads carefully, checking for signs of over pressure (excessively flattened or cratered primers or stress cracks in cases)

aim small hit small

Though I usually use Federal 215M primers in my 300 Win. Mag., CCI 250 primers are OK.

h29zo99.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.