300 win mag recoil

ablank45

Alright guys in looking to get a new elk gun and ive been debating between the 300 win mag and 300wsm. I am really leaning towards the 300 win mag but the one thing I'm worried about is recoil. The last 3 years I hunted with the weatherby vanguard 300wsm but I hated the trigger. I do like the new weatherby vanguard s2 and am considering getting it in a 300 win mag. Will the recoil be much different do you think? I was thinking with a limbsaver recoil pad shooting a 180 grain bullet the recoil will be the same but I'm not sure. Any input on this?? And what do you think of the new s2?? Anything helps! Thanks guys!

The 300win burns slightly more powder on average than the 300wsm, so the recoil will be a touch higher, but I doubt you will notice the difference in rifles of equal weight. My 300rum, on the other hand, will flat get your attention.

45, the 300 WM would be great even with the slight increase of recoil. The Vanguards have 24 inch barrels and the 300 WM in a 26 inch would be a lot more productive. Also your 300 WSM could benefit from a Timney trigger about $120. Very easy to install. Good luck with your choice.

I have a s2 and love it other then the 24inch barrel... But I got a good deal on it so I'll make it work lol maybe rebarrel it someday. The trigger is... different not bad but the two stage takes some getting used to

I have a howa 1500 with the same trigger as the new s2 and I really like it so that's part of the reason I like the s2. But I don't reload at all and I know how hard it is to find factory ammo for the 300wsm so that is why I'm thinking the 300 win mag. But at the same time I don't want to develop a flinch if the recoil is too bad. I never had problems with my 300wsm so I'm thinking the 300 win mag will be fine as well as long as I don't get a really light weight gun like the tikka.

I have a howa 1500 with the same trigger as the new s2 and I really like it so that's part of the reason I like the s2. But I don't reload at all and I know how hard it is to find factory ammo for the 300wsm so that is why I'm thinking the 300 win mag. But at the same time I don't want to develop a flinch if the recoil is too bad. I never had problems with my 300wsm so I'm thinking the 300 win mag will be fine as well as long as I don't get a really light weight gun like the tikka.

I can tell you in my opinion. I really do not like the recoil of the short mags. I have shot them in all calibers from 300 to 270 and 7mm and in all different kinds remingtons, browning x-bolts to lever actions, winchesters. They all seem to jump. I would way rather shoot a long action magnum in any of the above calibers. ( I also do own some short mags)
One other thing is I have a lot of people bring guns over in the magnum calibers for me to "sight in" for them. Reason being they are scared to shoot them. Most of them are light weight short barreled 300 magnums of sorts. And do really kick. I find that a lot of the more inexpensive guns that are in the magnum calibers are the the poorest design and kick the hardest.
So stock design and weight have the biggest impact on recoil. And if you find a gun you like and it kicks to hard have a quality brake installed and it will be all good.

The original Vanguard trigger was pretty horrible. Change it to a Timney and it makes a huge difference.

My WSM factory barrel was fine, just standard Weatherby, 2 shots and it gets hot. Changed it to a Pac-Nor. Way good.

The VG2 seems to have fixed some of these issues. In WSM or WM little difference, IMO. Recoil is different but the same. The power of the recoil is virtually the same the feel is different. I would rather shoot a WSM or WM over a 30-06. I don't like the feel of the 30-06 and derivatives. Each has preferences.

If your WSM shoots then change the trigger and it's a VG2.

If it is not your favorite then by all means go with a WM. Turn your WSM into a 6.5 SSM

BTW: Weatherby seems to have dropped the WSM.

All things being equal I don't think you'll notice much change.

Recoil can be managed, by a stock change, a muzzle break, or just going heavier overall. I like the .300 Winchester, but choosing between it and it's cousin the WSM, I'd always choose a rifle style that suited me best.

Recoil calculator Recoil Calculator

If you handload for the 300 win mag you can always manipulate the load with a lighter bullet or use a heavy bullet with less powder. Do some tweaking on the calculator. I have found that my tolerance for recoil is around 36 ft/lb .

Most of us object to recoil when working up loads on the bench. If you can place the rifle a bit higher on the rest and bags that helps. A slip on recoil pad also helps. I like this one:

The Shooter's Friend Recoil Pad : Cabela's

in the heat of the moment I never feel recoil. only when I am sighting it in. I have a 300wm ruger hawkeye m77 all weather. when my adrenalin is running during a hunt I cant even remember the kick at all. different story when I am at the range and atleast that gun has some weight to it. cant image a light weight gun with 180g noslers without a break

cant image a light weight gun with 180g noslers without a break

LOL I've got a .300 Winchester Magnum specifically for bench, and prone work. Our first session at the the range with 180'S was an "Oh Hell No" moment, it now has a break, in spite of pushing 14lbs.

In my youth the .375 from the bench with 350 grain bullets was something I did regularly without complaining.

Alright guys in looking to get a new elk gun and ive been debating between the 300 win mag and 300wsm. I am really leaning towards the 300 win mag but the one thing I'm worried about is recoil. The last 3 years I hunted with the weatherby vanguard 300wsm but I hated the trigger. I do like the new weatherby vanguard s2 and am considering getting it in a 300 win mag. Will the recoil be much different do you think? I was thinking with a limbsaver recoil pad shooting a 180 grain bullet the recoil will be the same but I'm not sure. Any input on this?? And what do you think of the new s2?? Anything helps! Thanks guys!

There are plenty of effective muzzle brakes out in the market ... install one of them and be done with it. It makes shooting a lot more pleasant and forgiving --- "get a muzzle brake and give your shoulder a break".

Good luck and happy safe hunting/shooting.

i have shot the 300 rsaum , the 3-00 wsm and the 300 wm . there is not much difference to me. i would put a vais break on it. . much better.

I've seen how well muzzle breaks work, but at the same time I don't want to spend an extra $250 for a muzzle break and the noise is almost unbearable. I've had guys shooting them next to me at the rifle range and even with ear plugs they are crazy loud. Seems how it is a hunting rifle I won't be a hooting it a lot. I just want it to be tolerable to shoot a few times to get it dialed in. And like i said im used to my 300wsm shooting a 180gr bullet and I've never had problems shooting that. So with that s2 weighing 7.25 pounds plus my vortex viper scope weighing 1 pound I think it should be pretty similar to my 300wsm. I really like the tikka super lite as well but I know that would not be comfortable to shoot at all without a brake. Thanks for the input so far guys!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.