300 win mag build ideas.

Timmyatneb

Hi .i pickup up an 700 rem in 300 win mag . A couple months ago and am trying to decide on what caliber or cartrige to have it shoot . Wan't to make it a longrange gun ,somthing thats fairly easy to reload for no fireforming just load a shoot. Lots of steel and probably deer sized game to 1000 yards . Just cant decide what to do. Need some ideas. Thanks

I did the same about 10 months ago. Decided on 300 WSM with 215 gr Bergers. Stripped the 700 down to the action and built it up from there with everything else new. I am very happy it. Can find components and easy to load.

Hi .i pickup up an 700 rem in 300 win mag . A couple months ago and am trying to decide on what caliber or cartrige to have it shoot . Wan't to make it a longrange gun ,somthing thats fairly easy to reload for no fireforming just load a shoot. Lots of steel and probably deer sized game to 1000 yards . Just cant decide what to do. Need some ideas. Thanks

.300 Ackley is my suggestion. The caliber was literally born to shoot 1K BR comps. Not to mention it will be a unique caliber that not many folks have. Only downside is that you will most likely have to have a set of custom dies made. I have not had a custom set made yet, as I am still using a RCBS .300 Wby neck-sizer die, and seater die to load for mine. It's a cheap way to get started, but you will eventually want to have a custom set of dies made.

I know you said you didn't want to fireform, but forming .300 Ackely cases is as simple as it gets. They are formed out of regular .300 Weatherby Mag cases, which can be found just about everywhere. It is as simple as loading up your .300 Wby cases, and shooting them. No special prep work, no extra time spent, and if you shoot factory .300 Wby ammo, you won't be wasting any barrel life, because you will breaking the barrel in, and forming cases at the same time.

Nosler Custom Reloading Brass 300 Weatherby Mag Box of 50

My top choices would be a 300 Win throated correctly for the 215 Berger, 7mm-300 Win throated for 195/180 Berger then a 300 WSM throated for the 215 Berger.

Can i run regular remington mag with berger 215 or will i have to buy an aftermarket magazine.?

Depends on the throat, the Berger 215 as well as the 195 in the 7mm seated ideally just barely need a Wyatt's box mag which is an easy job and well worth it. The 300WSM would not need a box mag but would possibly need the feed rails tuned to feed.

I replaced the Remington metal with Kwik Klip and it works fine. Have to fiddle with the magazine a bit to get 3 rounds in but once done it's fine. Allow me plenty of room to seat the 215's way out there. My COAL is 3.283.

Ok think ill go with 300 win and 215 bergers . Do i need box mag like wyatts. I think wyatts inside lenght is 3.6 . . I see stockeys sales stocks with the wyatts box mag also think that would be a good place to get one. What twist barrel mabey 1-10. Should i try to find one with R 5 rifleing?. Thanks everone for the help. Oh and thinking 28 in barrel . What countour iam thinking mabey sendaro?

Ok think ill go with 300 win and 215 bergers . Do i need box mag like wyatts. I think wyatts inside lenght is 3.6 . . I see stockeys sales stocks with the wyatts box mag also think that would be a good place to get one. What twist barrel mabey 1-10. Should i try to find one with R 5 rifleing?. Thanks everone for the help. Oh and thinking 28 in barrel . What countour iam thinking mabey sendaro?

Remington 700 5R - .300 Win Mag - 26" 85505 - Mile High Shooting Accessories

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/22...afety-1-1-2-to-4-lb-blue?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Ok iam going 300 win and 215 bergers. Will a 26 inch barrel be good enought. Wanna use h1000. As i have a few big containers. I was thinking #4 bartlin barrel. Should i go longer than 26 or will 26 do to 1000k alright?

I've built both 26 and 28 inch and I think if there is no specific reason to keep it short or light I'd do a 28 all day. Your need for a wyatts will depend on the reamer free bore, anything over .140 free bore will need the wyatts, I like a .190+ free bore for the 215.

I really like the Sendero contour for a rifle that is going to ride a bipod and rear bag for 99% of it's shooting, I like the Bartlein 3b or Kreiger, Hart #4 for a general purpose hunter shooting rig.

Another thing is if the rifle is a Remington built recently like in the last year, it will likely need the primary extraction fixed, there coming out with little to no primary extraction, bolt timing of and many extractors muffed up from day one.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.