300 weatherby free bore

coyotelite

I have an m70 classic sporter chambered in 300 weatherby. running 80.5 grains of h1000, federal 215's behind the 210 vld. i'm sub 1" at 100 but im sure I can do better. My question is about seating depth. Right now im .015 shorter than the factory mag well but this leaves a ton of room to mess with seating depth. problem is, any longer and now its a single shot. have any of you found improvements in accuracy with this caliber and free bore by adjusting seating depth and if so, whats your OAL?

I have a Sako chambered for 300 Weatherby and just seated bullets as long as mag would allow. When I first got it I seated some Nosler Ballistic Tips longer. This did give great accuracy but as you said rifle became a single shot. As time went on I tried other bullets and found the Barnes ttsx 180 to shoot around half inch seated as long as mag would allow. I guess what I am saying is do not be afraid to try other bullets and powders. The results can be very pleasant.

Seat as long as mag allows. Make sure you have good neck tension as well. Just got done with a 270wby for a customer. That's how I got the numbers done over the chronograph. Check out Nosler for the notes on the Weatherby rounds. They have some good tips. That's how I found out about the neck tension.

Vlds are finicky about seating depth. I've ran them in my 257, there will be a happy spot they like. I have a sako av in 300 wby, running 212 eldx as long as the mag allows, .5moa accuracy. But even the poor groups shot 1.5 Moa during load development. Im really happy with that big 212's performance in my gun. Like mentioned above, try your vlds at max mag length if still not happy try some Berger hybrids, they aren't as fussy about seating length.

The one .300 Weatherby I loaded for had so much free bore I never could touch the lands. I have one laying around here someplace=seated a 250 grains Barnes Original RN, as far out as I could something like 4.5"s.

The Weatherby cartridges are designed for the free bore and perform best if loaded to mag length minus .010 to ,020. the accuracy trick it to do minimum sizing. (Only size enough to chamber with little or no head space.

J E CUSTOM

I loaded 225 ELDs to something like 4.5" like HarperC did. I was getting 2990 FPS with them Hex coated and very round primers. I agree with JE about sizing.
Also would add good strait ammo helps a lot with long freebore. I annealed often and got run out to minimum. After realizing that, I was able to find accuracy right at SAMMI length.

Advice i received about loading for wby freebore was go as long as your mag will allow and use a bullet that likes jump. I shoot a 250 SMK in my .340 with good accuracy.

If none of that works look at the factory crimp die from lee. That's the route I'm gone on the 270wby per Nosler recommendation.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts