300 weatherby for large game like elk and bear???

K98K
I've got to agree with most here and that is the 300 Weath mag is a lot of gun for your first one. Maybe something in the 270 Win or 280 Rem would be better. If you do decide to go the 300 road and have a brake installed make sure to protect your ears or it will not be long before you have ear problems and flinching habits.

I do have a mosin but a 300 wby mag is a large round but I need to get it instead because like ive said about my mom, she isnt a gun person and isnt a hunter so she think 1 gun fits all for most game

K98- You mentioned a few times that you shoot a Mosin, shooting one and knowing how to shoot are two very different things. I grew up shooting many different firearms, but to be honest, until I got older (mid-20's) I did not know how to shoot. I'm talking about shooting thousands of rounds, .22, .223, .308, 7.62x39, etc. I was just wasting ammo. Until I met an older fella at our range and he gave me some pointers. Now I can say I know how to shoot. Get yourself a .260, 6.5creed, 7mm-08, .308, etc. Get someone to teach you how to shoot properly, and shoot, ALOT. As for your mom being a problem getting in your way of getting another rifle, shouldn't be a problem. By the time you're ready for that Magnum, you will probably have a job and be able to make your own decisions. Also, do yourself a favor, don't waste money on a cheap scope. Happy shooting and hunting. Just my .02¢

I do have a mosin but a 300 wby mag is a large round but I need to get it instead because like ive said about my mom, she isnt a gun person and isnt a hunter so she think 1 gun fits all for most game
Buy the big ones when you're on your own. You have a lot of life ahead to add to your collection.

There's nothing you can't hunt with a 30-06. My friend's Dad has hunted around the world, most hunts done many years ago. He used a 30-06 with Remington Core-Lokt ammo because that's what was available at the time. Everything from moose to elk to brown bear and more. In 2018 the factory ammo available is far better than what he used, so the need for a larger cartridge is even smaller.

I've got many Weatherby rifles and calibers, and I'd rather shoot one of my 270 Win rifles any day than a 300 Weatherby.

Well--definitely not going to deny that the good ol '06 isn't effective. But I don't know how many hunts your friends pops took where the ranges got long, or his time got short. One things big magnums do is make long shots "some what" easier to make. I also have a friend, that shot a grand slam of sheep, even has a world slam of sheep, and Capra. Taken the big five, and a lot of species of African game. he has hunted Artic to the savanna' s and the one rifle he used more than any...custom 7mm rem mag, he told me one time--it made long shots easy....he did step up over the ol 7mag...he built a 300 weatherby...his experience speaks for itself.

I don't want to step on any feet here. But I guess everybody has a different tolerance for recoil and to me a 300wby with a muzzle brake is not bad. It is a push instead of a sharp jab like a 270 is. But a 300 wby with lighter bullets is not bad to shoot and will handle everything from Pigs, Antelope thru Deer and Elk if you don't go too light on the bullets. Then it will do Deer, Elk thru the biggest bears with heavier bullets.
The best option for all of this is hand loading and the realization that there is more recoil with this caliber then with others. But if a person wants - this caliber can do it all.
As others have said - you can always get a smaller caliber for now and buy a bigger caliber later.
As mentioned a 7mag still has plenty of power for a all in 1 rifle or a 280 REM would be a good choice also.
You don't have to spend $2,000 on a Mark V, check out a WBY Vanguard or Remington or Winchester in 300Wby for less than half the price.

Since you like the 300 weatherby and seem to feel it's the right fit for you i say go for it. Let us know how it shoots too. Once it you get it all set the next thing on your list can be saving for a hunt out west for elk so you can really stretch it's legs. I remember dreaming of elk hunting at your age. I got lucky and got a job right after college in colorado. Never thought that would happen and that elk hunting would be a couple times in a lifetime sort of thing for me. Now it's a every year deal.

Enjoy the new rifle. Let us know what you end up getting.

I agree! The .300 WBTY is an excellent cartridge, I am just not a big fan of anything proprietary. The .300 WM remains my go to chambering from antelope to elk size game up to 1K yards. I shot my last bull elk at 931 yards propelling 190 Berger VLD at 3043 FPS. Load it 215 Berger and you're golden, factory ammo loaded with 215 are also available from ABM and HSM. All 3 of my .300 WMs have muzzle brakes and the felt recoil is similar to .243s.

Below are for quick visual comparison only.

5eHCeRX.jpg

L-R: .300 WM with 190 Berger VLD, factory .300 WBTY with 180 SP, .30 LARA with 220 ELD-X

svTvpCJ.jpg

.300 Ackley (.300 WBTY AI) vs .30 LARA

To the OP, you might want to seriously consider the .300 WM and 215 Berger combination.This thread should keep you busy for a while >>> https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/comparing-the-berger-210-vld-to-the-215-hybrid.88657/

Good luck!

I've set kids up with braked .338's, and 300 grain bullets. It worked! Difference being a committed mentor willing to provide time and resources. Something I haven't heard here yet. I haven't heard a scope mentioned. For the price of a Weatherby Mark 5 his mom could have him set up in a scoped 6.5 of some kind. As well as keep ammo supplied. Pride of ownership, dream rifle, hunt out west, all positives. Recoil can be managed, but trading opportunities to shoot or hunt, for a wall hanger and no supplies, is a poor start. Quite frankly until he finds a responsible adult mentor, he's floundering with whatever he gets. We had a youngster show up in camp with a .303 British hand me down, he's taken it farther than any of the others to date. Work on opportunity first. Get out mowing lawns, cleaning up yards, walking dogs, until you can do it on your own, or until someone is found to fill in the blanks.

The 300 Wby will be plenty of gun as long as you can shoot it well. As mentioned previously you could certainly go down in caliber and still have an excellent gun for elk and (black) bear.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.