300 weatherby for large game like elk and bear???

Hopefully he didn't drive an objective bell thru his eye socket...;)
Only advice I could give is pay VERY close attention to eye relief when you buy a scope, you'd be surprised how much your forehead can bleed!
Man if he drove an objective bell through his eye he might have some other issue being on the wrong side and all :).

Now proper eye piece /
Ocular space yes
I agree!!

Ok thats good cause 300 weatherby magnum ammo is cheaper and when I get it if I do I will be 15 so I dont want an overly large rifle. I will probably be hunting our wimpy florida black bear for my first bear hunts
Better have a muzzle brake installed and buy a case of Wheaties if your on the small side. Good luck.

In all seriousness....a good quality 30-06 and a handloading set up "right now", lots of shooting and trying different loads, will be (a) more fun than you can imagine right now and (b) gain you valuable experience of your own. You may find that you can do everything you ever wanted to with that '06 and 'the right load". Good luck and have a ball dude! :)

Yes I have seen and heard eye Relief alot. I hope to buy a used one for cheaper with a scope but I will check scope reviews and info first as I dont want to have a bloody forehead and look like I gpt my arse kicked in a fight even though i never had one.

Have you started to save for your 300 bee , how's your eyesite, wear glass's , any new ranges close to where you live , how's the used rifle market down there ,what big town you close to ,did you check into your relations on dads & mothers side to see if they shoot or reload , thks jjmp

My nephew went to Canada last year on guided brown bear hunt and he took a custom 338 RUM and he has pretty nice 300mag that he used here deer/and elk tags.

He never mention his conversation with the guide over what type rifle to take etc but I think he had that rifle build to hunt up there.

I'm sure a 300Wby work but some may use that as excuse to get another rifle. I like long barrels in mag calibers so 24" won't work for me.

Back in the 80's I was reloading so much it felt like a full time job and I stepped away from it for couple years on big game rifles and got a 300Wby and 8 boxes factory ammo with plain old 180gr bullets. Still have most of the brass in factory boxes and I tend to hunt more open terrain on deer/elk tag

My eyesite is good and we have a good used rifle market as we live in florida so lots of older people selling guns. We have lots of military surplus here from ww2 at gun shows. Not many people reload in my family as they have found the time and the one who did passed away before I had even seen a gun or knew what it was

Ok good , got that job lined up ,you being a lefty is gonna make it harder to find what you want , but their out there, just keep your eyes & ears open . Fine any ranges, that's when you talk and greet everyone you meet , you know bs and have a better time , I always make it a point to ask at the range hi what ya shooting today , then I tell them what I brought to shoot . Are you saving for your rifle? Thks we all are here for you and have questions , for you too ok?! Thks

I'm going to chime in. The 300 Weatherby has been my primary hunting caliber for years. It will more than meet all of your hunting needs on this continent. I've read many posts here, and I agree, that is quite a large caliber to chose for your first rifle and at such a young age. Make no mistake about it that it will let you know whose in charge. By that I mean that the recoil is substantial , barring a good brake. I've also read posts that factory ammo is quite expensive and they're right, it is. The advantage is that Weatheby factory ammo is loaded using Norma brass so that if you decide to reload you'll be using quality brass. Should you decide not to reload , or delay reloading, it can cost upwards of 85.00 a box if using the partition or accu bond bullets which Weatherby loads in their factory ammunition. In any event, you can do much worse than the 300 WBY. It's a great round. Good luck.

I was considering getting a 300 weatherby mag for elk deer bear etc. Is this good or do I need a 340 weatherby mag for bear and larger game? It' just sooooo much money for 340 weatherby mag ammo

If you cant kill an elk or grizz with a 300 weatherby then its time to stop hunting..... Here in B.C. more hunters kill elk grizzlys and moose with 7mm magnums , 270s, 30-06s and 300 magnums then they do with 338s so yes a 300 weatherby is enough and a 338 is overkill, But if you feel the need to shoot a heavier bullet then why not. Bullet placement is most important. plenty of people also shoot elk and bears with cartridges like the 308, 7-08 , 260 and 6.5 creedmore.

Late to the game but perhaps irrelevant. IMHO you are over-gunning yourself. I'd start with a 270 or 30-06. Such large, heavy recoiling rifles are not only unpleasant but better suited for well experienced shooters not so likely to develop bad habits because of them. I've been shooting 30 years and I limit myself to the 300WM without a brake. I don't shoot nearly as much 300WM as I do any other smaller caliber. For elk I use 300WM and 338 Edge, but that's 600 yards plus, if I were shooting <500 yards known I'd have a smaller rifle.

I use/like the 300 wby. pick the correct ammo for the animal. sight in as to outfitters request. I have two of mine zero at 300 yrds, for elk.
save the brass people buy it like 1.00 ea. that saves on ammo. I buy direct from weatherby so its not on a self in a store. make sure you bring enough ammohunting trip because most stores will not have any 300 wby, nor the correct bullet/ tip that you sighted gun in.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts