300 Weatherby know how...

The other was a 150 ablr in a standard 280 with a max charge of 7828. Call it 3000fps. I was just meet hunting. A spike whitetail around 200 yards. aimed tight above the heart. It really whacked him but did not go through. Whaaaat? Last time I used them too.
Shot a 8 point white tail at 30 yards dropped in tracks but did not go through. Lost two last year with them but got 4 with them but lung shots

So far, I have tried to shoot accubond bullets in a variety of rifles. Unlike others I have not got any go shoot even ok. I'm very glad others do well with those bullets.
BUT! I have had very good luck with partitions both on paper and large big game. I've been using partitions since the 60's. So far after 50+years no failures with partitions - always excellent performance!

The other was a 150 ablr in a standard 280 with a max charge of 7828. Call it 3000fps. I was just meet hunting. A spike whitetail around 200 yards. aimed tight above the heart. It really whacked him but did not go through. Whaaaat? Last time I used them too.
Yep I have had problems with them too

I have a 6.5-284 norma from c/a in ridgeline they told me to shoot nosler accubonds out of it. I lost first two deer I shot at maybe poor placement so this year killed 4 with it 3 where lung shots the other 30 yards dropped in tracks but didn't go through seems like it should have to me i don't think i am going too keep using them after I use them up

Here's my 2cents worth on Accubonds.....they're a very good, accurate bullet but you have to use your common sense. My experience with them suggests to keep your muzzle velocity below 3000 and impact velocity below 2500 and avoid big bones if possible.

I shot a good sized whitetail quartering toward me in the shoulder with a 130AB out of a 270Win. He stumbled 3-4 steps and lights out. Found only fragments that went about half way through...but, hey, it worked.

Another time, I shot a large Aoudad at 325 lazered yardswith a 338 Lapua using factory Nosler ammo with the 225AB. First shot, he acted like he was gut shot and humped up. Second shot, he barely flinched them slowly walked about 10-15 yards and layed done under a pinion tree. He rolled back and forth like he had a bee sting for a few minutes and finally stopped moving. I found both bullets, perfectly mushroomed, about half way through his chest. Both had hit a few inches behind the shoulder and within a few inches of the other.

Many other times, I've taken whitetail to elk and African plains game behind the shoulder with complete penetration and no problems. You just have to use your head and choose shots wisely. They aren't Partitions, A Frames, or Monos (that have their own set of problems).
Yep shot placement but some times you only have seconds to shoot. Hey some times texas heart shoots is all you have!

Here's my 2cents worth on Accubonds.....they're a very good, accurate bullet but you have to use your common sense. My experience with them suggests to keep your muzzle velocity below 3000 and impact velocity below 2500 and avoid big bones if possible.

I shot a good sized whitetail quartering toward me in the shoulder with a 130AB out of a 270Win. He stumbled 3-4 steps and lights out. Found only fragments that went about half way through...but, hey, it worked.

Another time, I shot a large Aoudad at 325 lazered yardswith a 338 Lapua using factory Nosler ammo with the 225AB. First shot, he acted like he was gut shot and humped up. Second shot, he barely flinched them slowly walked about 10-15 yards and layed done under a pinion tree. He rolled back and forth like he had a bee sting for a few minutes and finally stopped moving. I found both bullets, perfectly mushroomed, about half way through his chest. Both had hit a few inches behind the shoulder and within a few inches of the other.

Many other times, I've taken whitetail to elk and African plains game behind the shoulder with complete penetration and no problems. You just have to use your head and choose shots wisely. They aren't Partitions, A Frames, or Monos (that have their own set of problems).
hey six pack seems like you hunt big game what's your in put on 300 prc ?

Wish I could comment but no input here on that one. It's not one I've ever done anything with or even been around much.
Ooo ok looking too get a long range rifle with trump but still shoot out my tree stand over cut overs I have 0 to 1000 yard shots on some of them but I want to hit them hard!

A man needs to be careful what he writes on here. If you say they are crap 20 will say they are the best ever and look down their nose while saying it.

Notice that I didn't say they were crap, just that I have also seen them fail at high velocities on elk & that I have heard form others with similar experiences. They might be perfect for a .308 or .30-06 although I have no way of verifying that as I don't have either.

I do hand load. Just had not wished to get into another full blown project but I have been pulled down that road before. I have seen the ammo very similar priced it is availability here that is poor. Not against factory if I can get a flavor to work then just get a bunch in same lot number. I have to say the win mag is way more available here and is certainly $10 less per box. I don't see the win mag being the same animal as the prc, nosler or rum. Not considering the prc. Two choices of factory ammo do not entice me.

IF you tell me 300 or 300wsm then I feel I have that already covered with my .280AI. Not exact but dam close.

FEENIX- 300 wm, 300 wsm and '06 seem most prevalent. Next level is the .338 win mag. Maybe that is nearer the 300 weatherby? I feel oddly out of intelligence in the magnum arena. (no kids here anymore to make me feel dumb everyday)

I don't plan on shooting this 1,000 times. My idea was to use my .280 then go up and shoot field positions and angles when I get the rifle dialed in. Not afraid of recoil. We used to hunt with 12ga slugs and turkey loads. I am going to put the time in to be ready for the moment. If I still feel more surgical with my .280AI then that will be my plan.
I began shooting a .300Weatherby, 26" barrel, Leupold 3x9 scope back in 1972. Handloaded 180 gr Nosler Partition for everything, 4831 powder. Have killed two moose, three caribou, five elk, 2 mule deer, a couple coyotes and half-a-dozen jackrabbits. All one-shot kills, all within 200 yards. No complaints.

OP , I'm glad you have a friend that has a 300 Bee, had one in a 24 inch blued Vanguard with blk synthic stock added a brake and Timney trigger ,never bought ammo ,reloaded every round , pm me if you wish . Guys can't you stay on POINT with the op"s question? Cheers !

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts