300 Weatherby know how...

I can't help but wonder how guys shoot something in the shoulder at basically point blank range with a bullet (at magnum velocity) that is designed for long range shooting (where velocity has fallen way down) and then are surprised and ****ed off that the bullet "failed" because it blew up. LOL

Gary

I have an 300 weatherby mag with a 26 inch barrel and have had ot for a good bit. I shoot 210gr Nos Accbound LR , H1000, 215M, and Nosler brass. Avg 3050 fps, 8 SD and 11 ES and in all my temperatures it sont ho transsonic under 1500m. All that said I love to shoot this rifle and it really puts the hurt on anything I hunt. If you want to get one a light 300 weatherby will be easy shooting with a break and the recoil is not bad at around 10 to 12 lbs. Oh its not hard to hand load for either.
What is your load of H 1000?

The 300 Weatherby is one of the finest cartridges ever designed. I've been using one for more than 40 yrs. and have never lost an animal with it. My favorite load is 85gr. IMR 7828ssc, Fed. 215GM, Norma brass and Nosler 180gr. Partition or Accubond @ 3260fps. They both work extremely well for me. You have to play with the seating depths to get your tightest groups. Mine likes them set a little deep, very close to factory loaded Ammo. Mine is a German MkV.

I shot one for years and it saw a lot of country. I shot 200gr partitions in mine. It killed everything I pointed it at. For some reason I decided I needed longer range. Had a 30-378 for awhile, and just couldn't stand the blast. I'm on my second RUM now. I will say if a 300 Weatherby won't kill it, you need not a little, but a lot more gun.

I can't help but wonder how guys shoot something in the shoulder at basically point blank range with a bullet (at magnum velocity) that is designed for long range shooting (where velocity has fallen way down) and then are surprised and *Rule 4 Violation*ed off that the bullet "failed" because it blew up. LOL

Gary
Why I use partitions. I never have had the telepathic powers to tell an animal how far away it should show up. ;)

I have a buddy that used to outfit on the front and in the Bob Marshall. He kept good records and the average shot was 141 yards. He is retired now but another still outfits in the bob marshall. He gets very disgusted. Guys show up with all the bells and whistles. Turret scopes. Boy that will fit in a scabbard just dandy. Sad part is most cannot hit the inside of a barn. With any reasonable scope and say a 300 weatherby you can hit proficiently at 600. And 90% have no business shooting that far. 300 weatherby with 200gr Nosler partitions is a deadly customer.

I have a buddy that used to outfit on the front and in the Bob Marshall. He kept good records and the average shot was 141 yards. He is retired now but another still outfits in the bob marshall. He gets very disgusted. Guys show up with all the bells and whistles. Turret scopes. Boy that will fit in a scabbard just dandy. Sad part is most cannot hit the inside of a barn. With any reasonable scope and say a 300 weatherby you can hit proficiently at 600. And 90% have no business shooting that far. 300 weatherby with 200gr Nosler partitions is a deadly customer.
For a real hunter I mean.

I like the 300 WBY and have built a few, 215 Berger or 230 Berger is what I settled on for them for elk after years of shooting Accubonds and Barnes it made a whole new rifle out of it. Recoil can be formidable but mitigated in a few ways. Its a chambering that there is a lot of support for in most any area out west, its a good round for elk as long as you shoot it well and chose the right bullets for your range and shot placement.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts