300 wby update

Bearman375

Hello all, I posted a ways back about my Montana rifle that I had put a new Bartlien barrel on. I tried everything I could loads, primers, powder, bullet weight. I was in my reloading room when I chambered a bunch of loads with 165 hornady interlocks the flat base ones. They were seated to the cannelure and when I chamberEd them it pushed the bullet many many thousands deeper. I quickly called my gunsmith and said there was no freebore in my gun. He rethroated it to wby specs and added .0010ths more. I'm happy to say that was the problem. It's still a bit finicky though, loves 165 hornady and 84 gr R-19 powder....3 shots into 3/4" I know it will do better, I'll try more this winter....I'm on the right track now...it just needed some freebore. Btw, any good accuracy loads? I got about every powder, h-4831, r-22, 19, 25, IMR 7828, aa-3100, IMR 4350. Interested in mostly 165 grain, thanks guys!

I was using H1000, RETUMBO or RE25 in mine. I sold mine about 8 years ago now, just wasn't as accurate as my 300WM's are.

Cheers.

Hello all, I posted a ways back about my Montana rifle that I had put a new Bartlien barrel on. I tried everything I could loads, primers, powder, bullet weight. I was in my reloading room when I chambered a bunch of loads with 165 hornady interlocks the flat base ones. They were seated to the cannelure and when I chamberEd them it pushed the bullet many many thousands deeper. I quickly called my gunsmith and said there was no freebore in my gun. He rethroated it to wby specs and added .0010ths more. I'm happy to say that was the problem. It's still a bit finicky though, loves 165 hornady and 84 gr R-19 powder....3 shots into 3/4" I know it will do better, I'll try more this winter....I'm on the right track now...it just needed some freebore. Btw, any good accuracy loads? I got about every powder, h-4831, r-22, 19, 25, IMR 7828, aa-3100, IMR 4350. Interested in mostly 165 grain, thanks guys!
How much freebore do you have? Have you check what the recommended WBY should be

It's .0010 over wby specs
To me, something does not make sense. I can not have a true Weatherby Freebore, and push the bullet deeper, especially 165 grains. I have 5 300 WBY mag. One is a model 70, 4 are WBY, a German, a Japanese and 2 us. From bolt face to lands they are between 3.372 (the newest US) and 3.389 (Win Model 70). So if you load to mag length, the bullet tip will not reach the lands. Wht is your distance from boltface to lands?

It is figured out, I had no freebore previous, when I seated a 165 to the cannelure it would shove the bullet way deeper. My gunsmith gave it factory freebore and added .0010 for good measure. It needed some jump. It's still a bit fussy with loads, so far 84 gr R-19 under a 165 hornady interlock shoots 3/4" I'll play with it more after hunting season. I want to shoot 165 accubonds

It is figured out, I had no freebore previous, when I seated a 165 to the cannelure it would shove the bullet way deeper. My gunsmith gave it factory freebore and added .0010 for good measure. It needed some jump. It's still a bit fussy with loads, so far 84 gr R-19 under a 165 hornady interlock shoots 3/4" I'll play with it more after hunting season. I want to shoot 165 accubonds
Weatherby's by design they have a lot of jump. If you are only getting 0.010 with a 165, somethings is not right. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Sir, I believe you are not following me, factory wby freebore with an added .0010 for good measure, I can seat a 165 hornady to the cannelure and I've got plenty of jump...as far as the gunsmith told me it's close to 3/8" more....I don't remember in the thousands he told me bout I do remember the 3/8"

Sir, I believe you are not following me, factory wby freebore with an added .0010 for good measure, I can seat a 165 hornady to the cannelure and I've got plenty of jump...as far as the gunsmith told me it's close to 3/8" more....I don't remember in the thousands he told me bout I do remember the 3/8"
You are correct. I don't think I am following you. Your original statement said " when I seated a 165 to the cannelure it would shove the bullet way deeper" This would have never happened with a true WBY freebore. How much jump do you have now? With 180 TSX, get 0.340" jump or more. Maybe I am measuring something wrong.

To me, something does not make sense. I can not have a true Weatherby Freebore, and push the bullet deeper, especially 165 grains. I have 5 300 WBY mag. One is a model 70, 4 are WBY, a German, a Japanese and 2 us. From bolt face to lands they are between 3.372 (the newest US) and 3.389 (Win Model 70). So if you load to mag length, the bullet tip will not reach the lands. Wht is your distance from boltface to lands?

Hi problem was that originally there was no freebore. Once he discovered that, his smith reamed out to Weatherby specs plus an additional 0.0010". So, he originally had no freebore and his smith fixed that so that he now does.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.