300 Varminter Completed (Pictures)

Bountyhunter,

thanks for the support. I knew if I put the specs on the post it would cause a couple guys to go crazy, so I did it for fun, LOL. If you've noticed I took the specs off the post.

Richard did an excellent job, and I am looking forward to finally shooting her. She ended up weighing right around 24 to 25 pounds, so she will be real sturdy on the bench. I agree with you, she should be real accurate out to 600 yards. I am going to start out with the 110grn V-Max and see how that bullet does out to that yardage. Richard and others have reported excellent results out to 600 yards with the 110grn V-Max, so I am expecting the same.

W.

Last edited:
Wildcat,
I have not been keeping up. What was meant by stock carving on the website with your rifle? She looks great. Try not to burn her up. I would sure like to see a video clip of the first prarie dog meeting boolit, however fast ya get 'em goin'.

Amen Phorwath!!!!!!!!!

Wildcat so you posted this because you knew it would **** people off and you just wanted to stir the pot. well thanks for at least finally admitting that you are simply a troll who gets his rocks off stirring up crap like this. I have yet to have seen any proof you have ever even fired a rifle. good luck with your gun if it is real.

Wildcat so you posted this because you knew it would **** people off and you just wanted to stir the pot.

Only problem is, you along with a couple others keep biting! Why does it **** you off anyway?

Who the hell put you and others in charge of determine who can post and who can **** you off over their post?

Kind of makes Wildcat look like the smart one of the bunch!

You and others that all over Wildcat have not said squat about guns posted that the makers says operating pressure is 68,000 based on wild guesses on cartridges that have no SAAMI specs but are listed in some arenas as low as 62000.

Hold your sanctimonious piety to yourself. If you do not like the post, then do not post back and **** and moan about it all the time.

If you were smart enough to do that, then Wildcat would not have anyone to play mind games with.

You only have yourself to blame for being dumb enough to bite all the time and "being ****ed off".

BH

Grit, my buddy has a real nice video set up and we plain to make a video, shooting ground squirrels. We made one about two year ago and it turned out okay. However, his new set up is awesome and will provide a much better picture. I will try to post it is soon as we get it up.

I wont burn her up. I don't plan to run her too hot. I will probably run the 110grn V-Max at around 3900fps that should allow me to get a few more firings out of the brass, but I am sure I will try 4100fps and see how it performes. However, I am thinking 3900fps will be just fine.

Regarding carving, I am not sure how Richard makes his stocks. All I know is, there real nice. Greg West owns Richard's stock buisness now.

W.

You and others that all over Wildcat have not said squat about guns posted that the makers says operating pressure is 68,000 based on wild guesses on cartridges that have no SAAMI specs but are listed in some arenas as low as 62000.

Isnt that most of the problem? That there are CIP specs for the 300WSM and that the 300 varmiter's reccomended load exceeds them substantially. Thus creating a situation where one of the "varmiter" rounds can be chamber in a factory rifle possibly leading to catastrophic failure.
Hodgdon lists loads for both the 110 and 125 gr bullets. Thier max is listed at a velocity of 3646 with the 110 at a pressure of 63K psi. Where is the extra 450 fps per second coming from? (Isnt the 110 supposed to get 4150 and the 125 4000 fps?) Increased pressure would be my guess.

so what is your part in the BH??? What are you the all saving all knowing angel sent down to protect wildcat from all of us Kirbyite's???

No you are just another troll like wildcat and for some sad reason this is the only way you are able to get your rocks off!!! only difference is you have some grudge against Kirby and you are using this as a chance to spout your ignorant rhetoric.

by the way this isnt mind games, this is immature BS better suited for 13yr old's

Last edited:
so what is your part in the BH??? What are you the all saving all knowing angel sent down to protect wildcat from all of us Kirbyite's???

No you are just another troll like wildcat and for some sad reason this is the only way you are able to get your rocks off!!! only difference is you have some grudge against Kirby and you are using this as a chance to spout your ignorant rhetoric.

by the way this isnt mind games, this is immature BS better suited for 13yr old's

Agreed. But what I can't understand is why would a smart guy like BH want to get behind someone who even a first year psychology intern could see isn't playing with a full deck just to spite a bunch of people who like Kirby and are trying to warn him of impending danger? Something else is going on here. THere's got to be some bad, behind the scenes mojo going on between somebody.

I have no dog in this race and don't really care what happens but I'm just trying to figure out why this is such a big deal? I'm not a Kirbyite or BH henchman but have respect for both guys. And I don't care if someone runs hot loads in their gun. I ain't paying for their hospital bills. I don't care who built their gun. There are lots of top quality 'smiths out there. I don't care about how someone else's gun shoots (unless they are shooting in a match with me). I don't care how far someone wants to shoot or how often they want to shoot. So, what is the big deal? As I said before, this is a lot of huff and puff over a gun that will never be. Like Dave Wilson said, Wildcat's guns are better known as "folklore".

Last edited:
goodgrouper,

Is is a cause for contemplation, but I don't spend much time trying to figure it out. I read these wildcat threads for entertainment when I run out of other interesting threads, and I admit there was some useful information posted 6 months ago in some of the earlier historical threads. But after it loses entertainment value, I move on. You've got to give them credit; if it wasn't for wildcat and BH, the 300 Varminter threads wouldn't be near as entertaining. :rolleyes:

Isnt that most of the problem? That there are CIP specs for the 300WSM and that the 300 varmiter's reccomended load exceeds them substantially. Thus creating a situation where one of the "varmiter" rounds can be chamber in a factory rifle possibly leading to catastrophic failure.
Hodgdon lists loads for both the 110 and 125 gr bullets. Thier max is listed at a velocity of 3646 with the 110 at a pressure of 63K psi. Where is the extra 450 fps per second coming from? (Isnt the 110 supposed to get 4150 and the 125 4000 fps?) Increased pressure would be my guess.

This is the same BH that spouted long and hard how building a 338 Lapua on a Rem-700 action was unsafe at SAAMI presure spec's, yet now backs the sanity of 70,000 plus psi loads. No dought the "legend in his own mind" Bounty Hunter speaks from both sides of his mouth..

Lerch, thanks for calling me a troll. I bet if you were in front of me you would think twice about calling me that.

W.

Last edited:
Ah the old personal insult when all else fails. 20 posts on an weapon you have never touched, if that ain't trolling then what is.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.