"300 WSM Varminter" info

Festus,

You are correct, Richard has pretty much dropped the J-4 jackets from his bullets. That has been a reason for some delays in bullet shipments. The inconsistancies were just more then Richard would allow for his quality control.

He told me his contract with Sierra looked very promising but had yet to get any final time frame as to when jackets may start heading north.

The Sierra jackets are much heavier then the J-4, that would certainly help my projects!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Demarpaint, I have said on many occations, if the wind gets bad, I will switch to the higher BC set up. However, I shoot in an area were the wind never gets bad, so the 125grn BT at 4000+fps will perform very well.

I wanted a set up that would be fast, accurate, and deadly. The 300 Varminter is perfect for my needs and conditions in my area. I am having a 30/338 Lapua improved built for shots past 1000 yards.

Wildcat
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was echoing what Kirby had said. The only time I ever shoot where wind will never be an issue is at a private indoor range :), other than that even here on Long Island wind can be a real PIA at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
Demarpaint, I have said on many occations, if the wind gets bad, I will switch to the higher BC set up.

Wildcat

How can you with a 15 twist barrel? I never like the idea of building a gun for one bullet maybe 2.

1doug
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1doug and I share the same opinions.

Now that 30/338 Lapua Improved set up with the proper twist is one awsome rig!

Frank D

Demarpaint, I have said on many occations, if the wind gets bad, I will switch to the higher BC set up. However, I shoot in an area were the wind never gets bad, so the 125grn BT at 4000+fps will perform very well.

I wanted a set up that would be fast, accurate, and deadly. The 300 Varminter is perfect for my needs and conditions in my area. I am having a 30/338 Lapua improved built for shots past 1000 yards.

Wildcat

I was echoing what Kirby had said. The only time I ever shoot where wind will never be an issue is at a private indoor range :), other than that here on Long Island wind can be a real PIA at times.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
Demarpaint, I have said on many occations, if the wind gets bad, I will switch to the higher BC set up.

Wildcat

How can you with a 15 twist barrel? I never like the idea of building a gun for one bullet maybe 2.

1doug
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

1doug and I share the same opinions.

Now that 30/338 Lapua Improved set up with the proper twist is one awesome rig!

Frank D

Demarpaint,

When I said I would switch to a higher BC set up, I ment I would go to the 30/338 Lapua Improved set up when the conditions get bad and I need to make a shot past a 1000 yards.

The 300 Varminter is a specialized high velocity varmint rig. This set up will mainly be used out to around 850 yards with the bulk of the varminting being done from 400 to 600 yards.

Richard sent me his latest video of himself and his partner shooting their 300 Varminters at groundhogs. Even at a range of 600 yards, the groundhogs are lifted into the air and blown to pieces. That is pretty impressive when these groundhogs are weighing in at 12 to 15 pounds.

One of the of the fellows I spoke with, who owns a 300 Varminter, said the 125grn BT at 4000+fps is so destructive on Pdogs, he said it is absolutely like nothing he has ever seen when it come to the "Red Mist Factor". He said his favorite varmint rifle used to be his 6x284 with 75grn V-Max's at a velocity of 3800fps, however, he said his 300 Varminter is now his favorite go to varmint rifle.

Anyhow, I am loking forward to getting my 300 Varminter. I will post picks and results as soon as I can.

Wildcat

Kirby,

Thanks for the info. The shortend version sounds like it would be a hit, especially because it would have more case campacity than the 30-378 Weatherby. I look forward to hearing about it in the future.

Wildcat

Demarpaint,

When I said I would switch to a higher BC set up, I ment I would go to the 30/338 Lapua Improved set up when the conditions get bad and I need to make a shot past a 1000 yards.

The 300 Varminter is a specialized high velocity varmint rig. This set up will mainly be used out to around 850 yards with the bulk of the varminting being done from 400 to 600 yards.

Richard sent me his latest video of himself and his partner shooting their 300 Varminters at groundhogs. Even at a range of 600 yards, the groundhogs are lifted into the air and blown to pieces. That is pretty impressive when these groundhogs are weighing in at 12 to 15 pounds.

One of the of the fellows I spoke with, who owns a 300 Varminter, said the 125grn BT at 4000+fps is so destructive on Pdogs, he said it is absolutely like nothing he has ever seen when it come to the "Red Mist Factor". He said his favorite varmint rifle used to be his 6x284 with 75grn V-Max's at a velocity of 3800fps, however, he said his 300 Varminter is now his favorite go to varmint rifle.

Anyhow, I am loking forward to getting my 300 Varminter. I will post picks and results as soon as I can.

Wildcat

Best of luck with your project/projects......... I wonder how that 30/338 Improved would be shooting 175 SMK's? Talk about "red mist"............

Frank D

Thanks Frank, I will post all the info on the 300 Varminter as soon as I receive the rig.

I am going to use the 208grn A-Max out of the 30/338 Lapua Improved. I will be using a 1-12 twist 32" Krieger barrel for this set up. I should be able to push the 208grn A-Max at around 3300fps or faster. The A-Max bullets seem to expand much better than the Bergers, MatchKings and Scenars.

The 208grn A-Max will be a better varmint bullet for the red mist factor. I want to say the 208grn A-Max has a BC of .615, I might be wrong. Please correct me if I am wrong about the 208grn A-Max.

Wildcat

I never used a 208 gr A-Max, but I would think an 11 twist barrel would work better than a 12. Maybe one of the smiths will chime in. I have tested 190 210 and 220 SMK's in mine with an 11 twist w/o any problems. Wambo a buddy in Arizona reports the 240's worked in his with the 11 twist, it sure pushes them fast enough.

Frank D

Frank,

I will only be using 180grn to 208grn bullets in the 30-338 Lapua Improved, and I was informed a 1-12 twist would be best. I guess I will find out soon enough.

Wildcat

Fifty,

That sounds like good news for you. I had forgotten about the inconsitency issues, he did mention that as well. I hope things go well between him and Sierra.

Festus

Eddie,

Thanks for the info. I didn't intend to give credit where it wasn't due. I like Willie's version, never realizing 'twas written by Billy Jo. If you see him, let him know I regret the error. ;-)

I would say a 1-12 would be marginal with the 208 gr A-Max. Not saying it will not work, Just would say its 50-50.

I know it will work in a 1-11.25 because thats what my brother has on his Warbird nad is getting good accuracy with this bullet.

May or may not work, would be good to know.

Kirby Allen(50)

The 208grn A-Max will be a better varmint bullet for the red mist factor. I want to say the 208grn A-Max has a BC of .615, I might be wrong. Please correct me if I am wrong about the 208grn A-Max.

Wildcat[/QUOTE]

hornady list the 208grn amax with a bc of .248

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.