300 WSM with lighter bullets for varmints

I am not Wildcat.

I should be able to get 3600fps with no problem. I want it to be fast, but I want it to be very accurate so if I need to give up some velocity, I will. I just want a lighter bullet that will expand well and will help with recoil. I have nothing against VLD bullets at all, I just want to use the varmint bullets because they provide a much better show on impact. I love VLD bullets, and I use them alot especially past the 500 yard mark. I agree, they have a low BC, but I think at 500 yards I should be ok. I will not be loading them hot. If I can get them to 3600fps, with accuracy, that will be fine. Thanks for the info so far.

VK

VK,

Regarding my rifle, it's currently being built right now. I should receive it in about a month. It will have a Nesika Model K Action, Bartlien 30" 1-15 twist barrel, Jewel Trigger, Richards Model #8 stock, Vias Muzzle brake, Nesika 20moa Rail, Nightforce 30mm Rings and topped off with a Nightforce 8x32x56mm NXS. My load will consist of VV-N550 powder, Norma Brass, Federal 215M Primers and 110grn V-Max. The velocity will be fast.

W.

I just wanted to post the spec's one more time.. I missed one last night as I recited them in my sleep.....

The hypervelocity thing may be a cool goal, but at a BC of 0.29 for the 110 VMAX your biggest challenge may be the wind ...

If you have some exterior ballistic sw you should run the numbers... ;)

Last edited:
I made the post on Shilo about 6:50 in the morning. Varmint killer did not even register until about 10:00 that night. My interest has been in the Jekyll & Hyde symbiosis of Wildcat and P44 over the last five months.

Common on guys, be the bigger men and just ignore it. If wildcat or patriot or who ever want to talk to themselves then let them. Just ignore it and we might get lucky and it will finally go away. You guys are making yourselfs look like idiots and giving them what they want.

As for the bullet, if someone wants to deal with 25.7" of drift in a 10 mph wind or 51.5" in a 20 mph wind at 500 yards, that's up to them. I'm sure once they walk it into the wind with a few shots it will make a heck of an impact with the 110 Vmax.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.