300 ULTRA MAG- How does the 240 smk go.

Down Under Hunter

Hello all

Just interested to here some feedback from 300 rum users if they shoot the 240 grn smk ? What speeds to expect out of a 26 " barrel ? Any tricks to loading them ? Can you use H1000 ? Can anyone suggest loaded overall lengths ?

Thanks again all ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

i shot them for awhile in a 300 rum. they shot extremely well but i think you'd be better served with one of the uld or vld bullets. the 240 just does not have the bc it should. look at some of richard grave's bullets or the 210 berger or 208 amax.

Bill, Thanks for your thoughts. Can you tell me much about richards bullets ? I live in Australia and as far as I know they are still prototype ? IS this correct ? If not, what would be your suggestion for a 30 cal bullet ?
Thanks again

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The 210 Berger VLD and the Nosler 200 Accubond are comparable to 800 yards or so. The think the Accubond is a much better game bullet while the VLD has much less wind drift.

http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...p;page=3#156934

Some info here from Jon A and others.

I'm working a load right now with 240 SMK and US869. So far I have not found a load that produces/extracts more energy in the 300RUM 1-10 twist, 26" barrel than this. I'm a tad under 3000fps with Nosler brass and 103 to 103.5 grain powder load. This is a cold weather load--you'll have to reduce in warmer weather.

The 240 is a little snubby nosed so you may be able to get pretty close to the lands with factory mag. It still has as good or better BC (Jon A has done some good testing and found that it really seems to be at .640 rather than the .711 and .685 that Sierra says. http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...part=1&vc=1 ) than anything else that'll work in a 1-10 twist and packs a tremendous amount of energy when driven by US869 at or near max. I'll be over 4700ft.lbs of energy at the muzzle and I can't get that safely out of a 200 Accubond or 200 A-frame using US869 or Retumbo or RL-25.

I've also had low ES and great accuracy out of several diff. loads average at or below .5 at 100yrds. Seems like the hardest hitting most consistent accuracy combination in my rifle so far. Still have some more testing to do to settle on a load though.

Good luck.

Thanks all for your thoughts !! All good stuff. I think I'll run the 210 VLD or try Richards Wildcat AL tipped bullets. I recently saw a post somewhere that talked about the 30 cal AL bullets. I have been speaking to Richard and he has suggested his new 215 30 cal ?? Does anyone know any factual BC for this projectile ?? I just want to run the numbers on the computer and see what it may be capable of ..

Thanks again everyone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.