338 RUM- HOW FAST WILL 300 GRN SMK GO ??

Down Under Hunter

Just interested if anyone can tell me what to expect from an accurized 338 rum sendero. Want to use primarily 300 smk but don't know any factual velocities. Can anyone tell me any info ? If not what big heavy high bc bullets work with the 338 rum. Shooting between 500-1000 yards on big game ?

Thanks again !

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'll get all over this one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

One of the slower powders will work. I'm not familiar with your powder designations but H-1000, Retumbo, RL-22or25 etc. would be starting choices.

I've settled on a load of 101gr Hodgon US869 and the 300 SMK. ESs is 1 or 2 SD is ziltch. Velocity is (Please wait a minute I have to find my record book /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif) The darn thing was 'under' the reloading bench. Who the squat put it there?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. Sorry for the delay) 2732 FPS.

I would have predicted 2700 to 2750 fps so right there with Roys actual numbers.

The Edge will get you a full 100 fps over this in most situations with same length barrels.

The 338 RUM is a fine round, will work plenty well with the 300 gr SMK at long range. Remember at long range we want the bullet to do most of the work and the standard RUM has plenty of velocity to be extremely effective well past 1000 yards with this bullet.

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
Shooting between 500-1000 yards on big game ?

[/ QUOTE ]

There may be better bullets than the MK for big game coming soon. I just talked to Eric S. at Berger and he said the 250 grain and 300 vlds are going to be out in less than 6 months. They will offer higher bc's with softer jackets so they won't just zip on through. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I wonder what's driving the bullet makers to begin to rethink the 338 cal bullets. Who's pushing the envelope /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I think that the Edge has enough of an 'edge' over the RUM to make it the choice.

I also think that a 300 gr bullet is about max for the RUM but an Edge would do well w/a 325 or so. Then a 350 or so for the 408 based 338s. Sorry for dreaming out loud. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Your not dreaming, the 325 and 350 gr bullets are already here. I have some in the shop as we speak. Wildcat ULD RBBTs. They shoot very well in all my big 338s. Even the 338 Kahn like the big 350 gr ULD RBBT in a 1-10 twist barrel.

The 338 AM also loves them but the new aluminum tipped bullets will basically make them obsolete. Imagine a 311 gr Al tipped bullet that is longer then a 350 gr ULD RBBT!!!

I even have some 375 gr 338 bullets in the shop. THe 311 gr Tipped bullet is also longer then these!!!

Just need to get a barrel to keep them on point. They 311 gr tipped bullets are 2.250" in length!!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Just curious fellows, why an Edge when you can just do a Lapua, is it because more actions will fit the edge.

isn't it true that a Lapua and a RUM just about shoot together? The Edge gives 100-150 more FPS than the RUM......

I'd think the Edge is just a bit sexier than the Lapua. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

From what I have measured in case capacity, the Lapua and the 338 Edge are basically identical. Some lots of brass will give the Lapua a 1 to 2 grains capacity advantage, other lots will give the 338 Edge the same slight capacity advantage.

Simply put, when loaded to same pressures in same barrel length with same bullet, they are ballistic twins. Which is the fastest will depend more on barrel variations then anything to do with the case itself.

The Lapua has an advantage in a stronger case that will have a longer case life but they are alot spendier then the 300 RUM cases as well.

The 338 Edge has the advantage that it can easily be loaded into any receiver that is a true magnum length receiver without much modification. That is not the case with the Lapua.

Ballistically take your pick, they are the same. Loading wise, again, take your pick, they are both easy to load for and neither require any fireforming.

The 338 Edge just allows you to use a larger variaty of receivers. The Edge is however a long round and best suited to the Rem 700 receivers with a Wyatt extended mag box. The Lapua on the other hand is fat and works best with center feed mag box designs such as the HS DM system.

They both have pluses and minuses, in the end they both throw the same bullets to roughly the same velocity.

The standard 338 RUM will run 75 to 100 fps less then either of them with same pressures, bullet and barrel.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.