With every thing being equal
which one throws a 240 SMK faster
The 300 Tommy or 30-378
From my research it seems the 30-378
has the advantage
But is not used as much because of the cost
of the larger action

Does this sound right, or is the 300 tommy
used more because it is a better designed case??

Everything being equal as per barrel length, yes the 30/378 will win that one but, not by very much. There are a few grains more capacity in the 378 case.

The added cost of the bigger action and brass may be a consideration to you and the added velocity (not even 100 FPS) may not be worth it.

I have run the 240 gr at 3225 FPS in my 34" Tomahawk. It seems to like the 210 Berger at 3350 FPS also.

Later
DC
smile.gif

Larry--
I have a 30" Hart on mine and have reached 3210 fps with it in the winter with H870 shooting 240 SMK's. Good luck with your project....

Chris,

I've got a 30" Lilja on this 30-338 Lapua Imp, and I reached 2965 fps at about 65-70Kpsi with the 240 and Retumbo.

I had slight ejector marks showing up, so I don't think I would have went much farther. I'm guessing with H870 I would have been somewhat higher, maybe 100 fps? 3200 sounds about like my 210gr load.

How long does your brass last at that speed?
I didn't want to loose any brass this early on, so I didn't push 'em after I got about .0008" CHE, and extraction was still smooth...

Have any of you guys tried the Federal 300 RUM brass yet, just to see how it held up under the same loads?

If you didn't shoot them a whole lot, you might get a MV bonus if they take a bit more pressure than the Remington stuff will. Probably counter productive in the end tho...

Thanks for the info
I want to built a 300 tommy with a 28" Barrel
to be my long range hunting rifle

Do you thing I can get a little over 2900 FPS
with 240 SMK out of a 28" tube???

that is the speed were you can get the most accurate load, right????

I thinks it's time to talk to Ray Romain
and get things started

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.