300 SHERMAN vs "06

Yea, I've got high hopes for this one! Excited to see what I can do on the 06' sized case head!
And there I was pulling the trigger on a 30-06AI build before i discovered the 300 Sherman... Silly me!:D I was hoping the 30-06AI would meet my wants (similiar to 300WM performance with out a magnum sized case) but now I think I will be REALLY pleased with the results.

I will give it the run down as i do all my shooting on a farmers personal range with steel from 440 to 1 mile (setup on a turn row through a field).

Last edited:
Yea, I've got high hopes for this one! Excited to see what I can do on the 06' sized case head!
And there I was pulling the trigger on a 30-06AI build before i discovered the 300 Sherman... Silly me!:D I was hoping the 30-06AI would meet my wants (similiar to 300WM performance with out a magnum sized case) but now I think I will be REALLY pleased with the results.

I will give it the run down as i do all my shooting on a farmers personal range with steel from 440 to 1 mile (setup on a turn row through a field).

Sounds like a great facility!

Tagging in, I have a lonely action in the safe.

Sounds like a good candidate for the .280 or .300 Sherman...

I have 2 rifles in my safe that I'm not completely "married" to... I could rebarrel them to something else or keep them as-is, but neither has ever been shot. I wish one of them was a .473" long action, but alas, they're both magnums, and one of them was originally a RUM when it left the factory. So, neither is what I need for a Sherman build.

Howdy. I know this is a old thread. But I was wondering if you ever did any test with the 300 Sherman and 215 berger or the 225 Hornadys? If so would you be willing to post what you found out? I like my 06. But am always looking to improve on it if I can. I just do not want a Ackly.

Thanks for your help and time.

I never finished the build. I had Greg at SPR (bugholes.com) build me his bug nut barrel system back in the Spring. I got whidden custom loading dies and hydro form dies from Rich. I'm still waiting on my go gauge from Rich so i can put the barrel on my action. The very first time i used the hydro form die the oring cut so i haven't been able to form a single piece of brass(whidden hasn't returned any of my emails). Guess after waiting this long i've just put it on the back burner. I wish i would have just got Greg to shoulder the barrel. I went with his bug nut because it was only a 6 week lead time. As appealing as wildcatting may seem, I will buy factory chamberings from now on. I will finished it and i know that it will be everything that i wanted but at the end of the day so would a 300 win mag and i could of had it in my hands back in March and without the hassle of having to form brass.

Thanks for the replay. I would love to know what you can get for speed and consistency out of the 300 sherman. I guess i will just have to wait around and watch. When it gets done i would like to know how it does.

Thanks again.

David

It shouldnt be much longer. It was literally just something i wanted to do for fun so thats why i havent really pushed it along faster. I have all the guns i need. I just think the sherman lines are cool and very effecient. I guess with me not needing it as a primary target or hunting gun that there wasnt really any pressure to get it finished. Rich did offer to loan me his go gauge months back but i was just going to wait for mine to come in. Depending on the timeline of mine, i might take Rich up on his offer in the near future.

It shouldnt be much longer. It was literally just something i wanted to do for fun so thats why i havent really pushed it along faster. I have all the guns i need. I just think the sherman lines are cool and very effecient. I guess with me not needing it as a primary target or hunting gun that there wasnt really any pressure to get it finished. Rich did offer to loan me his go gauge months back but i was just going to wait for mine to come in. Depending on the timeline of mine, i might take Rich up on his offer in the near future.
I just called whidden and they will take care of your hydro problem!! Just give them a call and ask for rich. If they don't do it immediately let me know. Also, I will send you my gauge. This has taken too long and I am sorry for all the hassle.....rich

Last edited:
Howdy. I know this is a old thread. But I was wondering if you ever did any test with the 300 Sherman and 215 berger or the 225 Hornadys? If so would you be willing to post what you found out? I like my 06. But am always looking to improve on it if I can. I just do not want a Ackly.

Thanks for your help and time.
I was able to reach 2900 with 215's before rl26 came out so you should be able to come close to 3000

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.