6.5 Sherman vs 6.5-300 Wby Mag?

I have the Leopard variant of the 6.5 X 300WSM. I built it on a Sako A7 and got data right from Berger. Short action and it shoots great. 140 Grain VLD at 3100fps. This is my sheep rifle.
Both of my Browning single shots and sulljr's Ruger single shot ran about the same .

woof - i checked it out, and they are 2.50/each. Id have to find a cheaper source as i usually take at least 300 of them with me.

is there a link to the 6.5 sherman brass?
This is starting to seem like there is some confusion building here. There is no adg Sherman brass. All Sherman needs formed. Rich does have adg Sherman Short and Sherman short tactical (sst) brass. The Sherman is long action formed from 270 win parent.
They may cost a bit but if you went that direction the brass is REALLY tough! He did 20+ firings with his testing on the brass and primer pockets still are good. Break it down per loading and that's not much.

This is starting to seem like there is some confusion building here. There is no adg Sherman brass. All Sherman needs formed. Rich does have adg Sherman Short and Sherman short tactical (sst) brass. The Sherman is long action formed from 270 win parent.
They may cost a bit but if you went that direction the brass is REALLY tough! He did 20+ firings with his testing on the brass and primer pockets still are good. Break it down per loading and that's not much.

Yes, the ADG brass is definitely tough! From what I understand all the ADG SS brass that Rich now sells has a 7mm neck but is fully formed otherwise and although he sells various headstamped SS it will need the necks to be resized to the marked caliber stamp with the exception of the 7mm version.

We have a 6.5-7wsm. Run 147's 3308 with rl33 and a 27" barrel. It can do 3400's just wasn't as accurate.

We have a 25" 6mm creedmoor that runs 110smk 3230. With out pushing hard.

Rl23 And 210m's
Have another rifle and run 105vld's at 3300 with the 23 as well.
Start at 40 and go up.

The goal will be 1200yd+ Prairie dog hunting. I wouldn't mind something like a 6mm but at that distance wind starts to take a heavy toll.

7mm bullets, i like the extra weight, but after running the numbers in shooter the 6.5 is a bit better and its lower recoil and less powder. if i was hunting game id use 7mm but since they are prairie dogs, 6.5 is 100% fine.

i dont have an action picked out yet so magnum vs long action vs short action isnt really a consideration. im thinking that i like .264 magnum so far but im not married to it.

my 'wish list' would be
1. available brass
2. minimal prep (non-fireformed over fireformed for example)
3. barrel life
4. recoil/efficiency (example would be a cartridge that has 10gr more powder but only 50fps more)

if i know the drawbacks i can work around them. if its a barrel burner, id build on a savage action and get a quality pre-fit barrel from some place like shilen to swap myself vs having one made by GAP locally for ~750-800.

This table is for the 6.5mm Sherman SST 125 grain solid copper badlands bullet

Attachments

• 8435AC4A-5CD7-4989-A8CF-FBBCC869E04B.jpeg
    8435AC4A-5CD7-4989-A8CF-FBBCC869E04B.jpeg
    228.9 KB · Views: 84
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.