300 Sherman Shortmag (SS)

It's been a couple weeks since I shot but life has been crazy so here were my results from my last shoot.

208 ELD-M
2953 fps
312 yard zero
50 degree's
27.0 INHg
7degree target angle

oh ya and I ranged it at 1563 yards.

Sent the first shot which landed with nearly perfect but was off on windage by 2 moa. Next hit perfect windage buy moa low. Third shot landed exactly where I wanted on the rock. I was very happy with this. My shooting app called for 48.5 moa but ended up with 49.5 moa for the hit. I wish I could have got it on my first or second shot but thats always the goal and why the practice continues gun) I was able to video the shots through my spotting scope I just wish I was able to post it.

Rock measured with reticle at about 36" long by 15" tall.

To say I'm pleased with this rife is an understatement for sure!!!!

I am doing the 300 Sherman. I know that i cannot use your data for my purposes. I am just interested in the performance differences between the two. I went this route due to me already having a R700 30/06 donor rifle and 270 brass being cheaper. My goal is 3000 fps with 215 Bergers and the 200-212 ELD-M/ELD-X line up(300wm performance).

My set up:
R700 LA
30" Bartlein 5R 1:9 Heavy Varmint
HBN bore and bullet coating
Greybull Renegade stock (A5 copy)
Triggertech Trigger

Undecided on scope and muzzle break.
Leaning towards NF NXS or equivalent.

This will be for long range whitetail deer hunting / taget shooting. I am currently gathering data to start another build as well. Looking to either go 338 Sherman w/ 250 Bergers or 30/375 S.I. w/ 245 Bergers when they are released!

I am doing the 300 Sherman. I know that i cannot use your data for my purposes. I am just interested in the performance differences between the two. I went this route due to me already having a R700 30/06 donor rifle and 270 brass being cheaper. My goal is 3000 fps with 215 Bergers and the 200-212 ELD-M/ELD-X line up(300wm performance).

My set up:
R700 LA
30" Bartlein 5R 1:9 Heavy Varmint
HBN bore and bullet coating
Greybull Renegade stock (A5 copy)
Triggertech Trigger

Undecided on scope and muzzle break.
Leaning towards NF NXS or equivalent.

This will be for long range whitetail deer hunting / taget shooting. I am currently gathering data to start another build as well. Looking to either go 338 Sherman w/ 250 Bergers or 30/375 S.I. w/ 245 Bergers when they are released!

That sounds like it will be a sweet rig!!! With your twist and added capacity you may be able to push the 225 eld m at a decent speed if you choose. Its a little to much for the SS. I believe I maxed it out at 2875 fps but that was absolute max just to see. Probably would be able to shoot it comfortably around 2770 for the ss. You should be able to hold 3-4 more grains of powder than me.

As far as scopes I have a few NXS and really love them but I did get the new Swarovski X5 which is on this 300 SS and the glass quality is top notch!! Blows the NF out of the water. It does have large turrets but I really like them and some of the other features.

Looking forward to seeing your build.

What g7 are you using for the 208s? Still a great thread i see. Its been a while since ive looked.

I'm using a g7 of .337 and seems to be pretty on for me. If you average the 3 numbers provided on the hornady website for the different speeds comes out to .342 which some people are doing this also...

Might be trying some hbn in this rifle just for the fun of it to see how I like it in the larger bores since I wasnt overly impressed in all my 270 bores. Might be a few weeks til family stops planning my weekends and bear season winds down

Loaded up 4 rounds in the 300 SS with 62.4 grains of RL 26 and fed 210 M at .010" off with the 225 grain ELD-M to see what happened. It wasnt very bad at all for being rushed to go get our first horse and bring to our house. I always have large poi differences with the magneto on all my rifles (almost sounds like I'm one of the few who do) so I shot first shot just to make sure I was on paper to adjust from there. First shot hit top of paper and from there made the proper adjustment to shoot the next 3 shots for a group. These 3 went to .975" (at 115 yards) which isnt that great but pressure was good and I feel that being rushed and not a great rest it would produce at least the .5 moa or better I'm use to in this is very possible. The speeds were a little different from expected. Speeds in order of shots as follows: 2772, 2800, 2785, and 2784 fps. Another thing to note is this is the first firing with full loads in this freshly fire formed brass (COW method) which could explain some of the variance.

I will be playing with this a little more to see if I can tighten this group up since I'm thrilled with the speed and pressure I'm seeing. If this load runs consistent at the 2775 fps area it will beat the 208 load currently used (high end of pressure)

Did some more playing with the 225 eld m last night to see how it did on paper at distance for a group. Didn't get sighted back in perfect before shooting this but still happy with it. (Ignore the 3 small 6mm holes scattered around) the 3 225 grain bullets went less than 1" at 416 yards! Looking like this will be the load I stick with as it is way easier on my brass and still think 2778 fps is cooking for this little cartridge.

20170623_205926.jpg

Looking to build this or the 338 SS on a Ruger M77 long action that is currently a 300 win mag, but max length you can load is 3.430....limits your long range bullet selection significantly. This cartridge throated to have the bearing surface of a 215 just above the shoulder/neck junction by .010" or so would be a perfect solution...a 215 Berger at 2950 would be awesome.

Looking to build this or the 338 SS on a Ruger M77 long action that is currently a 300 win mag, but max length you can load is 3.430....limits your long range bullet selection significantly. This cartridge throated to have the bearing surface of a 215 just above the shoulder/neck junction by .010" or so would be a perfect solution...a 215 Berger at 2950 would be awesome.

That is close to where it is throated if my memory serves me............Rich

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I've been looking quite hard at the 300 ss. I have two very slightly used 30 cal barrels and am thinking bout cutting them back and chambering them in the ss. I have a model seven mag action setting here waiting on one of them. Any more data on the 225s? Thinking I will stay with 208-212s to be mag fed but the 225s have me intrigued if they can be pushed like that.
Any others out there with the 300 ss?
Again sorry to drag up an old post

With my lot it looks like touching is 2.994. I'm loading at 2.980". Never shot the 200 ELD-X but I have a coal of 2.897"

Might as well list what I have while I'm at it. This is max coal (touching) from a single lot of bullets.
215 Berger. 3.034
190 Berger. 2.914
180 swift scirocco. 2.904
212 ELD-X. 2.965
225 eld-m. 3.038