300 Sherman Shortmag (SS)

That was an awesome buck and some great shooting you did. Really one hell of a way to start out with a new rifle. I been researching the 6.5 Sherman a lot. I think I'm just going to have to break down and do some over time to get some money saved up faster for a build. Hoping I can do this on a savage action as well. So for comparison I'm burning 87 grains RL 26 shooting a 220 ELD-X around 3180 out of a 300 RUM. I'm burning a lot more powder for the gain in velocity than what your getting with that 300 Sherman case. The case design is just incredible in what's its getting for velocity.

That was an awesome buck and some great shooting you did. Really one hell of a way to start out with a new rifle. I been researching the 6.5 Sherman a lot. I think I'm just going to have to break down and do some over time to get some money saved up faster for a build. Hoping I can do this on a savage action as well. So for comparison I'm burning 87 grains RL 26 shooting a 220 ELD-X around 3180 out of a 300 RUM. I'm burning a lot more powder for the gain in velocity than what your getting with that 300 Sherman case. The case design is just incredible in what's its getting for velocity.

Thanks! It sure made my year! These designs are very efficient and fun to shoot.

The 225 ELD-M showed up couple days ago and it looks like my COAL is 3.038" with this bullet. Also made it out to see max load with RL 26 with the bullet .010" off.

62 2750
63 2810
64 2835
65 2875

64 and 65 were compressed loads and 65 is all that will fit in there. 65 grains was definately max pressure with heavy bolt lift and cratered primer but I had to see how fast these would go just for science sake :) It seems this bullet will run comfortable right at the 2800 fps mark but ballistics-wise its not going to be my go to bullet.... Next up for testing will be the 208 ELD-M

That test happened quicker than I thought...

39* 27.2inHg

208 ELD-M
.007" off
RL 26
Fed 210 GM

65 2908
66 2967
67 3025

It looks like these will shoot at comparable speeds to the 215 berger BUT these have a COAL of 2.990"
67 grains is the max amount of powder and pressure for this combo. I'm hoping to find a load around 2930fps or so.

That test happened quicker than I thought...

39* 27.2inHg

208 ELD-M
.007" off
RL 26
Fed 210 GM

65 2908
66 2967
67 3025

It looks like these will shoot at comparable speeds to the 215 berger BUT these have a COAL of 2.990"
67 grains is the max amount of powder and pressure for this combo. I'm hoping to find a load around 2930fps or so.

Lookin' good Ryan. I think the ELDM will make a good hunting bullet if you can get them to group; and they likely will.....Rich

That is excellent news, thank you for the continued research! Close to fitting in an Alpha Type 3 magazine (2.97 COAL)

With the temps breaking and a little bit of sun I was able to do a quick test with the 208 ELD-M to follow up the pressure test I did a couple months ago. 4 rounds were loaded and shot at 100 yards. I was quite pleased with the results so far.
These loads were under the magic 3" oal that some people strive for which also was very nice to find.

208 ELD-M
65.3 grains Rl 26
210 Fed 210 GM
2.982" COAL

1. 2951
2. 2952
3. 2954
4. 2965
(speed obtained with magnetospeed)
Extremely good ES with the first 3 shots. The fourth gave me a little trouble because I was having difficulty getting steady and had the round in the chamber for close to a minute which warmed it up quite a bit I imagine.

The first shot was a slightly left of the following 3 which I have seen happen with the magnetospeed and first shots on this and other rifles. I think its linked to the magneto moving slightly as it settles which happens no matter how much I tighten it to start with.

I did not run into pressure on this load and this was also very pleasing to find. This means I could stoke it up a little or even try some HBN and gain a little more speed since I was able to stuff 67 grains under the 208 with a drop tube when I did my pressure test.

20170210_162804.jpg

Guess I should have picked the target up before I blasted the steel target right next to it with the 22's to avoid the shrapnel :D
Picture should be rotated 90 degrees to right

Lookin' good Ryan! Probably the only bullet that WOULD be over 3" coal is the 215. At least any bullet you would want to shoot in an SS........Rich

Kinda curious what the results would be with a 210 JLK LBT, relatively close to the 215 in BC, but around a tenth of an inch shorter in length if I remember right. Might make a good DBM friendly setup, I don't know.

Any updates or have you called it good and stopped load development?
I have a barrel at the smith waiting to be chambered in 300 Sherman with hydroforming & loading dies on order with Rich!

Any updates or have you called it good and stopped load development?
I have a barrel at the smith waiting to be chambered in 300 Sherman with hydroforming & loading dies on order with Rich!

Are you doing a 300 Sherman or 300 Sherman Shortmag (SS)? Not quite the same thing if you were looking at my development for a Sherman.

I think I have settled on my load for this upcoming fall. The 208 ELD-M/ AMax are going to be my new load. I've had great success with the 208 A Max on game out of my Dakota and I feel it is more consistent for long range expansion vs hollow point. The only thing I may try in the future is to HBN some bullets but not going to mess with it til next year.

What are your build specs?