300 rum

I am getting 2985fps on average with a 28" pac-nor and H50BMG. 3000 can be achieved quite easily, but I am more accurate at this velocity. I have a tight neck and chamber in my rifle so I need the slow powders or I pressure out quick.

Reuben

Just for comparison I rechambered a 24" 300 win mag rem takeoff into a 300 RUM.

100 gr of RL-33 with 230 Berger match target hybrid 2975 fps

86 gr of H1000 with 230 Berger match target hybrid 2777 fps

RL-33 sure boosted velocity!

What do you guys all have to say about barrel life on a 300RUM? Can I get 1000rds out of it if I take somewhat descent care of it? When I say somewhat, I mean, regular cleaning and watching for barrel cooling? I have even heard of guys using ball powders because it is suppose to burn cooler.

It will be a hunting rifle so I am not looking for anything more than 1000rds I guess.

If I was gonna guess I would say the factory barrel has no chance at 1000, but if I were to rebarrel with a quality barrel, I could maybe reach it.

I've got at least 400 rounds on my 300rum that (I bought it used also) and she looks like the day (inside and out) the cross eyed Remington people put her together crooked as a crankshaft. Sad to say but the only rifle I have that actually uses an offset on the windage screws on the Leupy mounts is also one of the best shooters I have. Take that blueprinted actions:D.... In reality how hard you beat on a rifle has as much to do with bore life as the caliber. Don't wind the crap out of it, clean it well (take care not to tear it a new one cleaning), and don't get it hot will help a lot with bore life....

I'd say 1,000 rounds would be a good conservative # but I got 1,400 rounds out of my last stw and she was still shooting well; the stw is actually a bit more overbore than the 300rum.

Heck that isn't bad at all. So if I decided to go with a sendero contour barrel, would anybody go as long as 30" or do most stop at 28"? I was thinking of I went 30and burned out the diary couple inches, I could have it set back. Worth it or not?

I have a 300 RUM SENDERO. The only thing that remains factory is the barrel. The action has been trued, HS stock (Adjustable) and Jewel trigger. I am around 1500-1600 rds right now. Shot it about a month ago at 700 yds and it still was at half MOA. The throat has eroded 65 THOU from when I got it. I am still shooting my original COAL. The 215's are very forgiving. I shoot a mild load of 91 gr H1000 at 2985 fps. Very accurate. From my experience I wouldn't be concerned about barrel life.

Interesting. I read a thread on here where Kirby Allen was talking about barrel life a little bit. He attributes wear more to hay and cleaning than anything. I am pretty religious about 5 minutes between shots generally. Is that good or should I be eating longer? Usually don't shoot in hot Temps. Also I clean roughly every 20-40 rounds. Is thay generally enough or should I be doing it more than that?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.