300 PRC question

On hogs ..... not elk.... I've had great success with the 225 ELDM in my 300prc especially at distances over 600yds. If you want pass thru shots at 600yds+ the ELDM is not the bullet I would choose. If you want to turn the respiratory system of a hog into sludge on the other side of a wheat field....the ELDM works just fine.

That being said...if I were going after the elk of a lifetime I'd probably grab something 338 flavored and 250gr or heavier. That way I'd know I'm not leaving any performance on the reloading bench.

175ELDX dead before he hit the ground. I don't think the ELDM is much different on how it works on game animals.
1157.jpeg

Attachments

• 1451.jpeg
    1451.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 149.jpeg
    149.jpeg
    489.2 KB · Views: 36
175ELDX dead before he hit the ground. I don't think the ELDM is much different on how it works on game animals.View attachment 485692
I use the ELD-M all the time. It's a bit more frangible but a 225 on an Elk would be a good weight option. Wouldn't go any lighter. It will and has exited on Elk. Does a ton of internal damage also

All the guys in here saying not to use them, I assume you have experience with them on big game?

Oh you don't? Ok…

I've used the the 180 eldms with great success on elk, deer and antelope. Will be using the 225s this year. It's rare I don't get an exit the size of a baseball.

Shoot them!
What 7mm cartridge were you using for the 180eldm ?

Is there any particular reason you're running a 30cal instead this year ?

I'm a big ELDm fan but tossed between a 7prc and 300prc for my next build

I think this mainly depends on what else you've got in the cabinet. The 7 PRC has the best external ballistics due to its higher BC and muzzle velocity. It also has significantly lower recoil than the 300. All of this should translate into a very shootable LR rifle with excellent external and terminal ballistics.

OTOH, I replaced my 7mm RM (previously my primary and most powerful hunting rifle) with a 300 PRC and a 6.5 PRC barrel. Have the more powerful, higher recoil barrel for elk and moose and the 6.5 for everything else. If I were you, I'd be looking for a reason NOT to choose the 7 PRC. Seems to me it's the best LR cartridge with factory ammo support available. I've never had a 300 magnum, which was one reason I got one, and I was also convinced by those who claim it has better terminal performance than 7 RM on elk. We shall see.

This fall, I've got a bull moose tag here in Alberta. Though I plan to use 225 gr ELDM in my 300, since I expect my shot to be less than 200 yds I'm planning to use 190 gr CX if they shoot well enough in my rifle. My only reservation with the ELDM is hitting heavy bone in a large bodied animal at close range at high velocity. I think it's an excellent long range bullet for hunting. I also hope to take a whitetail or 3 and test out the ELDM on them. I've only taken a pronghorn with an ELDM so far and it worked well, but everything I've read and those I've talked to with more experience with them have had good performance. Like I said, my only concern would be at close range where you might need to take a quartering shot on a big bodied animal.

Following with interest, enjoy hearing about people's real world experience.

I think this mainly depends on what else you've got in the cabinet. The 7 PRC has the best external ballistics due to its higher BC and muzzle velocity. It also has significantly lower recoil than the 300. All of this should translate into a very shootable LR rifle with excellent external and terminal ballistics.

OTOH, I replaced my 7mm RM (previously my primary and most powerful hunting rifle) with a 300 PRC and a 6.5 PRC barrel. Have the more powerful, higher recoil barrel for elk and moose and the 6.5 for everything else. If I were you, I'd be looking for a reason NOT to choose the 7 PRC. Seems to me it's the best LR cartridge with factory ammo support available. I've never had a 300 magnum, which was one reason I got one, and I was also convinced by those who claim it has better terminal performance than 7 RM on elk. We shall see.

This fall, I've got a bull moose tag here in Alberta. Though I plan to use 225 gr ELDM in my 300, since I expect my shot to be less than 200 yds I'm planning to use 190 gr CX if they shoot well enough in my rifle. My only reservation with the ELDM is hitting heavy bone in a large bodied animal at close range at high velocity. I think it's an excellent long range bullet for hunting. I also hope to take a whitetail or 3 and test out the ELDM on them. I've only taken a pronghorn with an ELDM so far and it worked well, but everything I've read and those I've talked to with more experience with them have had good performance. Like I said, my only concern would be at close range where you might need to take a quartering shot on a big bodied animal.

Following with interest, enjoy hearing about people's real world experience.
I'm not certain a 225 ELD-M is a poor choice for Moose but I wouldn't want to be the one finding out. I'd go with a bonded or as you have decided, a copper solid design. I also would stay with a heavier bullet for a Big animal like a Moose. I know the solid copper bullets often need a faster barrel to stabilize them depending on the design. The Hornady CX is a design that is a bit less picky I think. Anything 180 or heavier I'd think would be great in a bigger .308 cartridge.