300 PRC question

oh hell no. Been there done that. Super accurate, but bullet does not penetrate. Blows up on any bone or shoulder. ELD-X much better choice. IMHO
Could you describe this "blows up" statement? Does the bullet vaporize? How deep does it penetrate? Break any bones?

I've seen them completely destroy an elk scapula and keep on going. Never seen one vaporize yet.

That's what I'm planning to use. My only concern is sub 150-200 yds for lack of penetration due to high retained velocity and rapid expansion. The mass of the bullet should help, but I would have some concerns hunting in an area with timber where you could end up with a close range shot at well under 100 yds. Might have to pass up some shot presentations at close range. Would not be concerned at 400 yds plus.

I'm going to see how close POI is between the 190 CX/Barnes LRX and 225 ELD M. Hoping to find something that's accurate enough out to 200 yds or so and use the ELDM on longer range shots where I should have more time to setup.

There's a 300 PRC terminal ascent that's been announced, but it seems to be unobtainium at the moment. It seems like it could be a good one bullet answer. Would love to hear real world experience from people using them on game like moose and elk.

Of course it will all depend on how well my rifle and I shoot that load. I practice out to 800m but it remains to be seen if I can shoot my 300 accurately that far (hasn't arrived yet).

All the guys in here saying not to use them, I assume you have experience with them on big game?

Oh you don't? Ok…

I've used the the 180 eldms with great success on elk, deer and antelope. Will be using the 225s this year. It's rare I don't get an exit the size of a baseball.

Shoot them!
I don't? OK? As a matter of fact I do have experience with the 300 PRC. I prefer the 212 grain over the 225. Better proven results, that's why. There are many calibers, weights, and configurations that can get the job done on nearly any animal in North America just some are preferred. And, by the way, you said you've used 180 grain eldms but, as far as I know, that bullet isn't available for a 300 PRC, although I could be mistaken but haven't seen it in my travels with my rifle.

Cousin's wife shot this small Muley with my rifle. 300 PRC with 225's going about 2900 fps. 200 yards. Shot at base of the neck quartering away. Dropped at the shot. Zero bullet made it out the other side. Broke the neck but not even a bruise on the meat on the other side of the spine.
912BFBB5-ED88-49A7-9CE9-0C117449C4D3.jpeg
53FACA5B-E724-4679-B48C-BA51F4CACDF5.jpeg

What you get with a match bullet is fantastic accuracy and unpredictable terminal results. Period. If you're ok with some terminal risk (may work great, but also may not) in exchange for great accuracy and a high BC then go for it.
The same season as this deer, I shot a buck with the same setup at 600 yards, broadside through the middle of the ribs. Ran in a circle and stood there for a minute and then tipped over. There was also no exit on that one. I live in elk country and shoot, and see shot, a handful of elk every year and I would not use this bullet on an elk unless it was a tiny calf or you could guarantee a broadside shot at an impact velocity of under 2200ish fps.

I don't? OK? As a matter of fact I do have experience with the 300 PRC. I prefer the 212 grain over the 225. Better proven results, that's why. There are many calibers, weights, and configurations that can get the job done on nearly any animal in North America just some are preferred. And, by the way, you said you've used 180 grain eldms but, as far as I know, that bullet isn't available for a 300 PRC, although I could be mistaken but haven't seen it in my travels with my rifle.
Never saw loaded ammo with it. 195 grain eldm bullets but not loaded in the 300PRC. Only 212/225s from Hornady

Last edited:

180s are the .284 which I have extensive experience with. Have yet to see the mysterious vaporization of a bullet on a 1/4" thick shoulder blade, which is actually about the same thickness as a rib.

LRH is definitely "your daddy's way of thinking". If you don't shoot a mono you won't kill an elk. Target bullets are for paper, blah blah blah. Lots of guys proving this isn't true, but the old way of thinking is hard for a lot of guys to change.

Cousin's wife shot this small Muley with my rifle. 300 PRC with 225's going about 2900 fps. 200 yards. Shot at base of the neck quartering away. Dropped at the shot. Zero bullet made it out the other side. Broke the neck but not even a bruise on the meat on the other side of the spine.View attachment 453246View attachment 453247
What you get with a match bullet is fantastic accuracy and unpredictable terminal results. Period. If you're ok with some terminal risk (may work great, but also may not) in exchange for great accuracy and a high BC then go for it.
The same season as this deer, I shot a buck with the same setup at 600 yards, broadside through the middle of the ribs. Ran in a circle and stood there for a minute and then tipped over. There was also no exit on that one. I live in elk country and shoot, and see shot, a handful of elk every year and I would not use this bullet on an elk unless it was a tiny calf or you could guarantee a broadside shot at an impact velocity of under 2200ish fps.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Food for thought.

Never saw loaded ammo with it. 195 grain eldm bullets but not loaded in the 300PRC. Only 212/225s from Hornady
Haven't found them yet here in Canada, but they are loading a 215 gr Terminal ascent. Haven't been able to find ballistic info either.

After reading post it sound like the match bullet will kill game. So I guess the question is why Hornady spends so much time and money making ELD-X bullets. I used the SST but never liked them, give me the Interbond any day out to 650.