300 PRC

Thanks to those that responded. It seems that the M's might not be my choice on this hunt. I'll play with the X's and hope I can get them to group better this time.

I hunt over a meadow that potentially could be up to 800 yds. I never plan on shooting at one that far though. I like to stay in the 400 or less if possible
At 400 yards or less, if you hand load, I'd be looking at Hammer's. I've loaded them in several cartridges and all were very accurate and reliable out to 500, then the average BC starts to show itself. Lot's of options in grain weights there, some folks are running 124 grain 30 caliber bullets at nearly 4,000 fps with absolutely incredible terminal results. I've been running the 178 absolute hammer in my 300 WM for whitetails near my home for several years, where shot ranges are less than 400. Pushing this bullet at a comfortable 3,280 fps in a 24" barrel and it is very impressive terminally with the added benefit of minimal meat loss. The best part about the hammers is they allow more shot angles due to their outstanding ability to penetrate, and almost always pass through for a solid blood trail, but I have only had an animal go 30 yards max after impact.

Unfortunately not a lot of factory offerings in 300 PRC yet for those who don't load their own. The Federal Terminal Ascent looks interesting but hard to find. With the ELDX, based on minimal personal experience of 1 whitetail and 2 mule deer that I've taken with them in other cartridges, and a couple other kills I have witnessed, I'd just be mindful of the bullets thin jacket and stay behind the shoulder for point of aim on the entry side, particularly on closer shots where impact velocity is higher and the bullet more prone to a violent reaction. They should perform well if you keep this in mind.

Last edited:
At 400 yards or less, if you hand load, I'd be looking at Hammer's. I've loaded them in several cartridges and all were very accurate and reliable out to 500, then the average BC starts to show itself. Lot's of options in grain weights there, some folks are running 124 grain 30 caliber bullets at nearly 4,000 fps with absolutely incredible terminal results. I've been running the 178 absolute hammer in my 300 WM for whitetails near my home for several years, where shot ranges are less than 400. Pushing this bullet at a comfortable 3,280 fps in a 24" barrel and it is very impressive terminally with the added benefit of minimal meat loss. The best part about the hammers is they allow more shot angles due to their outstanding ability to penetrate, and almost always pass through for a solid blood trail, but I have only had an animal go 30 yards max after impact.

Unfortunately not a lot of factory offerings in 300 PRC yet for those who don't load their own. The Federal Terminal Ascent looks interesting but hard to find. With the ELDX, based on minimal personal experience of 1 whitetail and 2 mule deer that I've taken with them in other cartridges, and a couple other kills I have witnessed, I'd just be mindful of the bullets thin jacket and stay behind the shoulder for point of aim on the entry side, particularly on closer shots where impact velocity is higher and the bullet more prone to a violent reaction. They should perform well if you keep this in mind.
I'd see how the factory 225 ELD-Ms shoot in my rifle.

If they work, the that's the easy button for less than $3/round.