300 prc or 28 nosler

If you had to pick one for hunting out to 1000yards on whitetail and targets out to a mile what one would you choose?
I have experience with both at those distances.
The 300PRC is going to be able to deliver a Heavier bullet but let's say you loaded both with 190g bullet. The 300PRC Will sling that at 3100-3200 no problem. Serious smack down at 1200y
28 Nos will be a tick slower at the 3000-3050 range
I'm talking about a conservative load on each not pushing the limits which you could easily do.
I've been very impressed at what the impacts look like on steel out to 1200y with both.
If you used A-Tips both will hit A mile.
Now with all that said the 300PRC can send a 230g A-tip past a mile (around 1850 at my elevation/location) and still be supersonic. The 28 Nos can do that but only with a 190g A-Tip. A 175g at 3200fps will still barely be supersonic at 1760, again my location. I love the 175g ELD-X and it runs great anywhere on 3000-3200. I haven't pushed it faster but it could go faster but I don't think it's necessary with that bullet.
I would not bother with lighter bullets in the 28NOS, except for the Barnes 168g LRX or 175 TSX. Just my experience for what it's worth.

Economically 300PRC barely more cost effective.
Bullet choice: 300PRC.

Lastly, don't go with some pencil thin barrel on either but definitely not the 28 NOS. More metal is your friend. Again from experiences

Short neck on the nosler, commercially I think the PRC will do better, in the long run. But this is outside the realm of ballistics

What is the PRC going to do that your RUM won't? Or maybe the question is what might the PRC do better than the RUM?

I have a 28 and a 300RUM, I don't use anything lighter than 180 in the 28 or 212 in the RUM, on steel there isn't enough difference to discuss in my opinion. For deer I would probably take the 28 but I would also investigate something in the 140-168 grain range too. My son shoots his 28 to 1000 on steel or rocks with ease using 162 ELD-X a bit over 3300 and I suspect the bullet would perform well on deer at that distance too. His 162 load is significantly flatter than my 195's in the 28 or anything in my RUM at 1000 by quite a bit and unless the wind is gusting he doesn't have any real disadvantage running the lighter bullet. The throat erosion is significant, that is really the only downside I see.

What is the PRC going to do that your RUM won't? Or maybe the question is what might the PRC do better than the RUM?

I have a 28 and a 300RUM, I don't use anything lighter than 180 in the 28 or 212 in the RUM, on steel there isn't enough difference to discuss in my opinion. For deer I would probably take the 28 but I would also investigate something in the 140-168 grain range too. My son shoots his 28 to 1000 on steel or rocks with ease using 162 ELD-X a bit over 3300 and I suspect the bullet would perform well on deer at that distance too. His 162 load is significantly flatter than my 195's in the 28 or anything in my RUM at 1000 by quite a bit and unless the wind is gusting he doesn't have any real disadvantage running the lighter bullet. The throat erosion is significant, that is really the only downside I see.
That and a 5-10% reduction in powder usage add up over time. Rum brass is very hard to come by at times and certainly far more expensive as well.

I love my Rum's for sure and they won't be going anywhere but I also realize that 10-20 years from now it may well be all but impossible to find brass for them and if I can the cost will be ridiculous. That isn't going to be a problem PRC shooters are likely to deal with at least for the rest of this century.

If you had to pick one for hunting out to 1000yards on whitetail and targets out to a mile what one would you choose?
Man been thinking you should just do a 30-28 nosler. 28N is gonna get ya 3100+ max out of 195's, 300 prc is gonna get ya the same. The 30-28 nosler is just gonna be at 300 Norma mag levels. But if ya think about it 50 fps ain't gonna mack that much difference I promise. And a elk really isn't gonna tell the difference lol.

That and a 5-10% reduction in powder usage add up over time. Rum brass is very hard to come by at times and certainly far more expensive as well.

I love my Rum's for sure and they won't be going anywhere but I also realize that 10-20 years from now it may well be all but impossible to find brass for them and if I can the cost will be ridiculous. That isn't going to be a problem PRC shooters are likely to deal with at least for the rest of this century.
I suppose, I buy a couple hundred pieces of brass for any new cartridge when I buy/build the rifle so I don't think about it that way. Sometimes I buy the brass and then the rifle. A couple hundred pieces of good RUM brass will last many barrels too. My 28 and RUM brass were nearly the same cost, but I bought Gunwerks for both. I don't use Hornady brass in anything but 6.5cm, and only there because I bought several hundred before I realized how poor it is compared to ADG or Gunwerks or Peterson etc. Nosler brass is in the same category as Hornady for me as well, I don't buy it anymore for anything. Good brass is cheap when considering the cost of using up a barrel or three in an overbore magnum......

28 is one bad round in a good way. The 300 prc in my opinion is still a better cartridge for hunting just because of the .30 cal. Also the barrel life will be double that of the 28. Before people chew me up for saying the 30 is better for animals hear me out. My main hunting rifle is a 7rm and I have no issues with using it on elk ect. I've used a 6.5 on elk and won't do that again unless I have no other option. The 7 is a great elk cartridge and the 30 is even better.

Have you taken a look at 30 & 26 Hornady brass. I saw it this morning for $2.73 per case. I guess they feel they are up with the big boys for top brass. Ha! Ha!.