7-300 or 28 nosler

Nice. How did the bullet perform? I thought about trying the 180 eldm. Sounds like the first shot was right where it should have went, wondering why you needed a second? Did it not open well?
I would hope for a one shot drop but at 1,000 yards I would shoot him again until he's down, even if I had shot him with the .338 as it's hard to tell exactly where you hit him, and I don't want to track him with that big of a head start, especially in the evening(although this looks like it was a morning hunt ?) Sometimes they stand there for a while then collapse and I'm pretty sure he wasn't moving for the 2nd shot.
---------------------------------------------------------
Regardless, TMT307 congratulations on a nice bull ! That's great speed with one of the most temp stable powders available. Do your drops match the advertised .796BC ?
I've been thinking of switching one of my 300 RUMs to a 7RUM for big heavy non lead bullets but am waiting until I shoot the 9 twist barrel out(needs an 8 twist). Currently it pushes 143 grain Hammers at 3,600fps with RL26

I did find this while searching for 28 Nosler brass(about ~$3 each on gunbroker)
http://www.shootersproshop.com/nosl...nosler-300-saum-unprimed-brass-blem-50ct.html

I would hope for a one shot drop but at 1,000 yards I would shoot him again until he's down, even if I had shot him with the .338 as it's hard to tell exactly where you hit him, and I don't want to track him with that big of a head start, especially in the evening(although this looks like it was a morning hunt ?) Sometimes they stand there for a while then collapse and I'm pretty sure he wasn't moving for the 2nd shot.
---------------------------------------------------------
Regardless, TMT307 congratulations on a nice bull ! That's great speed with one of the most temp stable powders available. Do your drops match the advertised .796BC ?
I've been thinking of switching one of my 300 RUMs to a 7RUM for big heavy non lead bullets but am waiting until I shoot the 9 twist barrel out(needs an 8 twist). Currently it pushes 143 grain Hammers at 3,600fps with RL26

I did find this while searching for 28 Nosler brass(about ~$3 each on gunbroker)
http://www.shootersproshop.com/nosl...nosler-300-saum-unprimed-brass-blem-50ct.html
Awful nice bull, congrats. He looks to have an awfully big body, where was he killed?

One and done is my motto. Didn't hold for wind on the first. Did on the second.(1min ~10inches) The first shot was a lethal shot second was insurance. It's a bad place to kill an elk let alone pack one out. The bullet did it's job pass thru exit hole was the size of a golf ball.

No photoshop editing here. Split the scapula almost in half. Estimated KE at 975 ~1600 flb

Very little damage to the meat 1/2 lb at most. This was a meat hunt in WYOMING the last days of the season and the 2nd elk of the minute!!!! **** show. Drop one(875) and do the Chinese fire drill.

0CC4F39F-B018-467C-9392-7622D62ED69E.jpeg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.