300 norma or 338 edge custom rifle build

He was being Sarcastic, and if you really amp up the 300's with the large pills in a improved version they keep up with the 338 in the 1000-1400 type range.Tom punches 2000 Yrds with his 338 LAI,65# rig. Sorry slow on keyboard, hunt the distance

But what happens when you really amp up the 338's with the heavy bullets?

I think a edge is a pretty good cheap gun, is there better sure. Just at what expense and gain.

I did get he was joking around. That is the bad thing with the internet you cannot get the full extent of a persons intentions.

I think a guy kinda has to decide what bullet you want to shoot and then what kind of shot you'd take with it.

IMO, if your going to pack this sucker after elk the 300 Norma in a 10lb or less total weight configuration with a 230 Berger would be excellent.

If your setting up and ground sluicing elk from near a parking spot then a bigger 338 will do nicely pushing a 300 Berger.

338 norma.

Higher bc and Better barrel life than the 300, will slide into a magazine with the bullet seated way out, more energy and its effective range is greater than the 300's. Sure the 300's are flatter but with a good scope does that really matter? Are a few more clicks of elevation that big of a deal? And now that hornady have a CHEAP 338 amax(compared to others) so its now economical to shoot the 338! I was trying to choose between the 30 and 338nm and i went with the 338 for the reason i listed.

Now if u really like the 338 edge, i cant argue against it! Unless u want to use a standard mag.

I can't post pictures from my phone, feel free Shawn. John also has a reamer for 338 norma improved, it's the exact same except the neck of course. The beauty of the norma is you throat em for real bullets and still use as a repeater. My 338 LIMP on the right has the proper freebore for 300 grain smk and hybrid, but is a single shot. I have always believed that your potential precision is much greater if the rifle allows you to see impacts. So my personal preference for rifle weight for a given cartridge might be heavier than a lot of folks. We are doing these first 300's at 12 lbs, and if it jumps to much, a heavier barrel will be on order.

My 338 accuracy is at 2990 with a 300 hybrid, wind drift at a mile is 106.27 inches at the last field data I had entered.

The 300 will drive 230 hybrids safely to 3150, same parameters entered, wind at a mile is 120.71 inches.

338's will always have an energy advantage, but the 30 has sufficient energy.... a lot less violence on my end of it though.

My current 338 weighs 22 lbs, and I spot hits well at that weight.

Tom

I just recently finished my LR build. I was seriously considering a .338 of some kind. Most likely would have been the edge. But then I started looking at long range ballistics between a fast 300 using 230 Bergers compared to a slower .338 pushing 300 grain Sierras and OTM's. I was able to design and have a rifle built (full custom 300 RUM CMT) that easily pushes the 230 Berger Target at 3250fps with no pressure. It prints well inside .5 MOA. When compared to a .338 cal 300 grain Sierra at 2850fps, I walk all over it even past 1500 yards. Several hundred fps more speed and a couple hundred more ft/lbs energy past 1500 yards. Now with the .338 300 grain OTM (2850fps) I'm neck and neck on energy but surpass it by about 150fps on speed again all the way to 1500 yards. I was really looking hard at impact velocity and getting the bullet to open better at really long distance. Now if you step up to a faster .338 then that's a whole new ball game.

The 300 norma imp. Really has my attention running 230gr pills. I've been researching it and there seems to be some controversy over going to the 40 degree shoulder, some are saying only go to 35 max. Any experience with this gentlemen, looking for solid data as to whether or not there are any issues. How much more oomph does the imp have on the standard. My build will be sporting a 28-30in barrel.

The 300 norma imp. Really has my attention running 230gr pills. I've been researching it and there seems to be some controversy over going to the 40 degree shoulder, some are saying only go to 35 max. Any experience with this gentlemen, looking for solid data as to whether or not there are any issues. How much more oomph does the imp have on the standard. My build will be sporting a 28-30in barrel.
Do a search on the 300 JAZZ

Ive explored this option too and i just dont see a great advantage in this. Most of the taper is already blown out and u will gain 150-200fps at the moost from what ive read. Fireforming the cases is more work than its worth if u ask me. Itll cut your barrel life back from an already relatively short life to begin with!

But thats only my opinion.

Ill ask my budy that just built the 300 FOG off 338 Norma.They built 2 and are just in beginnig test stage. He has a 338 LAI and competes in 1000 Bench and wins. He has a ton of experience in getting stuff to shoot long. I have a pict of cartridge on I phone but dont know how to get to here.Look at post #4 and you can see what Tom is getting in a improved.Then compare. I have another friend on here that shoots a 300/338 LAI and loves it,he cranks them out. I have 2 - 338 Normas so a 300 intrigues me also.

Shoulder is 37.5 if you want pict. of cartridge and can get text from a I phone PM me. I have pict. of 338 NM,300 Fog,338 Lai in line as listed.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.