300 blk 125gr sst load help

I've reloaded 300 Blk for a while and I shoot the 125 SST in my 16" barrel AR. I do not have my load data in front of me at the moment but I run L'il Gun in mine. H110 and W296 are the same powder just rebranded and both have a faster burn rate than L'il Gun so you may pick up a little more velocity with the slower burn. My son has taken NC deer from a 180# 8pt at 20 yards to a 153# doe at a ranged 176 yards and the SST has performed fantastic with good internal damage and a golf ball size exit on every animal taken. I run L'il Gun in my 16" bolt gun behind the Barnes 110 Tac-tx and save the 110 - 296 for the 44 mag.

I'm gonna give it a try and see what happens. I use blue dot for my 44. I like it a lot and it pushes the 180 xtp's fast with a full case. All good information though if I don't get the results out of the 125s I hope for

I use .308 Sierra 125 gr (#2120) with 21.5 gr of AA1680. I get consistent sub moa groups at 100 yds through a suppressor and steady ring a 2" steel at 200 yds through the suppressor. Muzzle velocities average around 2150 FPS.

I've reloaded 300 Blk for a while and I shoot the 125 SST in my 16" barrel AR. I do not have my load data in front of me at the moment but I run L'il Gun in mine. H110 and W296 are the same powder just rebranded and both have a faster burn rate than L'il Gun so you may pick up a little more velocity with the slower burn. My son has taken NC deer from a 180# 8pt at 20 yards to a 153# doe at a ranged 176 yards and the SST has performed fantastic with good internal damage and a golf ball size exit on every animal taken. I run L'il Gun in my 16" bolt gun behind the Barnes 110 Tac-tx and save the 110 - 296 for the 44 mag.

It's actually the opposite lil gun picks up speed over h110. That was my go to but lil gun had more speed.
You guys running Barnes are really missing out not trying the hammers. I like Barnes but hammers have replaced them for me cause I can drive them faster and they just perform better on game.

It's actually the opposite lil gun picks up speed over h110. That was my go to but lil gun had more speed.
You guys running Barnes are really missing out not trying the hammers. I like Barnes but hammers have replaced them for me cause I can drive them faster and they just perform better on game.
not on my guns. show us your data

Same burn rate as H110 according to some emails I've seen from Hodgdon reps. Haven't asked myself, but that's just what I've read. I've seen some load data that was listed as "H110/W296"... So, I'd do some research to verify.

Same propellant, different canister, according to my information; just like W760 and H414. Variation in burn rates will be due to variation in production lots.

That's what I meant, must not have come across that way but I obtain better speeds out of L'il Gun than with H110 / W296. The Barnes shoot .5 moa out as far as I would shoot at game so I can't see spending the extra money. I have thought about trying them in some others.

It's common knowledge that in the 300blk and .458 socom lil gun gets more speed. I'd have to go back and look at what I actually got for a gain but it was enough to only use h110 when in a pinch. It's good but lil gun is faster in all of my blk and my socom.
Re read your post I see now that's what you meant. Sorry. I stopped using anything over 100 gr in my blk even at the range cause .223 will always be cheaper to shoot for range fun and the raptors and hammers work so well on game I can't see going back. The raptors just reach a compressed load at around 20gr lol gun. The hammers being shorter should allow more room without compressed load which should mean more speed safer as compressed seems to spike quick and I hunt form - temps to very warm

It's common knowledge that in the 300blk and .458 socom lil gun gets more speed. I'd have to go back and look at what I actually got for a gain but it was enough to only use h110 when in a pinch. It's good but lil gun is faster in all of my blk and my socom.
Re read your post I see now that's what you meant. Sorry. I stopped using anything over 100 gr in my blk even at the range cause .223 will always be cheaper to shoot for range fun and the raptors and hammers work so well on game I can't see going back. The raptors just reach a compressed load at around 20gr lol gun. The hammers being shorter should allow more room without compressed load which should mean more speed safer as compressed seems to spike quick and I hunt form - temps to very warm
For my testing and preferences, it isn't just about "fast", it's about accuracy. My load stopping points had to do with accuracy falling below 1 MOA. I'm just not interested in any loads that won't consistently produce 1 MOA or better. My PWS barrel isn't much better than about 1/2 MOA anyway. I am tweaking the loads to get the best possible accuracy that my barrel can produce. Then I decide which of the powders that produced that level of accuracy produced the highest velocity. That powder becomes my favorite for that bullet. I then buy a box of a different bullet and start over. I'm a "Hobby Handloader" more than a "Hobby Shooter". Tweaking the cartridge for best accuracy at highest speed (in my gun) is my hobby. Some powders can reach a higher velocity for a particular case capacity, but when I am working up loads for speed I stop trying to get more speed when the accuracy falls off. I have found that I get a bit more speed from the H110 before the accuracy falls off, than I do with Lil'Gun. That's a recent discovery for me. Never tested H110 before last summer, and I have been doing this since 1970. (I was dissatisfied with the accuracy of factory ammo in my new Armalite AR-180). That's why I told you the make, model, twist, length, and muzzle brake that I am using. Your gun will not be the same as mine. Your chamber and throat will not be the same as mine. My COLs are what I have found to be most accurate in this particular gun. That 8-inch pistol gets whatever is accurate in the 16-inch gun, I only note the MOA spread and velocity with that pistol-length barrel because I feel like it, and I don't always feel like it. I have run the same routines for accuracy on the 8-inch but it just can't do better than about 2 MOA (Mid-State Barrel), so it just gets what the PWS 16.5" likes best. SOME powders that I have tried can't run the semi-auto action and produce a 1 MOA group at the same time (walk and chew gum challenged). Some powders simply aren't suited to the 300BLK. I've tried several other powders but the ones I listed are the only ones that I tried that would produce enough gas to operate the gun and also give me 1 MOA or better with enough velocity to expand the bullet in tissue. A few did all that too but the velocities were so low that I was concerned with having a bullet stuck in the barrel, and below a certain velocity the bullet isn't going to expand much on the target either, but I'm not testing for that although I am aware of it which is why I am usually looking for best speed at a certain minimum accuracy level. I do test subsonic loads though. In those I look for 1050 fps first then enough gas to run the action, and then accuracy at that speed. I did a bunch of testing with Trail Boss powder and really light and really heavy (225g) subsonic loads, but didn't feel that information was what anyone was looking for. It is possible to use Trail Boss and even produce a 62g 5.7x28mm cartridge that is subsonic and has enough recoil (barely) to operate a clean gun. Not really very useful for much of anything legal except armadillos digging up the wife's flowerbeds. 150g FMJ .308 bullets can be had for 6.3 cents a piece. I haven't found anything in .308 cheaper than that unless I buy pulled bullets from de-militarized government ammo. And THAT can be just 5 cents a bullet for 150g. Very cheap plinking/practice. I'm 71 years old, please forgive me if I ramble a bit about my hobby.

I get what your saying and yes all guns are different. I assume most load for accuracy then speed. I've been able to get same groups or better with more speed than h110 with lil gun.
It may have to do with bullet selection also. My 16" psa 300 blk upper held a .398 5 **** groups with lil gun. ****ed me off as it's hard to get some customs I have to shoot that well and this one is cheap.
The hammers seem to be very similar in helping aid the accuracy for most all powders. I think the drive bands on both help eliminate the jump sensitivity.
I was under the assumption that h110 was more temp stable also but have not noticed any major spikes at warmer weather.

I loaded it in my 7.5" blackout pistol and it shot great! My only problem was I could only get around 2000fps muzzle velocity. Thats marginal for expansion at any sort of range. H110 will be your friend. Keep them around 1900fps impact velocity if you want expansion.

To me its not a hunting round, but it will work and it doesn't have to have 2000 fps either. I shot a deer one day with a 1911 FMJ and dropped it at 30 yds. bullet went all the way through both shoulders and was layin under the skin, on opposite side.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.