300 WSM loading help

Mossbird8

I have a Kimber Montana 8400 300 WSM and is in the works into reloading. I currently have 165gr accubonds and Norma brass. What are your best loading data for that type of bullet for the best accuracy?

Have had best accuracy with H4350 and 168-185 weight bullets. Quality brass made a great difference for me. Good luck

Have had best accuracy with H4350 and 168-185 weight bullets. Quality brass made a great difference for me. Good luck
What is your overall length for those loads, and how much powder you usually starting out with? Just need somewhere to start out at. And I'm assuming cci primers.

I bought one of the first Kimber 300 WSM on the market. Located it in Missouri about 2004.
I know Melvin Forbes of NULA, He was given credit for the Montana's stock design,
And his rifles I had shot were accurate and did not kick like many other light rifles.
I set mine up as a light walking hunt rifle with a Leopold 2.5X8 scope and Nylon Sling.
I had to get my load off the internet not in loading books in 2004.
I loaded 150 gr. 165gr. and 180 gr. bullets went to 100 yd. range.
The 150 gr. shot 1 3/4' 165 gr shot 1 3/8" and the 180 gr. went in 9/16".
This rifle seems to only like 180 gr. bullets. Sierra, Hornady, and Nosler Part. shoot good in this rifle.
My first load was, Preped New Win. Brass, Winchester LRM, IMR 4350 65 gr. (Sixty Five.0) and 180 Gr Sierra Bullet. O.A.C,L 2.860.
Also Loaded Hornady Interlock and Nosler Part/ 180 gr. same load specs.
The Hornady 180gr. is my deer load.
The Nosler 180 gr. Partition for big game.
I have taken Elk, Caribou and Whitetail with these loads.
The Montana has about everything a person could want in a walking rifle.
Comp stock, Stainless Action and Barrel, The Action has Mauser claw extractor, Adjustable Sako firing pin and Win. 70 3 position Safety. The bolt is easy to remove the firing pin to clean and lube in bad weather. Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

Hornady, as you probably know, developed the "Superformance" ammunition using compressed loads of proprietary ball powers from St Marks in Florida. Hornady says that it blends several different burn rates of that powder and most are not available to the public. The one version that is available is called Superformance that comes from Hornady's 300 WSM ammunition. It goes zoom. Use the Hodgdon data and you will be amazed. I have a hard time keeping up with the .300 RUM, longer barrel 100gr of powder.

I've had several Kimbers in 300 WSM, the common load for accuracy and velocity has been Norma brass, Barnes TTSX 180's at 2950 - 3000, with CCI200 primers and RE17. This load has accounted for more animals and rocks than I can add up.

I sold my only 300WSM a few years ago and it was a lightweight but I found the recoil from the 180gr bullets to be objectionable but the 165's were the sweet spot anyway in that rifle and Varget was my powder of choice. I remember quite a few groups of 5/8" and less with that rifle and it killed like a lightning bolt. I only shot Nosler bullets in it and it seemed to like the Ballistic Tips, AccuBonds and Partitions equally as well with a slight accuracy edge to the Ballistic Tips.

Now I am using the kinder and gentler 300SAUM and 7mmSAUM chambered rifles and my shoulder is much happier and the game can't seem to tell the difference. ;)

Use 66-67 grains of RL17 with your 165s. You should see around 3200 fps with stellar accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.