300 WSM loading help

All 3 of the ones I've owned had one thing in common. Winchester LRM primers. Same with my 7WSM. No idea why, I never use this primer for anything else. You will find your load with this primer and RL17 or RL19.

HV100, RL17 & W760 all work well with 180 gr bullets. I read somewhere that Winchester used W760 when they were developing the cartridge.
With 180gr Accubonds, BT's or Partitions I use 65.0 gr of HV100. Getting 3025 fps
With the 200 gr ELDX, I'm using 62.8gr of RL17 at 2952 fps. All loads are 0.5 moa or less if I'm shooting well that day.

I've had my Browning A-bolt synthetic stainless stalker in 300 WSM since 2007. Like previous post mine loves the 180 grain bullets. I've loaded the Speer 180 gr boattail and the Hornady interlock 180 gr boattail. They both were loaded with 64.5 grains IMR 4350 and MV aroind 2809. Winchester brass, CCI 250 magnum primers. Both grouped at 5/8 consistently. I recently wanted to push the velocity closer to 3000 FPS so I just worked up a load with same brass and primers but went with RL17 and Hornady ELDX 178 gr. It ended up being 63.0 gr at 2966 MV grouping 1/2". I haven't had recoil issues. I put the sims recoil pad on the rifle when I bought it and can shoot it all day with a T-shirt on and not have any soreness. Rifle weighs in at 8.5 pounds with bipod attached. Very pleasant to shoot. Good luck with your new rifle. Killed deer and elk with these loads. Always start lower and work up don't assume these loads will be safe in your rifle.

H4895 pushing a 168gr Berger VLD. (Mine liked 57.8gr.)
This is an odd powder for this cartridge, but if you search, you will find others with extremely fine accuracy that found this as well. I hunted with H4350 and 165gr Sierra game kings for a couple of years, which always gave me sub moa .75 type groups in my rifle. However, I decided to see what real accuracy I could produce out of my rifle.
The load above was my final load that absolutely shocked me. My best 3 shot group was .18" and almost all retest of the load were .35 or better.

H4895 pushing a 168gr Berger VLD. (Mine liked 57.8gr.)
This is an odd powder for this cartridge, but if you search, you will find others with extremely fine accuracy that found this as well. I hunted with H4350 and 165gr Sierra game kings for a couple of years, which always gave me sub moa .75 type groups in my rifle. However, I decided to see what real accuracy I could produce out of my rifle.
The load above was my final load that absolutely shocked me. My best 3 shot group was .18" and almost all retest of the load were .35 or better.

Sometimes you just have to step out of the box.

The 300wsm seems to be a very easy cailber to load for. Havent had any need to go above the 180s accubonds for deer out to 650 either

I have two 300WMS Montana's both like h4350 and the 180 TTSX. Have killed 3 Idaho Bull elk with the one gun. Not sure of the COL but it took very little messing around to get them both to shoot sub moa groups, and the FPS is right around 3000. Using Norma brass and the Federal GM215 primers.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts