300 SAUM to 300 WSM ? Help!!!

Strick9

I have decided on the REM 700 P Ltr in 300 saum over the Sendero due to weight and length, now i have to find one!!, Then I would like to have it rechambered to 300 wsm because of ammo availablility and my experience and confidence in this caliber,, and then mount the NF nxs 5 -22 on it.. Is this rechambering feasible? Is it costly? and do you know a smith that can do it well? will I need 20 moa mounts or 0 and what mount would you recommend? Many Thanks!!

The rechambering is very feasible, I had it done to two Remingtons. It cost me $125 for the rechamber and recrown. The OAL needs to be set a .281 to fit in the magazine but that hasn't been a problem with accuracy.

Suggest you shoot the 300 SAUM before you rechamber. I had one and it shot 1/2 MOA with my handloads and 3/4 MOA with factory 165 gr. I say had, because a freind talked me into selling it to him. I have a custom 300 RUM or I would have kept the LTR. If you handload and it shoots as well as mine did, buy a couple of hundred brass and you should be set for a long time for hunting. If you don't handload, you will be spending some large $$$ on factory ammo. I don't think anything you shoot will be able to tell the difference between the 300 SAUM and the 300 WSM.

I agree but I have fallen in love with the 300wsm and it may be because the factory 180grn cxp3 have put down an elk at 340 yds a mule deer at 289 last month, and as of late 150 grn factory ballistic silvertips have laid the smackdown on two 8pts at around 100yd. Total yardage for four animals tracking ,, maybe 65.. I wish I had the time to reload but I hunt and scout way too much..:) I haven't even tried the scirroccos I hear they are even flatter and more accurrate.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.