300 WM load help

Switchback2

Hello guys new poster with this name lost my info on old login ,, Ok I just bought a Remington 700 Long Range 300 WM 26 inch barrel 10 twist,, getting Gun Smith to thread it and install break as soon as it shows up . Will be shooting a Can later on. My question is I never fooled with the 300 much other then hunting I have always shot a 338 Edge or 308 at steel which is about all I am setting this gun up now as. So I wanted to ask if anyone minded passing along some info on loads and bullets for 500- 1800 yds steel shooting, not real bad anywhere we shoot with Wind and cross wind like the guys Out West have to deal with. Thanks for any help or info Billy

Hello guys new poster with this name lost my info on old login ,, Ok I just bought a Remington 700 Long Range 300 WM 26 inch barrel 10 twist,, getting Gun Smith to thread it and install break as soon as it shows up . Will be shooting a Can later on. My question is I never fooled with the 300 much other then hunting I have always shot a 338 Edge or 308 at steel which is about all I am setting this gun up now as. So I wanted to ask if anyone minded passing along some info on loads and bullets for 500- 1800 yds steel shooting, not real bad anywhere we shoot with Wind and cross wind like the guys Out West have to deal with. Thanks for any help or info Billy

There it's a lot of info around here if you search, but in a nutshell it says buy a bunch of H1000, 215 grain Bergers, Fed 215s, and whatever brass you can find. Start at around 74 grains and work up to around 77 with the bullet seated at about .040 off the lands. This will get you exactly what you want.

Hey Billy,
Welcome to LRH, again! :) I was using a Hodgdon max load of Retumbo (81.0gn) to push the 208gn A-Max and 210gn Bergers. My velocity averaged 3075fps with Norma brass and CCI 250 primers. Accuracy ran right at .5MOA from 100-1500yds. I ended up running just the 208gn A-Max.
But.....being the reloader/tinkerer that I am, I couldn't stay with that forever, right? So now I'm using the 208gn ELD-M and 77.0gn of RL26 w/CCI BR2 (yes BR2's) and I switched to Hornady brass. This combo is averaging 3090fps and accuracy's still running .5" at 100yds. ES is 13 and SD is 7.23. Going to take this load out to 750yds this upcoming weekend for testing of the load/drops and the scope recently received BACK from Bushnell (Millett LRS-1) for the 2nd time.
I plan to take this load to a mile this summer if all holds together! JohnnyK.

Hey Billy,
Welcome to LRH, again! :) I was using a Hodgdon max load of Retumbo (81.0gn) to push the 208gn A-Max and 210gn Bergers. My velocity averaged 3075fps with Norma brass and CCI 250 primers. Accuracy ran right at .5MOA from 100-1500yds. I ended up running just the 208gn A-Max.
But.....being the reloader/tinkerer that I am, I couldn't stay with that forever, right? So now I'm using the 208gn ELD-M and 77.0gn of RL26 w/CCI BR2 (yes BR2's) and I switched to Hornady brass. This combo is averaging 3090fps and accuracy's still running .5" at 100yds. ES is 13 and SD is 7.23. Going to take this load out to 750yds this upcoming weekend for testing of the load/drops and the scope recently received BACK from Bushnell (Millett LRS-1) for the 2nd time.
I plan to take this load to a mile this summer if all holds together! JohnnyK.

How long is your 300WM barrel JohnnyK?

You're lucky to get north of 2900 fps with the 208 Amax's out of a 26" barrel. I load for 4 of them and accuracy nodes are usually in the 2850 range. You might be able to find a node at 3075 fps if you push a 300 RUM hard or use a 30-378. Or maybe a 36" barrel?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.