New Reloader -- Load Development/Recommendations, 300 WM

Before you try ANYONE else's load data, go the bullet maker reloading information/handbook and see what their recommendations are for their bullet to ensure a SAFE load. Once you have experience reloading AND with load development, THEN look at hotter loads, suggested recipes. EVERY rifle has it's quirks and differences.

I am using 190 Nosler custom comp projectiles. 75 grains 7828 SSC is, was a "node" with lottsa recoil. Can't get retumbo for some reason. If you have lots of powder, picking bullets can be fun. Berger prices are rumored to jump up....so get em soon.?

Jump up I gave my right leg for the last batch of 500 215 grain projectiles I orders
I am using 190 Nosler custom comp projectiles. 75 grains 7828 SSC is, was a "node" with lottsa recoil. Can't get retumbo for some reason. If you have lots of powder, picking bullets can be fun. Berger prices are rumored to jump up....so get em soon.?

I use this load in my Remington 700 Milspec, 24" 300 WM. Interestingly, the same powder charge produces sub .5MOA accuracy and low ES with Berger 210 HVLD's, Berger 215 Hybrids, and Hornady 200gr ELD-X. Work up this load starting a few grains less!
F8B8B75B-7317-4076-9F8A-F81EFBA2F2AC.jpeg

You have gotten excellent recommendations! "My" advice to a new reloader is to get the reloading manual of the bullet you are going to load "if" available, i.e., Berger, Hornady, Nosler, Sierra, etc., ... take your time and enjoy the reloading process and rewards.

[QUOTE="escottthompson, post: 1782798, member:
I agree with FEENIX. After "helping"my dad and a few of his buddies with their shotgun duck loads at at age 10 (1967), a year later I bought my my first deer rifle from one of the guys for $50. It came with about 100 rounds. The only loading data I received was for a single bullet type and weight, powder, and grains for a "great load" scribbled, from memory, on one the cartridge boxes. Not much information, but round was accurate and efficient on deer. But I learned how to load that 6.5X.257 Roberts on a converted WWII "Jap Arisaka" rifle. Have a great time with your journey. Fifty two years later and I'm still learning.

The 215 is a fantastic game killing bullet with hundreds of example in this forum. All you have to do is use the search function to find more positive examples with that bullet than you'll want to ready. I have been using it exclusively in 2 300wm's since it came out several years ago for antelope, elk, and deer. Only one critter did I ever shoot more than once with this bullet. It was the bull in my avatar at 639 yards. Punched him through the crease behind the shoulder taking out both lungs and the top of the heart. He spun and ran 20 yards then stopped so I punched him again hitting 4 inches from the first shot and dropped him. It's actually better than the hunting VLD's for up close shots as it has a slightly thicker jacket and tends to hold together better.
All that said, if you're hunting from 50 to 500 yards max there's really not much benefit for you to use a VLD bullet. You'd be better served using something like a standard Accubond, or similarly constructed bullet. 500 to 1,000 and beyond are where VLD bullets start to shine.

Now, is the Hybrid considered a VLD bullet, or are you still recommending the Hybrid for my purposes/range? What are the thoughts on a 200gr Nosler Partition?

Also, shot placement with the Hybrid. Is it shoulder crease at all ranges, or is direct shoulder recommended at further/closer ranges?

Now, is the Hybrid considered a VLD bullet, or are you still recommending the Hybrid for my purposes/range? What are the thoughts on a 200gr Nosler Partition?

Also, shot placement with the Hybrid. Is it shoulder crease at all ranges, or is direct shoulder recommended at further/closer ranges?
The Hybrid is a VLD type bullet as is the Accubond Long Range and the Hornady ELD line of bullets. I think the regular Accubond or the Partition would both be excellent choices for 500 yards or less. They both have decades of positive performance on killing game, even dangerous game on multiple continents. Best of luck to you friend.

I'm not a shoulder, or high shoulder shooter. I have always followed what my father and grandfather taught me over 40 years ago and that is to shoot for the crease. It gives you the biggest target (kill zone) so you have margin for error whether that's missing the wind call, the distance, or the animal moving as you break the trigger.
There are some people who really like the dramatic Drop Right There high shoulder shot but it's just too marginal for me and I don't like to waste the meat. On an elk there's quite a bit of meat, nice roasts, or burger meat in the front quarters. There have been many animals knocked down with that shot that then got up and got away because the hit too high or too low and missed the spine. I've never lost and animal that was hit through both lungs or the heart...

Last edited:
The Hybrid is a VLD type bullet as is the Accubond Long Range and the Hornady ELD line of bullets. I think the regular Accubond or the Partition would both be excellent choices for 500 yards or less. They both have decades of positive performance on killing game, even dangerous game on multiple continents. Best of luck to you friend.

I'm not a shoulder, or high shoulder shooter. I have always followed what my father and grandfather taught me over 40 years ago and that is to shoot for the crease. It gives you the biggest target (kill zone) so you have margin for error whether that's missing the wind call, the distance, or the animal moving as you break the trigger.
There are some people who really like the dramatic Drop Right There high shoulder shot but it's just too marginal for me and I don't like to waste the meat. On an elk there's quite a bit of meat, nice roasts, or burger meat in the front quarters. There have been many animals knocked down with that shot that then got up and got away because the hit too high or too low and missed the spine. I've never lost and animal that was hit through both lungs or the heart...

Ok, I may take a look at the Accubond as well. I've been reading a bunch online, and it seems as if a lot of people like the Hybrid. I'm just concerned, because I'm not a dedicated long range hunter and I'm just pondering whether the Hybrid is more directed at long-range shots? I'm more concerned with the bullet performance at close range <100 versus further?

Ok, I may take a look at the Accubond as well. I've been reading a bunch online, and it seems as if a lot of people like the Hybrid. I'm just concerned, because I'm not a dedicated long range hunter and I'm just pondering whether the Hybrid is more directed at long-range shots? I'm more concerned with the bullet performance at close range <100 versus further?
You're on the right track. There is no real benefit for you to go with a cup and core, VLD bullet if you're shooting under 500 yards. Those bullets were designed to expand and perform at the lower velocities seen at extended distances. They are not designed for ideal performance at ranges under 500 yards. The Nosler Partition was a renowned game killer for decades. The Nosler Accubond was an improvement on the partition with the lead core bonded to the copper jacket, a better bc due to the polymer tip and boattail design. If I'm hunting under 500 yards the Accubond is my first choice.

You're on the right track. There is no real benefit for you to go with a cup and core, VLD bullet if you're shooting under 500 yards. Those bullets were designed to expand and perform at the lower velocities seen at extended distances. They are not designed for ideal performance at ranges under 500 yards. The Nosler Partition was a renowned game killer for decades. The Nosler Accubond was an improvement on the partition with the lead core bonded to the copper jacket, a better bc due to the polymer tip and boattail design. If I'm hunting under 500 yards the Accubond is my first choice.

The accubond is sounding more consistent with my needs. Is the 200g Accubond a good weight for the 1:8 twist I have? I've heard some less than satisfactory things about the Accubond LR, so primarily considering the standard Accubond.

The accubond is sounding more consistent with my needs. Is the 200g Accubond a good weight for the 1:8 twist I have? I've heard some less than satisfactory things about the Accubond LR, so primarily considering the standard Accubond.

It's very hard to go wrong with either the Accubond or Interbond. My preference is for the Hornady Interbond for terminal ballistics but either will do the job quite well.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.