New Reloader -- Load Development/Recommendations, 300 WM

Brydawg512

Hello all,

I'm about to purchase a Browning X-Bolt Stalker Long Range in 300WM, 1:8 twist. Additionally, I am planning to start my reloading journey. I would like the load to be capable of shots 0-600 yards on game animals (elk, black bear and muley), as well as some steel shooting around 1,000, eventually.

What are some load recommendations? Bullet and grain? Powder? Primers/Brass?

Thanks in advance!

Hello all,

I'm about to purchase a Browning X-Bolt Stalker Long Range in 300WM, 1:8 twist. Additionally, I am planning to start my reloading journey. I would like the load to be capable of shots 0-600 yards on game animals (elk, black bear and muley), as well as some steel shooting around 1,000, eventually.

Thanks in advance!

512, 210 or 215 Bergers with H1000 has great accuracy along with 215M primers. It's becoming a bit difficult to find quality brass for this cartridge. Loaded some for the neighbor using Remington brass, but a lot of prep time with the brass. Good luck

215 or even the 230 Berger. With 8 twist u can easy go to the 230.
210 accubond is another good one. pick ur pill on cup and core vs bonded. Either will kill with that weight

powder wise as mentioned above
H1000, RL26, rl33, retumbo, n570,

Finding powder can be difficult. Go to a place and back order.

Good luck. Precision is in the details and being very repeatable in what ur doing. My advice is find a couple people who has done it a long time and go watch there process.
Oh. Buy really good brass in the beginning and save ur self some headache.

last thought. Not sure how long you been doing it being a new reloader and how much you have invested but reloading is fun, pain in the butt and very expensive. If all ur going to do is shoot 600 yards and just hunt with you might want to consider some high end production ammo or find a friend who reloads and use there equipment. A case of beer or a bottle of liquor with a good conversation is a lot cheaper than the cost of reloading. At least until u really find out if u like it.

Hello all,

Thanks in advance!

You have gotten excellent recommendations! "My" advice to a new reloader is to get the reloading manual of the bullet you are going to load "if" available, i.e., Berger, Hornady, Nosler, Sierra, etc., ... take your time and enjoy the reloading process and rewards.

I think for what you are asking and being new to reloading.
Your easiest way will be to start with hammer Bullets. I run the 181 hammer hunters. They are not very seating depth sensitive so that's one less thing to mess with and they are phenomenal on game. Especially at the distance you are wanting.

600 yard game. 180g Noslers, pick one. 75.5g of R#22, fed 215 primer, 3100 fps in a 26" barrel. R#23 is less temp sensitive, start a tad lower and work up.

If you start shooting steel, chances are you need to go ahead and order a barrel right now.

600 is a chip shot with a 300 WM and 180's. Regular 180g ballistic tips will work on deer and bear. Go the accubond on the elk.

One thing you can count on, the 215's and the 230's have a real thump on recoil, with any bullet, a good muzzle break should be on the menu!

Hello all,

Thanks in advance!
Are you sure this comes in a 1:8 twist. I haven't seen that in a 300WM. 1:9 would be about as fast as you'd need if you were shooting at sea level for the 215's

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts