Help 300 Win Mag load

I have been drawn for Elk first rifle season in Colorado and I have a new Browning rifle in 300 Win Mag with a 26 in barrel and a 1-8 twist. I used to load 180 Nosler Partitions for older gun with a 1-10 twist but cannot find any. I have been trying but bullet selection is scarce or limited as most know. I found some 205 Berger Elite but I cannot find any loading data for them Any suggestion? I am open to anything as I am gathering up what ever I can find. I have also got some 212 Eldx and seems you can get 200 Accubonds but have not ordered them yet. I have been reloading for a number of years but I am reading and learning.
If you want 180 gr Nosler Partitions I have a full unopened box that I would trade for .270 WIN 130 gr Sierra SPT or you can buy direct from me for $65.00 plus shipping. text 608-215-8380 if interested.

My recommendation would be the 180 grain Hammers. They are readily available, made for 1-10 twist rate, easy to load for and generally shoot great. 79 Grains of H-1000 is what I am shooting in my 300 and they shoot 1/2" groups. No signs of pressure in my rifle. You will want to start a little lower than that and work you r way up. It was the first load I tried and I hit pay dirt.
Good luck and make sure you post pictures of your successful hunt.......

My recommendation would be the 180 grain Hammers. They are readily available, made for 1-10 twist rate, easy to load for and generally shoot great. 79 Grains of H-1000 is what I am shooting in my 300 and they shoot 1/2" groups. No signs of pressure in my rifle. You will want to start a little lower than that and work you r way up. It was the first load I tried and I hit pay dirt.
Good luck and make sure you post pictures of your successful hunt.......
What kind of velocity are you getting?.. I thought I was high at 78.4 gn! 😂 (Tho I'm shooting 215 Berger's)

What kind of velocity are you getting?.. I thought I was high at 78.4 gn! 😂 (Tho I'm shooting 215 Berger's)
Honestly I am not sure. I just had the gun put together a couple of months ago and started working on the loads. I found this load on another website and decided to try it. Our weather here in Western Montana has been horrible every weekend for the past two months so I have not been to the range with the chrono yet. I have about thirty rounds down the barrel with this load after the break-in and it just shoots fantastic. I am showing no signs of pressure at all. I am using Lapua Brass, Fed 215M Primers. If we ever get a weekend without rain and high winds I will break out the chrono and let you know. Based on load data I have found for the 175/180 grain bullet and 79.0 grains of H-1000 I should be around 3050 fps with a 24" barrel. The Nosler manual online shows 81.0 as being Max for this bullet weight and powder combination.

Cool - thanks for the reply! Definitely interested to hear, and I don't doubt the speed. I'm around 2950-2960 with the 215's out of a 24" at 78.4. Barrel's still speeding up tho so we'll see if it starts bumping into the pressure category…

I have the Browning XBolt with the 26 inch barrel and have had great accuracy with both the 205 Bergers and the 200 ELDX. H1000 and H4831SC seem to be the ticket. I started with load data for the 215 Berger and went from there.

Cool - thanks for the reply! Definitely interested to hear, and I don't doubt the speed. I'm around 2950-2960 with the 215's out of a 24" at 78.4. Barrel's still speeding up tho so we'll see if it starts bumping into the pressure category…
OP-What powders you have?

What powder/case you using with this?

I ask because I was getting those velocities with N570 and Norma cases, but they were getting soft in the pockets after a few firings.
ADG cases went far faster with less powder and velocity.

H1000 was about 100 FPS slower.

I have recently been turned onto Staball 6.5 by Just Jon and the 152 Hammer....wow

OP-What powders you have?

What powder/case you using with this?

I ask because I was getting those velocities with N570 and Norma cases, but they were getting soft in the pockets after a few firings.
ADG cases went far faster with less powder and velocity.

H1000 was about 100 FPS slower.

I have recently been turned onto Staball 6.5 by Just Jon and the 152 Hammer....wow
I'm using ADG brass and H1000 with this combo. I actually have some loaded to 78.5 and 78.6 to see where we end up... On 3 barrels so far, the sweet spot for me has been in that 2960 - 2980 range. This current barrel is a 24" Bartlein Carbon. No bolt stick, but you can certainly see that's it's not a light load on the head stamp. I'm also in south FL, so all of my load development is at least 80 degrees outside.

I really wanted N570 to work - especially when I saw 3100 (I kid you not) out of the Lab-radar. The problem was how compressed the load was which led to extremely inconsistent burn and an absolute crazy high SD.

I keep seeing people mention Hammer bullets, and admittedly I am just plain unfamiliar with them. What kind of speeds are you getting - it would be interesting to run a dope chart comparison. I really like the 215's as I feel they've treated me right. Took a 15 lb chassis 300 win mag shooting 215's @ 2970 out to a mile on a 12" plate. First shot was a dope correction, second was a wind correction, 3rd was impact. I feel they just fly extremely consistently.

Ok. Thank you both for responding. I have the Hornady manual and will look. I have also downloaded some info on Nosler website for 200 gr. I have some 200 gr speer bullets a box of Nosler partition 200 and I found some 212 Eldx also and current powder is 4831, 7828, and Both 4350 s. I will be gone for a couple weeks and will get started when I get back. The Bergers should be here then. I live rural so just about have to order everything no local suppliers so as I find anything I either buy or order it. Way too much stuff but want something that will work. I did not know that the powder websites had load data. I am learning every day. Thanks again.
7828 SSC, 212 ELDX.

Sorry OP, can't pm nuclearmonkey yet.

If you use the search function, you can find a good but if info on Hammers.

I too am a 215 fan, but you can't shoot what you can't buy.

Hammers are always available.

They have a few lines and if a savvy reloader, their Absolute Hammer
line gets impressive velocities but BC isn't as high.
Load dev is super easy.
I have a load for every rifle I own and some several. They are a mono bullet which will
not compete with the 215 but for a 300 wm with anything you load, should get you killing velocity beyond 700 yards.

The 181gr Hunter is loaded to 2990 fps with H1000.
152 Hammer with H4831sc is 3148 fps. Just worked this up with Staball 6.5 and it will probably be in the 3250 ish range but need to chrono.
The 178gr Absolute Hammer went
3312 fps with 76gr and 3347 fps with 77gr with Rl16. Dropped it down to 74gr so brass lasts a little longer.

Those are flying! Great info - really appreciate it! You make a good point about the need to find alternative options. Will definitely start doing some homework on them. Very curious to see what their terminal performance looks like. Of curiosity, do you find their BC stays consistent thru transonic?

@Wanashoot:
Not sure of your expected range but 30 cal heavies are hard to find as everyone knows. Your 1:8 does provide a lot more options for to consider.

Bullets I would try to find to fill your needs:
200AB - elk killer! Grab them if you can!
180AB
200Partition still reliable for decent range
181HH
180HH
196HH - I use this in my 300WM with RL26 to get 3150 and 1/2MOA Sendero 26" 1:10tw
199HH
200ELDX seem available and fly better in 1:8tw
212ELDX

Everyone has their pet bullet and load, find a bullet you can get that will fly in 1:8tw, I have found most heavies fly well in 1:8tw so available is critical to be prepared for a upcoming hunt.

Recommend 200AB or Hammers to get you going for hunt. You can find them and shoot.

Those are flying! Great info - really appreciate it! You make a good point about the need to find alternative options. Will definitely start doing some homework on them. Very curious to see what their terminal performance looks like. Of curiosity, do you find their BC stays consistent thru transonic?
No experience that long. Here in Virginia,
Muzzleloaders are long range…

Recent Posts