30 Nosler vs 300 Win Mag

Guinness

Greetings,

I have lots to learn but I'm jumping in with both feet in that I'm having a rifle built and will begin reloading when it's completed.

I was planning on a 300 Win Mag but am considering a 30 Nosler if my gunsmith gets the reamer before it's time to chamber my rifle. With that said, I have several questions.

I can find a set of dies for the 300 WM easily but have not found one die set for 30 Nosler available at this time. Does anyone have knowledge of, or an idea of, when 30 Nosler dies will become available?

Any thoughts on 30 Nosler brass availability in the near term? I see that it's backordered in a few locations but I hardly know an exhaustive number of places to search. Any current suggestions about where to look? Will I be living a life of expensive & hard to find brass with this cartridge?

I have H1000 powder on hand and want to buy a couple more products but don't know the best direction(s) to step. Are there other powders that would work with both cartridges listed so I can make some progress regardless of chambering?

Further, I am interested in any general thoughts (compare/contrast) you all might have about these two cartridges as the search function has left me wishing for more direct comparison information. Frankly, it's probably a consideration of the 30 Nosler only being on the scene for a couple months.

If there's anything else you think I'm missing or should consider please let me know as I'm interested to learn and lean on your collective knowledge to make the "best" decisions as I move forward.

Thanks in advance for any & all replies.

G

After searching a few vendors but ultimately overlooking Midway, I must admit I feel a bit foolish seeing the options available. Thank you for your reply.

G

Last edited:
When in doubt.... MidWay USA....
May or may not be the cheapest, but seem to always have what I need...
Kinda like NAPA Auto parts...

I must admit I don't have a 30 nosler and even though I like new rounds it's bad for me to find the value in it. Seems the 30 nosler with factory ammo is pushing a 180gr at 3200 (nosler ammo) and a quick glance at hornady shows 300 win mag at 3130 fps with a 180gr. Now I'm not sure if hand loading will be the big factor in ore speed or not. Just seems like a 300 win is the better choice. Brass everywhere, especially from lapua. Not to mention ammo availability. If you are going to be hunting with this gun that is something to think about. I have yet to experience forgetting or losing any of my hand loads while on a trip but have seen it many times. I al aye carry a backup rifle that is a standard easy to find caliber. With the 300 you are set every store sells it. Plus multiple manufacturers are available so chances are on factory load will shoot really well out of it. Not something that will happen soon with the 30. If we were talking 200plus fps than I'd be for it much like a Weatherby chambering. Extra speed is worth some of the negative stuff. But these seems very close from a quick search of ammo.
On a side note I'm really hoping the new hornady eldx ammo shoots well out of my 300 win build as a nice factory ammo alternative. Good luck with your build and fill us in

It looks like the .30 Nosler is going to be quite the cartridge when looking at all the paper work, articles and video clips. However the .300 wm has a 40 year or head start. I don't see why people are having any trouble finding dies, bullets, powder brass or anything for the old warhorse .300wm, my local little gun shop has all you want right off the shelf. I like the .30 Nosler but there's no way I'd walk out of the store with one unless I have at least 200 pieces of brass, my personal new rule for myself. It'll be interesting seeing them show up this spring/summer at local ranges, can't wait to see chrony numbers, group sizes etc.....might be worth a look for a one gun take all...sell everything else, buy a great scope, one rifle and make it simple !!

One disadvantage that I saw with the 30 Nosler is that Nosler shortened the dimension from the cartridge base to shoulder, making it difficult to near impossible to use Nosler 26 or 28 brass. As long as 30 Nosler brass is available, it shouldn't be a problem, but if the supply dries up, your choices are very limited.

One disadvantage that I saw with the 30 Nosler is that Nosler shortened the dimension from the cartridge base to shoulder, making it difficult to near impossible to use Nosler 26 or 28 brass. As long as 30 Nosler brass is available, it shouldn't be a problem, but if the supply dries up, your choices are very limited.

The difference is only about .052". You might push the shoulder back that far with a standard 30 Nosler resize die.

I think the nosler will work better with the heavier for cal. bullets than the 300 especially if the throat is set up for them. It will be interesting to see how it handles the 210-230gr pills. I don't think brass is going to be much of a problem with nosler they stock a few older/hard to find cases and now that norma is making Norma headstamp 26 brass it's only a matter of time before they make 30.

When in doubt.... MidWay USA....
May or may not be the cheapest, but seem to always have what I need...
Kinda like NAPA Auto parts...

Not disagreeing. But midsouth shooters is also not to be over looked. I'd buy as much from them as midway except I love in TN and don't like sales tax

I think the nosler will work better with the heavier for cal. bullets than the 300 especially if the throat is set up for them. It will be interesting to see how it handles the 210-230gr pills. I don't think brass is going to be much of a problem with nosler they stock a few older/hard to find cases and now that norma is making Norma headstamp 26 brass it's only a matter of time before they make 30.

Since the 30 Nosler was the Shot Show announcement for this year ammo and brass should be on shelf soon, long before hunting season. March and plenty of dies available.

I have 277/26-Nosler, 284/26-Nosler, 308/26-Nosler and 338/26-Nosler rifles completed and test loads made, shot and measured.

My first reamer in this category was a 338/26-Nosler. Then I purchased the SAAMI spec reamers for 27, 28, 30. I had all the chambers cut to the same go gauge so I could use 26 Nosler brass.

I have and have had plenty of "belted" magnums, though all Weatherby at the moment.

That is background for and support for my views and opinions.

Opinion: You can't go wrong with a 300WM. It is well understood how to load for it and it shoots.
View: belted magnums are a PIA. Yes you can treat the fire formed brass the same as a non belted design but you always have to remember the belt and the area just ahead of the belt.
Fact: The 30 Nosler has longer neck and more capacity. Most agree that both are desirable in the class of chambering you are looking at.
Fact: The 30 Nosler will be 200fps faster or more at same pressure.
View: A 26 or longer barrel is desirable.

The heaviest bullet I have data on are Berger 210's @ 3050 fps from a 24" barrel. I sent 180 CEB MTH at 3250 easy.

If it were me, I would go with a 30-Nosler but run it in with a 26/28-Nosler go gauge.

Anyone wanna bet the 27 Nosler is next years announcement?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.