.300 win mag - Accubond vs. Ballistic Tips

jpfrog

Hi all- a few months back I decided to get back into the 300 win mag game after being out of it for a couple of years. I went the super cheap route by cashing in some big box store reward points plus another $7 and change out of my pocket and picked up a factory new Remington 700 Long Range, then I spent some cash I probably shouldn't have spent on a Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50. I also swapped the trigger for a Timney and swapped the stock for an HS, as I like the way they setup a bit better for me. Now I'm ready to work up a load, finally.

I have previous experience with the 180 AB and like it a lot, which is good because I have about 150 of them in my reloading closet. I also have 250 of the 180 grain Ballistic Tips. Nosler lists them as having the same BC- I believe the BT is slightly shorter than the AB, though, which doesn't make sense to me if they have the same weight...how could they possibly have the same BC?

Anyway- I've never used the BT in any application, but I hear they can be explosive on game and so I'm thinking that if I keep them, I should limit their use to range practice only as I don't like to ruin meat. So, should I try to sell/trade these and get some more Accubonds, or should I load the BTs up with the same load (Nosler brass, Fed 215, H1000) as I use for the ABs? I want to work up ONE load for this for the time being so I have enough time to dial it in before the fall (my range time between now and then will be very limited), so I'm not super interested in developing a load for the AB and the BT if they are going to be noticeably different. I'm leaning towards listing the Ballistic Tips for sale/trade...

Thoughts?

I personally have not used the Ballistic tips in a 300 mag, but I have used the 168 ballistic tips in a .308, I took a cow elk and a bull moose. They were going 2675 at the muzzle, both shots were under 150 yards. The elk took about 2 steps and was dead, broadside shot and an exit about 1" diameter, this was at about 70 yards in the timber. Entered through the shoulder, exited just behind.

The bull moose I shot was at 148 yards, first shot through the shoulder, into the heart, and exited same place on off side with similar results (1" exit) moose took 3 steps and went down, then lifted his front end up, and I put another insurance shot through the shoulder, entered about 1.5" above first shot, through lungs, exited the body cavity on off shoulder just in front of where it entered and was perfectly mushroomed under the hide. This one dropped the animal down.

At the velocity I was shooting them, they performed perfectly. You would probably be shooting the 180 at 3050 fps or more, if your close put your shot behind the shoulder and I guarantee it would work, probably with minimal meat loss. If you go through the shoulder, I still wouldn't worry about penetration, but you may loose some more meat. If your shot is beyond probably 350-400 yards, you could put it through the shoulder with no issue, imo.

My meat loss was very little on both my elk and moose, and considering I had waited 10 years for my moose tag, I was concerned about getting as much meat as possible. I would recommend the ballistic tips, mainly since you have more and could practice more with them. But the AB would work just fine too, I'm sure, if you could get your ballistic tips traded for some AB's.

But if meat conservation is the main point, one of the worst things for bloodshot is high velocity, something hard to avoid at close range with a 180 in a 300 mag. Either one, at close range I would try to put it behind the shoulder. If you can stretch your shots out, you would probably be happier.

I've had excellent results with ballistic tips in several calibers and velocities. The key is to avoid marginal, angled shots and shots that require breaking large bones .

If Nosler would make heavier ballistic tips with a higher BC I would use them exclusively. Accubonds are also a high quality bullet that will offer more penetration and break heavy bone more reliably.

I've used the bt and ab interchangeably in a few rifles... My current 7stw uses the 140 bt's at the range and the 140 ab's if we are after meat... They both shoot to 1" or less at 200 yards... I did the same thing on my last two 7stw barrels... My 270 doesn't care a bit between the 130 ab and 130 bt either...
I believe my brother has done the same thing in a couple of 30 cal rifles...

morning, Accubonds is the way to go. u use 180grs. I use the 165grs.

I use 78.5grs. of MRP, Winchester brass, 215feds. been using this load for years.

never had a run away. use this load for 165, 180 and 200grs.

back off .6grs on the 200's little sticky. THK. U lightbulb:)gun)

I shot the 180 NBT about 10 years on deer and antelope DRTs without any issues and with minimal meat damage; worst was probably 3 broken ribs on antelope but hardly any waste.

On elk size game however, I would go with the NAB. Before switching to Berger 200 NAB was my go to bullet of choice from antelope to elk size game.

Good luck!

I have shot a bunch of critters from coues deer to elk and everything in between with the 180 Nosler BT out of 300 WM. They don't blow up or do any excess meat damage. They generally shed 50% of their weight, core separated from jacket and will stop on off side under the hide. Great all around bullet.

I've shot a couple of deer and elk with accubonds, one exploded on a deers spine just found pieces no exit, another passed through an elk at 500yards with small exit, it appeared the bullet didn't expand much but di it's job.

Both are good bullets and will work fine. I prefer the BT just cause they shoot the same, and cost less and perform on game.

Thanks all- I think I'll probably work up a load with the AB as originally intended, and then drop a few BTs in there to see how they do with the AB load. If they work, I'll keep them for range use and if not, I'll find another purpose for them or see if I can swap them for ABs.

I have shot a bunch of critters from coues deer to elk and everything in between with the 180 Nosler BT out of 300 WM. They don't blow up or do any excess meat damage. They generally shed 50% of their weight, core separated from jacket and will stop on off side under the hide. Great all around bullet.

I've shot a couple of deer and elk with accubonds, one exploded on a deers spine just found pieces no exit, another passed through an elk at 500yards with small exit, it appeared the bullet didn't expand much but di it's job.

Both are good bullets and will work fine. I prefer the BT just cause they shoot the same, and cost less and perform on game.

In the old days the BT's were bombs but not anymore with some at least. I used the 180 back when it can in the red box & called Solid Base BT, they were quite soft and very fast killers for Deer, messy at times. They are just not the same anymore, I believe half of the weight for the 168 & 180 BT is the jacket now & I have seen the changes and one guy who is in the know says the current 180 is in the third generation. I know it is pretty tough now. My 300WM Sendero likes the180 Accubond OK and one Elk has been taken with that bullet but now I feel if I need a tougher bullet than the new BT I would just go with the LRX.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts