300 win mag 215 bergers vs 190 gr

I didn't get to try much of anything, unfortunately. Like I said, ran into rifle problems. I have a 325 wsm and an 8mm remington magnum, but I havent been able to get any 200 gr accubonds for over 8 months. So I bought this rifle as a backup/target practice rifle.

What brass are you guys running, I purchased some winchester brass and had 10 out of 50 pieces bad out of the bag. Could be part of my accuracy problem. Also under the trigger guard assembly there's 2 plastic spacers, witch I haven't seen before. I don't see how I can keep an accurate torque on the stock.
I tried 3 shots of h1000 at 75 gr at .030 and .040 off the lands. Still 4-5" groups

You could try Sig Sauer brass I know some earlier lots where very consistent but there was a guy a couple weeks ago that had a bad lot so it's tough to say if he just got a bad lot or quality of the newer stuff went down.

Norma is very good in consistency but seems a tad soft and only last 5 firings or so.

With 4-5" groups I would start with bedding the rifle and or doing some mods to it. My bad groups while doing load work up where still under 2"

You could try Sig Sauer brass I know some earlier lots where very consistent but there was a guy a couple weeks ago that had a bad lot so it's tough to say if he just got a bad lot or quality of the newer stuff went down.

Norma is very good in consistency but seems a tad soft and only last 5 firings or so.

With 4-5" groups I would start with bedding the rifle and or doing some mods to it. My bad groups while doing load work up where still under 2"
Almost all of my guns using Berger bullets will shoot less than two in during load work up, that's why I think it's something else the most likely culprit is the stock I got the trigger down to 2 pounds I'm at work on the stock next Remington still hasn't sent me my label to return the gun so I might as well play with it until I have to send it back

I'm using Nosler brass in mine. I don't shoot it a lot so I don't know how long it will last. But after two loadings the primer pockets are still nice and tight. I agree on bedding it. Can totally change how the rifle shoots. Maybe I got lucky during my load development, but nothing shot over a inch from 75 gr up to where I stopped at 79 gr of H1000. Gun is full custom with a longer throat so please don't go up to this load.

I rebarreled my rem 700 with a mcree precision and it have come up with good loads for both the 215 berger and 208 AMAX. Using H4831 powder. The 215s consistently shot 5 shot groups under 1MOA at 300 yds. I only went with the 208s because the 215s where around 3.7" when they were touching the rifling and wouldnt fit in the mag. Someone else mentioned it, but definately do the seating depth test, and you should find a winner with one of the bullets.

I'm the guy that had a bad lot of Sig brass in 300 win mag. That aside, I did start my load Development for the 215. I had to neck turn to 0.012" to get and concentricity.

With the non fire formed brass I started at 72 grains and worked up to 77 grains. 75-77 is compressed. I haven't shot them yet but I'm expecting pressure signs before the 77 so I might not even shoot them. They are loaded at .04" from the lands OAL is 3.55 So in My gun the bullet hits the lands at approx 3.59 OAL. That's +- .003 for variance in bullet length. The next ones I will test at .02" jump to increase case capacity slightly.

So while I'm waiting on it to be repaired I was hoping I could find pros and cons between the 215 and 190 gr bergers. I have a kodiak bear hunt coming up in 2019 and I want this rifle spot on.

Bergers are great bullets for many things but personally if I'm hunting Kodiak bear then there would be something else in the magazine.

Bergers are great bullets for many things but personally if I'm hunting Kodiak bear then there would be something else in the magazine.
Ohhh trust me there will be. But it's a new toy and I wanted to stretch the legs on this thing. I'll work up another load for kodiak.

215 over the other Berger all day if you want to shoot long . They hammer out of my 9
twist Bartlein . Guys run a 10 twist , but 9 lets you run a lighter load and maintain
BC especially if you intend to shoot anywhere near transonic speeds in worst case
atmo conditions .

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.