New 300 Win Mag with 215 Bergers

Kevin87

I just bought a CA Ridgeline in 300 win mag and want to run the 215 Bergers. I have lots of H1000, but where is a good place to start? I've read 75 grains is a good place with a node around 77. Being a stock rifle, what do you think is a realistic starting point without wasting bullets in the lower velocities?

It depends on your COAL.
If you're loading it longer than 3.340 then start at 76.
Keep in mind you're also breaking in a new gun / brass. Would be a great time to determine seating depth.

It depends on your COAL.
Keep in mind you're also breaking in a new gun / brass. Would be a great time to determine seating depth.

Approach with caution. I'm loading way longer than 3.34 and 76 is max in mine , 77 leaves a serious ejector mark and swipe. I recommend starting at 73 .

Not really what you asked but Retumbo is good for speed. I only mention this because I am working with a friends Browning Hells Canyon Long Range And Retumbo produces better velocity. That is with the 212 ELDX's from Hornady.

It depends on your COAL.
Never had a tight bore, tight chamber, heavy brass, hot lot of powder, etc.? I have loaded a lot of .300WMs, and 76.0 is max in more than a few.

Never had a tight bore, tight chamber, heavy brass, hot lot of powder, etc.? I have loaded a lot of .300WMs, and 76.0 is max in more than a few.

As long as you're throwing a bunch of unlikely things, lets add a bad scale, bad calipers, or mislabeled powder.
Assuming the OP is using virgin brass, it'll be 2-3 firings before it's fully chamber sized. Hard to get over pressure when brass is heavily undersized.
I'll agree with brass manufacturer case volumes, so let me update my previous comment. Start at 75gr if your using adg, rws, or any other smaller case volume brass.
Starting at 73 gr will waste brass, powder, primers, bullets, and barrel life.
Just my opinion.

It depends on your COAL.

This is absolutely horrible advise. H powders including H1000 have huge lot to lot swings. Some 300 win mags will top out below 76 grains loaded at 3.7" with some lots of powders even in the most capacious brass which is Norma/Nosler.

As long as you're throwing a bunch of unlikely things, lets add a bad scale, bad calipers, or mislabeled powder.
Assuming the OP is using virgin brass, it'll be 2-3 firings before it's fully chamber sized. Hard to get over pressure when brass is heavily undersized.
I'll agree with brass manufacturer case volumes, so let me update my previous comment. Start at 75gr if your using adg, rws, or any other smaller case volume brass.
Starting at 73 gr will waste brass, powder, primers, bullets, and barrel life.
Just my opinion.
All you need to do is run a pressure ladder test starting low to see where your guns going to run. I've seen a good number even loaded longer in like a Rem Long Range max out by 76 he and the sweet spot was 74.5. Then I've seen some run to 79, but you don't start where you want to end up!!

I always load about a 10 round pressure ladder on the 300 after a little break in and messing around getting sighted in with a low load I'll run it with a chronograph, often I'll find my pressure range and have a good idea where the nodes are. And I'm dialed in on my load in under 30 rounds.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.