Nosler 300 Win Mag brass, very unimpressed!!!!!

" I will be shooting them tomorrow and will post the accuracy of these rounds. Have you ever loaded any of the Nosler right out of the box? I will see tomorrow how they preform but the box I got is very uniform in all respects."

Good question, but no, I've never even though of loading new brass without sizing it first. Even so, I doubt you will find any major difference in groups from new brass, unsized vs. sized. Enjoy your shooting and don't sweat such small things, they are rarely significant on a target! :)

Yes!! I think you are right about that but it will be interesting anyway just to see what happens.

I also am unimpressed with the noslers, the lot of 270 cases I have from them, were pretty consistant, but the loads I used to fireform them to 6.5 Gibbs had to be greatly reduced below what I use for win or rem to keep from blowing primers, which the other brands handled just fine.
Just too bad folks are paying norma prices for what in my opion is very poor quality brass.
RR

I also am unimpressed with the noslers, the lot of 270 cases I have from them, were pretty consistant, but the loads I used to fireform them to 6.5 Gibbs had to be greatly reduced below what I use for win or rem to keep from blowing primers, which the other brands handled just fine.
Just too bad folks are paying norma prices for what in my opion is very poor quality brass.
RR

Well, I will test you theory today because I will be working up to 60gr IMR4350 which worked just fine in my Winchester brass without any pressure signs. I do load my Mark V 30-06 to 270 and 25-06 pressures because the modern rifle with the steel in them today can take it. So I will see today and you could be right. Thanks for the heads up to look for.

I've heard that the Noslers in 30-06 are heavier than other brands which would support the argument that the internal capacity is less; hence lighter charges may be called for. That in and of itself is of course not a quality issue...

I don't think I would try to load ANY brand straight out of the bag. All I use is Winchester in my 300WM, it's easy to see that some of the necks are dinged in the bag. I neck size them, and they're always shorter than trim length at this point. I don't care about accuracy on the 1st load (it's not bad anyways, at least at 100 yds). Second load is neck size and trim, at this point they seem much more consistent when getting to the trim phase.

I don't shoot near the volume of many of the guys here nor am I as picky or thorough with my reloading, yet this cheap Winchester brass had never caused me an issue and my oldest cases are on their 8th reload with zero issues (no annealing, never needed a F/L size yet). Accuracy is 1/2 MOA or so in a factory gun, no complaints.

YMMV if you have a tight custom chamber vs my factory one.

I yi yi... I had the same problems and sent them to Nosler. When I measured the wall thickness of the case neck, it varied all the way around the neck. And it is suppose to be Premier brass, ready to go and competitive with Lapua!

The neck thickness is not the only thing that is defective on the batch of brass I got

DSCN0892.jpg

DSCN0894.jpg

the one on the right has a thicker rim and it is rounded on top. The rim is also .001" larger in diameter. It did chamber and shoot.

The problem with the changing heads is that when you seat your bullets into the brass, most of the seating depths will have to be checked and re-checked, seated and then re-seated in order for the seating depth of the bullet in each cartridge to be uniform. But what you haven't discovered is that the angle of the shoulders also varies.

The chamber for my new .30 win mag has been cut for the Norma Brass.

Eric,
Your particular reloading problem probably isn't what you think. When reloading belted calibers you need to measure the case width just above the belt. Take a look at my website, and you'll understand. I have at least 10 pages (with pictures) that describe exactly what you're experiencing.

- Innovative

Holy Mackerel . . . .. .!!!

Over the last 40 years of handloading, I've seen a jillion cases, and have rarely seen anything as whacked out as those cases in the pictures from Woods. However, one time I came across two new Remington cases that didn't have a flash hole. The brass that I prefer is Lapua, Federal, Winchester - in that order. They're all good. There's no need to use anything less quality than that. Norma "used to" have a very good reputation. Keep in mind that it just takes one jerk on the assembly line to wreck a companies reputation.

- Innovative

Last edited:
I also like Lapua, however they have discontinued manufacturing their brass for the .300 win mag. Norma is a Very Good brass, with consistent metallurgy and wall thickness. Norma's shortfall is the uniformity of their primer pockets. Once properly prepped, its top drawer. You just have to sort through it.

I have to ask, what the heck is going on in this industry? The level of incompetence is mind boggling, and the majority of the scopes manufactured are made in china or the Philippines and have terrible internal components. If they were to hold their zero for longer than one day, I would be seriously impressed. And as you probably know, it doesn't end there...

-WWB

I hate cases with the fat rims like the ones pictured above by woods. I have used at least 1000 6.5x47 Lapua cases over the last couple of years and all of it has been pretty good except 100 pieces that I got last year. The rims on about 1/2 of the cases would not fit in a shell holder. It is hard to size or prime brass when it will not fit in the shell holder. I think I ended up spinning them in a cordless drill and using a needle file to thin them down, cant remember exactly. But I do remember I was very disapointed. Seems like Lapua even has QC problems at times. I have never had any problems with Nosler brass in the past. Hopefully they will get thier QC problems in check.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.