30 NOSLER OR 300 PRC

Dave, I. Sure it was me who somebody was referring to if you read through the thread that I referred to the 30 Nosler as fitting ALL factory actions out there better than the 300 PRC better simply because of mag box length. I referred to your post as it was never intended for off the shelf rifles that's it. Nothing more nothing less.

Hey guys someone alerted me to this thread. I'm not going to read all the BS.
Oh come on its only 33 pages:D
In all seriousness thanks for your contribution to the 300 PRC's development.
We need innovation in the LR shooting world despite what the haters say..

Dave, I. Sure it was me who somebody was referring to if you read through the thread that I referred to the 30 Nosler as fitting ALL factory actions out there better than the 300 PRC better simply because of mag box length. I referred to your post as it was never intended for off the shelf rifles that's it. Nothing more nothing less.
Not a problem. Civil disagreements are always welcome.
Factory ammo fits most magazines just fine. Factory chamber and factory ammo shoots pretty good in most rifles. The PRC wasn't designed for mid length magnum actions. COAL/Mag length we can and do manage just like any round in the custom world. The one thing you can't change is the geometry in a 1.350" action. Personally I would prefer smoothing reliable feeding in a hunting rifle. With some cartridges that means a single stack magazine. Over the years I've used a lot of Weatherby 30-378 mag boxes for RUM's. You reduce the capacity by one round but it sure feeds better. No hiccups or hesitation. My hunting 300 PRC is a standard magnum 700 with SAAMI chamber. 212's at mag length @2825( yea I know that's a bit slow but my shoulder appreciates it) and it shoots 1 1/4" 3 shot groups at 200. Feeds slick as snot. I don't need more.

Based on Dave's input, I guess I just lucked out by rebarreling my 300RUM to 30 Nosler because at the time I never considered the feed rail issue. Using the 30 Nosler in a Rem mag action has worked well for loading long bullets or lighter bullets out a bit. Feeding from the BDL magazine has never been a problem.

I highly reccomend a centerfeed BDL from Wyatts for any case, rebated or not. They feed better than you will ever get a stagger working, and they put less side pressure on the bullet when feeding, lessening the chance of loosening your neck tension. Thats a real issue. I have cycled the same round multiple times only to have the bullet fall out because it was handled too roughly by the feed cycle. If you tune a center feed bdl right you have a hard time even feeling if you stripped a round or not. Its tikka-ish ;) Any of the big 30s need a wyatts extended box when throated properly. So pick your poison I doubt the game will know. I'll chamber up a PRC as soon as ADG or Lapua starts making brass. Im a big fan of this size case and glad to see them.

I've built PRC's on Ultra mag actions and it just works with the staggered box. As Alex said a center feed box removes all the drama with larger cases. My PRC feeds like a 30-06. A standard magnum action has rails to accommodate a .532" diameter rim. Same diameter as the PRC.
I would like to see other offerings for brass but from what I've seen people are trying to get very close to 300 Norma velocities with less powder. You can't fool Mother Nature.

Seeing as both the 30 Nosler & the 300 PRC are priority Case Cartridges with only One Brass Supplier what is the Concrete set in Stone Case Capacity of Each? There should be a reliable exact number.

Seeing as both the 30 Nosler & the 300 PRC are priority Case Cartridges with only One Brass Supplier what is the Concrete set in Stone Case Capacity of Each? There should be a reliable exact number.
There are at least 4 companies making brass for the 30 Nos.
Nosler, Hornady, Bertram, and ADG. If you mean they are proprietary, once a cartridge receives Sammi certification anyone can make anything they want.

I went the 300 PRC route twice now. Going to go back to the 300 win mag. I have all the stuff for it and while I liked shooting the 300 PRC and really like the concept of it I shoot my 300 WM very well. While messing with my PRC I got an a-bolt 2 in 300 win mag and filed out the magazine to shoot the Berger Hybrids. Got it to shoot the same velocity as the PRC with just as good accuracy. Went a different route with the PRC action(338RUM) but still have the stock and bottom metal. Thought about building a 300 PRC again or the 30N. Decided I have always shot the win mag very well and am looking at going this route. I found a Remington 700 stainless ultra magnum action to use for the build. Do you guys think I am nuts going back the the 300 WM with the ultra mag action and accurate mag/PTG bottom metal? With more magazine clearance it should be darn close to the other big 30s (not Ultra) with the higher BC bullets? Also was going to start neck sizing a few firings in between full sizing brass for longevity. With the newer brass coming out for the 300 lately it seems like a no brainer? My first rifle was a 300 WM and at 15 it was all I had shooting prairie dogs and everything else till I got a .22-250 at 18.
Merry Christmas!

I went the 300 PRC route twice now. Going to go back to the 300 win mag. I have all the stuff for it and while I liked shooting the 300 PRC and really like the concept of it I shoot my 300 WM very well. While messing with my PRC I got an a-bolt 2 in 300 win mag and filed out the magazine to shoot the Berger Hybrids. Got it to shoot the same velocity as the PRC with just as good accuracy. Went a different route with the PRC action(338RUM) but still have the stock and bottom metal. Thought about building a 300 PRC again or the 30N. Decided I have always shot the win mag very well and am looking at going this route. I found a Remington 700 stainless ultra magnum action to use for the build. Do you guys think I am nuts going back the the 300 WM with the ultra mag action and accurate mag/PTG bottom metal? With more magazine clearance it should be darn close to the other big 30s (not Ultra) with the higher BC bullets? Also was going to start neck sizing a few firings in between full sizing brass for longevity. With the newer brass coming out for the 300 lately it seems like a no brainer? My first rifle was a 300 WM and at 15 it was all I had shooting prairie dogs and everything else till I got a .22-250 at 18.
Merry Christmas!
Nothing wrong with the win mag. That being said I'm pushing 245 bergers at 2925 in my prc. Don't think a win mag can get there. Every load I have for varying eight projectiles my prc pushes them faster than my win mag and just as accurate.

I am finding that I get these larger magnums and I'm backing loads off anyway so that they are 50-100fps slower (still book fast)to save on barrel and pressure for different areas and temperatures I work. That is impressive for your PRC!

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with the win mag. That being said I'm pushing 245 bergers at 2925 in my prc. Don't think a win mag can get there. Every load I have for varying eight projectiles my prc pushes them faster than my win mag and just as accurate.
Thats awesome with the 245's!
I'm having a 24" Rock Creek barrel chambered here in the next few weeks
I went with the 30 Nosler, it'll be throated for 245s
If I can get 2900 with H1000 I'll be pumped.
Could you please share some details on your barrel and powder used.

I ditched the 300 wm years ago, and there's no freaking way guys are matching prc or 30 nos velocities with it at equal pressures.