30 NOSLER OR 300 PRC

The 3.715 mags from MDT will work with both factory loads but a cip mag set up would be better for room. On the plus side if you had a new ruger rpr magnum both the 338 and 300win come with the 3.85 cip mags standard. The brake while very effective for the shooter. It really sucks if you on the line with someone shooting it. Blew crap all over me today

Believe it if you want I saw it with my own eyes, and chrono. How could he mix them up he wasnt even a handloader why do you think he was shooting factory ammo.

I set my 33 Nosler to run at about 3.6 OAL..it made all the difference, if honrnady would do a 338 PRC then I'd buy another reamer...here are are my 33 Nosler ammo set at 3.54 OAL

I'd probably go 300 PRC for a bit better case design

Attachments

• IMG_2327.JPG
    IMG_2327.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 421
Witch and why?
A better question is what do you want to do and why?
If you want great brass(Lapua),and plan on shooting 225's or 230's than check out the 300 Norma.
I ordered an action for the the 30 Nosler, and after researching the Norma sent it back for a Lapua action.

Believe it if you want I saw it with my own eyes, and chrono. How could he mix them up he wasnt even a handloader why do you think he was shooting factory ammo.
I'm not saying you didn't see it or it didn't happen. It's hard to believe that it came that way without someone really screwing up. I shoot alot of practice with factory match ammo simply because of brass. I have not seen those issues in 20 cases of ammo a year. I teach and it is something they can buy. I have a set price for my cost analysis that performs at a level above my students capabilities. When I do brake out my handloads in a class they can't shoot well enough to see a difference. When you shoot a 1 hole .3-.5 group with box stuff they can buy it helps them understand it's not the gun or ammo

A better question is what do you want to do and why?
If you want great brass(Lapua),and plan on shooting 225's or 230's than check out the 300 Norma.
I ordered an action for the the 30 Nosler, and after researching the Norma sent it back for a Lapua action.
I am not a reloader I don't have the time. I was really just wondering about the two and what People thought about it. 1 simple question and you can get a lot of info here.

IMO. If you want to hunt and shoot long-range and do not re-load there are only a few good calibers out there for that 300 WinMag 7mm. Rem. Get quality and more of the shelf most anywhere

I considered both plus the 300 rum and after weighing the pro's and con's I'm building a 300wm with the broz spec'd reamer to run the 215 bergers.

Hard to argue with tried and true performance, a huge supply of brass and factory ammo.

When you shoot a 1 hole .3-.5 group with box stuff they can buy it helps them understand it's not the gun or ammo

Very true! I've done this with folks before to make the same point.

Between the PRC and the Nosler, I'd just pick whichever one comes in a platform you like. If you build a PRC the chamber will already be set up to run at 3.700". If you do the Nosler you'll just have to make sure it gets throated to work with a longer OAL than a SAAMI spec reamer, but that's a very easy thing to fix. If you see yourself buying factory ammo then the PRC will probably have more options than the Nosler

The RUM and Norma are great rounds but really in a different performance bracket. If you'll use the extra capacity though they're great. I haven't played with the 300 Nosler but I've had a handful of 300 RUMs (still have 1) and they all performed well. Personally if I needed more performance than a hot rod 300 Win Mag handload/300 PRC/30 Nosler would offer, I'd just move to a 338.

We all have opinions and you have seen most of them in this thread. I personally disagree with some of what has been posted. Just looking at the 300WM, 30 Nos, and 300PRC on paper. I believe the Nosler has the best case design. Some do not like the rebated rim and I see the point but it has not hindered me. The throat is best on the prc but if you are building custom that is irrelevant. I brass selection goes to the WM. I would like to see more options on the nosler but that is just for options if one source dries up. I have been playing with ADG in the WM and CM and it is consistent but is softer than nosler brass which is quite the accomplishment(not in a good way). I am not sure what is considered "standard" magazine but if the 3.4" is what is being referenced as standard I can not wait to see the death of the 3.4" magazine. I will pour the gasoline light the match and throw some dynamite on it for good measure. It is a relic from last century that needs to be forgotten. If we are talking about the 3.7" the prc fits just fine. As far as throwing speculation out the window and seeing how they perform I have a fresh WM barrel on hand and a prc and fresh nosler barrel on order to do a straight up comparison between the 3 using 215 Bergers and H1000. The review will be on Rokslide and I will post updates for anyone who cares to follow along.

I have to agree- time for the 3.4" mag to die off. It's beyond me why Nosler set it's long actions at 3.4", more than enough action length to get to 3.7-3.8" but with the trigger design and the bolt stop location its tough to get more length from their rifles. Really limits what their own rifles can do, especially in 33n.

The intriguing thing about the 300PRC is this. The DOD tested the 300 norma 300win and 300prc for elr. The 300PRC was the hands down winner so Barret has a contract to build them. Now this would be in a mass produced ammo being for the military not an anal retentive bench rest reloader type setting. This would be on par with the 6.5 creed and from what I've heard about the 6.5 PRC it is also very forgiving to load as well. This has to be in the design for the PRC to win this contract. The Nomra and 300Win mag are already in the system. The 300 Win mag with the mk 248 mod 1 has issues and the mk 248 mod 0 is subsonic inside a mile. The norma in military dress is not @100% load density. Any kind of high angle shooting and it is inconsistent.
Time will tell however with Lake city brass soon to be in the system, I would think we will have a fairly consistent good brass option soon.

Recent Posts