30 Nosler Ladder Test Input

I have 3 - 30 Nosler's currently. in 2 I use H1000. One settled in at 84.9 grains @ 3,097 FPS. The other has a long FB and it settled in at 85.8 grains 3,105 FPS. So, pending on your FB and how your chamber is setup I wouldn't throw out the 86.0 grains. I would play with it more. If you can in this heat cool your barrel as cool as you can. Then let your barrel sit in the sun and heat up. If you still don't have a lot of pressure at 86.0 then I'd run it there. I've ran lot's of loads through them. And all the loads liked the 82-83 grain area also which is around 3% off the next node up that gets you to the 3,100 node. The 30N is very predictable with the 215's. If you not scared of running off the jamb or into the lands a little, the 30 nosler loves it there!
Good to hear!

Unfortunately, I am limited by mag length - so the closest I can get to the lands is .025. I think we have talked before about the 30 N, but the freebore is rather large so I could run the 215's.

What did you think about my 81.5-83.5 grain node? Nothing there really looked that great

I dont think you will get to 3100fps with a 24" barrel, 3030-3050 is my guess were your accuracy is gonna be.
My Bartlien on my 30-28 is Money at 3085fps in a 26". Its in the middle of a good powder node. As soon as a go past 3100 it falls apart.

I dont think you will get to 3100fps with a 24" barrel, 3030-3050 is my guess were your accuracy is gonna be.
My Bartlien on my 30-28 is Money at 3085fps in a 26". Its in the middle of a good powder node. As soon as a go past 3100 it falls apart.
Yeah 3,100 is cruising. I would be happy with anywhere from 2,950 - 3,000 as long as it was accurate

I like the idea of testing the primers here - but not so much sending another 20+ rounds down the 30 Nosler barrel lol
Correct me if I am wrong but 30 Nosler isn't going to be a barrel burner…I get not wanting to spend components tho

Correct me if I am wrong but 30 Nosler isn't going to be a barrel burner…I get not wanting to spend components tho.
Its not not as bad as a 28 but if your not careful. I bet around 800 -900 maybe little more if you take care of it.
And its gonna depend on your accuracy requirement.

I've never seen a 30 nosler not run the 215's easily and accurately under 3,040 or so. And that was a friends saami chamber .140 FB.

It's fine the lower nodes. But then again that's 300 WM territory.
Good point. I would love around that 3,050 range for sure - but I am trying not to get concerned to much with velocity until I get the groups figured out.

I am thinking that a primer test might be my answer. Then pending the results, maybe another small ladder test

how do you do a ladder test without chrono data? I have had bullets land next to each other that are 50 or more fps apart.
Meh because all I have is a cheap Caldwell Chrono and I am 100% positive that it could easily have a 50fps variance between shots of identical speeds. A labradar is in my future, but I just haven't made the jump yet. Plus at the end of the day, the target doesn't lie and all I care about is a load in my velocity range that is stable and repeats. I really don't even trust that chrono to get velocity data as my dopes have been off in the past - I am going to use a reverse zero in the future

I like the idea of testing the primers here - but not so much sending another 20+ rounds down the 30 Nosler barrel lol
A couple things no offense intended.

It may not like the bullet. Don't get married to a certain bullet or powder. I shoot 215's out of my 300 PRC. It doesn't like H1000 but does like N570.

As L Sherm stated try a couple different primers.

You can't develop a load without shooting your rifle. Accuracy trumps barrel life in my mind.

Could it be you? How much experience do you have shooting at longer distances?

A couple things no offense intended.

It may not like the bullet. Don't get married to a certain bullet or powder. I shoot 215's out of my 300 PRC. It doesn't like H1000 but does like N570.

As L Sherm stated try a couple different primers.

You can't develop a load without shooting your rifle. Accuracy trumps barrel life in my mind.

Could it be you? How much experience do you have shooting at longer distances?
I am not against trying other powders - really looking for advise from others that have experience

My OP said that this was my first ladder test - so not much experience at all shooting long distances - so I am not saying that it isn't related to me at all. I will say that I have been shooting my entire life and with an Atlas Cal Bipod and a good rear bag, all of my shots felt really solid.

100% agree that accuracy trumps barrel life - hence why I have not complained about it in this post. In the grand scheme of things, barrels are cheap

Meh because all I have is a cheap Caldwell Chrono and I am 100% positive that it could easily have a 50fps variance between shots of identical speeds. A labradar is in my future, but I just haven't made the jump yet. Plus at the end of the day, the target doesn't lie and all I care about is a load in my velocity range that is stable and repeats. I really don't even trust that chrono to get velocity data as my dopes have been off in the past - I am going to use a reverse zero in the future
You don't need an expensive lab radar. I've been using a magneto speed for years with no problems.