Ladder Test Results - 30 Nosler - 215 Hybrids

Yes. I'm not trying to argue with people I am just not sure someone getting in their first custom who in a previous post said he was using to hunt 400-500 yds. and I don't see what appreciable differences he would see at those distances.
Different outlooks I suppose.

I don't see the downside to the longer throat.

Yes. I'm not trying to argue with people I am just not sure someone getting in their first custom who in a previous post said he was using to hunt 400-500 yds. and I don't see what appreciable differences he would see at those distances.
If you put it that context, you could argue there's no benefit to several cartridges over other cartridges….

The benefits are obvious as have already been outlined in previous posts.

The only reason, and really it is the only reason, to keep a 30 Nosler chamber SAAMI spec is simply if you have a gun who's magazine length is such that you can't use a longer freebore setup. And this why the Nosler lineup is hamstrung from the get go. The M48 rifle is limited to 3.340" OAL, and as such limits the amount of bullet outside of the case, and still fit the magazine.

Basically, if you do to the 30 Nosler what Hornady has done to their Creedmoor and the PRC cartridges, you benefit from a better designed chamber. Simple as that.

Last edited:
If you put it that context, you could argue there's no benefit to several cartridges over other cartridges….

The benefits are obvious as have already been outlined in previous posts.

The only reason, and really it is the only reason, to keep a 30 Nosler chamber SAAMI spec is simply if you have a gun who's magazine length is such that you can't use a longer freebore setup. And this why the Nosler lineup is hamstrung from the get go. The M48 rifle is limited to 3.340" OAL, and as such limits the amount of bullet outside of the case, and still fit the magazine.

Basically, if you do to the 30 Nosler what Hornady has done to their Creedmoor and the PRC cartridges, you benefit from a better designed chamber. Simple as that.
I agree. I am not saying they couldn't have designed the cartridge better. That is why I am currently building a 300 PRC rather than the Nosler. My only point is someone in Fnlights position will never know the difference with the ballistics, accuracy or terminal performance. Where it could potentially hurt him is if he ever was in a bind and needed to shoot factory ammo or was going to sell it to someone who doesn't reload.

I agree. I am not saying they couldn't have designed the cartridge better. That is why I am currently building a 300 PRC rather than the Nosler. My only point is someone in Fnlights position will never know the difference with the ballistics, accuracy or terminal performance. Where it could potentially hurt him is if he ever was in a bind and needed to shoot factory ammo or was going to sell it to someone who doesn't reload.
IME shooting factory ammo even with a long jump will work. My factory .308 was shooting 1/2" groups even when it was jumping .220". It's now jumping .055" and it still shoots 1/2" or better groups.

I wouldn't let what-ifs factor into my decision at all. As the saying goes, YMMV.

Thought I'd update here for those that discussed some info I posted, hope @Longtine88 doesnt mind.

Remeasured my chamber and got a BTO measurement of 2.790 so I loaded up some for a seating depth test. This barrel likes 2870 with the 215s so this is where we ended
CA5C1FC2-B55B-422B-93A1-0AB874816430.jpeg

I think that will work

@Longtine88 would you happen to have a picture of your loaded Alamo 30 Nosler round with a Berger 215? I just got mine and feel it is really short.

My CBTO to lands with a 215 is 2.697. I feel this is extremely short? Right? Here is a loaded round with 215's at .010 off lands.

My Redding seating doesn't even like to seat them that deep lol. The first time I run it through the die I have to rerun it through because the first pass doesn't seat them all the way - that might be a die problem though I guess. For example to get to my 2.687 (.010 off lands) my first pass with the seating die would measure 2.7++ - then I would just lower the ram and do it again to get to the 2.687

Attachments

• 20230115_003220.jpg
    20230115_003220.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 50
  • 20230115_003215.jpg
    20230115_003215.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 59
  • 20230115_003203.jpg
    20230115_003203.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 50
  • 20230115_003129.jpg
    20230115_003129.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 58
What your describing can be caused when you have a highly compressed load. The bullet is protruding so far into the case it's basically running out of room to be seated at that depth. The first attempt at seating is stopped at the point the powder is compressed. The second attempt seats it deeper as it further compresses the powder column. This will occur until the powder column can't be compressed any farther. Take one of your rounds you charged with powder but haven't seated a bullet in yet and hold a bullet along side of the case at the finished length of one of your rounds. You can look in the case and see how far the bullet has to compress the power column to be seated at that length. You may have to decrease the powder charge or change to a powder that takes up less space. This usually decreases velocity.
I would have to agree with you, that looks darn short.

What your describing can be caused when you have a highly compressed load. The bullet is protruding so far into the case it's basically running out of room to be seated at that depth. The first attempt at seating is stopped at the point the powder is compressed. The second attempt seats it deeper as it further compresses the powder column. This will occur until the powder column can't be compressed any farther. Take one of your rounds you charged with powder but haven't seated a bullet in yet and hold a bullet along side of the case at the finished length of one of your rounds. You can look in the case and see how far the bullet has to compress the power column to be seated at that length. You may have to decrease the powder charge or change to a powder that takes up less space. This usually decreases velocity.
I would have to agree with you, that looks darn short.
I also thought about this - but would I be able to hear the powder when I shake the case if the load is compressed? When I do this, it sounds like a normal round. I might go pull a bullet and take a look at this though because I don't want a compressed round.

Doesn't it seem short?? I mean I tried to seat them a bit longer thinking I might have messed up my test with the OAL length guage and then they wouldn't chamber in the rifle haha. Seems odd.

I also thought about this - but would I be able to hear the powder when I shake the case if the load is compressed? When I do this, it sounds like a normal round. I might go pull a bullet and take a look at this though because I don't want a compressed round.

Doesn't it seem short?? I mean I tried to seat them a bit longer thinking I might have messed up my test with the OAL length guage and then they wouldn't chamber in the rifle haha. Seems odd.
If you can hear the powder it's definitely not compressed. You could always seat the bullet in a case without powder and see if it does the same thing. I bet it's the way the seating stem in your die is contacting the bullet. I've had this happen before. What brand are the dies? Some come with a "vld" seater. These are the three different ones for my 300 prc all have 215's in them I use the left one.

Attachments

• C905314D-7E60-452A-867D-617860E809ED.jpeg
    C905314D-7E60-452A-867D-617860E809ED.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
If you can hear the powder it's definitely not compressed. You could always seat the bullet in a case without powder and see if it does the same thing. I bet it's the way the seating stem in your die is contacting the bullet. I've had this happen before. What brand are the dies? Some come with a "vld" seater. These are two different ones for my 300 prc both have 215's in them.
The die is a Redding Competition seater - I ordered a VLD seater and put that one in.

I will try seating a bullet without powder and seeing what it does.

How do you fix it?

I just started using Redding competition seater in my second 6.5 saum and it does the same thing with 131 hammers but not the 124's or 140 Berger's. I haven't messed with it yet. On my prc die it would only do it with 181 hammers and I switched stems and it fixed it.

It seems like your barrel has a short freebore but is strange because others from the same place are longer and they only use one reamer supposedly?

I just started using Redding competition seater in my second 6.5 saum and it does the same thing with 131 hammers but not the 124's or 140 Berger's. I haven't messed with it yet. On my prc die it would only do it with 181 hammers and I switched stems and it fixed it.

It seems like your barrel has a short freebore but is strange because others from the same place are longer and they only use one reamer supposedly
I am going to try an unloaded round and see if it does it - if it does, I'll switch back to the factory stem and try again

I 100% agree on the throating. I feel it is really short. I thought my measurements were off - but I mean a longer round doesn't even chamber lol. Now I need to decide if I want to take it do a smith to have it extended or just try it and see how it shoots. I guess if it'll shoot 2900+ and accurately I'll be fine