28 Nosler - Ladder Test Results

I have been using IMR8133 in my 28 Nosler, but load development for the 180gr ELD-M. I have burned through nearly a pound of it, and my last string of shots, I was all over the target. Roughly 40 rounds down from the last cleaning. I cleaned my barrel and noticed a lot of carbon, more than when I used Retumbo. The velocity for my rifle was about the same or just a little under what I was seeing with Retumbo. I was hoping this could be a replacement powder for RL33 or on same level as VV570, but my little bit of experience with it, it seems to be the same as Retumbo. I will say even on the Max load from the Hodgon website, I did not experience any pressure signs. I think it could be a replacement powder when no Retumbo can be found. However, I would recommend you try it for yourself, your rifle may like it better.

33 is perfect in the 28 with 195s. I have built a lot of them and the accuracy of that combo has is hard to believe. So far as temp sensitivity, you will need to test that for yourself.

IMO, both nodes are worth looking at and you may be exactly correct. I generally find that my most reliable loads are not my top node. It would be worth the effort to load up 8 or 10 of each and take them out as far as you can go and see how they do. If you can go real far, like 900 or 1000, you don't even need a chronograph. Just try to pick a time that's not to windy. If it's a hunting rig, a stout load in a less than perfect shooting position could wiggle you around a bit so like I said, both nodes are worth looking at.

Just a bug in your ear... I've read a few things about Retumbo being "temperature sensitive" in cold weather. That's more pressure when it gets cold! Weird I know. Your upper node could be a thing in that scenario.

Anyway... you gun shoots and so do you so your on the right track.
This advice is spot on, if you want to test your nodes, test in 10 shot groups at distance at both nodes, there's nothing to lose doing so.
As Mike says, the top node may not be the better node, the next lower one is often the most consistent.

Retumbo is getting to be my 'go-to' powder in 264WM, 270 Weatherby, 300WM & 338Edge. RE33 is a close second in the 264 and the latter 2.

Cheers.
:)

This advice is spot on, if you want to test your nodes, test in 10 shot groups at distance at both nodes, there's nothing to lose doing so.
As Mike says, the top node may not be the better node, the next lower one is often the most consistent.

Retumbo is getting to be my 'go-to' powder in 264WM, 270 Weatherby, 300WM & 338Edge. RE33 is a close second in the 264 and the latter 2.

Cheers.
So you guys pick the middle charge in one of the nodes and send em long ?

So you guys pick the middle charge in one of the nodes and send em long ?

IMO, a node is a node. I'd try them both. One will most likely do better than the other. Personally, I care nothing about 50 fps difference one way or the other. A good node does well if you are .1 grain or so off or the temperature swings a little bit. 10 shots of each should tell the tale. Yes, I usually pick a charge in the middle of a node. If it does well, I may go back and test the whole node in .1 grain increments just to see if there is a little more magic to be had.

As your ladder points to 2 nodes, testing both in the middle load and varying .2-.3gr above that, depending on cartridge of course, is where you will find your node. The Nosler case could easily hold a .3gr variance due to it's size, but use .2gr to be precise.
The softer node is often the wider one, as has been stated, so if either show a tendency to not change or flatten out in velocity with a .2-.3gr variance, then the upper node my not be anywhere near max pressure.
I did note you said you got ejector marks at 83gr, so a 1gr or a little less reduction from this may not be the answer in getting a wide node.
My 32" 300WM barrel likes a load right at 65,000psi, the brass doesn't so I selected the next lower node that is .5gr stable right out past 1200mtrs.
I can actually reduce or increase the charge .3gr without issue, this is what to look for in a node. The ladder showed a horizontal line for all shots .5gr +/- of the middle load @ 600mtrs. Even @ 1000mtrs the vertical is spot on, wind is another factor however.
This particular load has an ES of 8 and a SD 2.6 over 20 rounds fired in differing conditions even if there is a .1gr variance in charge weight. I don't even weigh the charge, just throw it from my measure.

Edit to add:
Mike338 posted as I was typing....beat me to the punch.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I'm getting 3040 or so with 77.2 of retumbo in a 26" barrel. What length barrel do you have?

Is your chamber standard or the long throat. I assume you are running the 195s

I am getting 3012 FPS with 78.2 grains retumbo is a standard chamber.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.